TROOPERS! Where are you?

The Troopers were the first drum corps I ever saw.

A Troopers t-shirt was the first drum corps shirt I ever bought.

I've always have loved that corps.

My two years there were some of the most "Western" kind of shows you could possibly have. But the show concepts, and recognizable charts, scarves, and even home-town advantage in Denver in '04 weren't enough to create competitive success.

It takes all elements hitting on all cylinders. And a great administrative/organizational setup.

Troopers will be just fine -- and I look forward to seeing them each and every time they hit the field!

All the best to the fine folks from Casper, Wyoming!

Chuck Naffier

• Like 3

Watch out Troopers! Grannies knickers are on fire! :cool:

Thanks a whole bunch for giving me a great laugh with this one.....LOL

Corps beware, when Granny's dentures are a tad loose, she misses a senior club meeting or worse yet....runs out of metamucil...lookout....she comes out swinging.....

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

I usually don't post on here anymore but I just wanted to say a few words about the Troopers. I watched them rehearse for three hours, tonight, and they should be very proud of the product they are putting on the field. No matter what the scores say the Troopers organization is working extremely hard and the staff really love those kids. They pushed themselves in the Texas heat and rehearsed until they could not see anymore (No stadium lights). Congrats on a fine show and good luck on the rest of their tour.

• Like 4

Being a Scout alum I can say that we have always loved the tradition of the Troopers. Like the Scouts, the Troopers have a deep tradition and history that they can pull from. Unfortunately, for some reason the Troopers have gone away from their tradition on the field. Madison has tried to find a balance of modern music with some traditional Madison style and tunes in the show. Give me some Ghost Riders in the sky Troop!! Where is that famous "circle drill!" One of my favorite all time openers was the 1986 opener the Troopes did!!! And they could write some awesome arrangements of western tunes like "Billy the Kid"! Their biggest problem is that they have gone away from their roots of who they are. Just remember who you are with a little modern twist! But you have got to be consistent about it for at least two or three years in a row to build momentum!

I think the formula used in 2009 was brilliant and it proved to be successful! Like many corps who make a finals appearance for the first time in a while, Troop tried to step it up in 2010 and the show was too hard! That said, I like both of those years and it was the lack of patience that I think cost them. Now i believe that they can make finals in a short amount of time if the re-establish their identity but they've got to hit reset! Look at the Xmen... Going back to tradition but doing it in a new way is always a great idea!

Wes P

• Like 1

The issue of kids leaving lower level Corps for higher placing Corps is a separate issue however, imo. This is a problem issue for all lower placing Corps, imo.... irrespective of the type of show they put out on the field. I do understand that perhaps the talent level of the marchers might be down a bit for the Troopers this year. But the Show Theme, music, visual gives them little chance of success this year, no matter their talent level. I see this Corps having a adult staff issue, more than a marching talent issue. But who knows. I wish them well in the future.. because I love this Corps, always will, and want to see them succeed.

Ding.

Try rebuilding a drum corps with a quality design AND instructional staff. Now imagine that corps is in Casper, WY. You have to fly all staff into Denver. Then bus them up 4 or 5 hours to the ### end of nowhere. And if you get somebody solid, try and latch onto them before they flee to cushier and more elite locales.

I don't envy the task of Troopers leadership.

• Like 1

I think the formula used in 2009 was brilliant and it proved to be successful! Like many corps who make a finals appearance for the first time in a while, Troop tried to step it up in 2010 and the show was too hard! That said, I like both of those years and it was the lack of patience that I think cost them. Now i believe that they can make finals in a short amount of time if the re-establish their identity but they've got to hit reset! Look at the Xmen... Going back to tradition but doing it in a new way is always a great idea!

Wes P

Thank you. This is a good way to put it.

Locale is a factor. But, I respectfully disagree in the fact that location is the major factor in attracting the best talented staff. Again, I really feel like Troop has gone away from their identity. Also, for God's sake please bring back that traditional Ohio 11th Calvary uniform!! I had a conversation a while back with the owner of a uniform manufacturer that made new uniforms for the Troopers. He said that they literally begged the Trooper administration to not change the traditional look of the Troopers, just slightly modify. However, to no avail the staff demanded a new, more modern look. Of course they got their new look. But, the manufacturer was so disappointed! It's almost like the current Trooper staff thinks Trooper tradition is too old to relate to the modern drum corps fan.

Sorry, I meant location is not a major factor yet.

Yeah, when they finally do it like in 09 nobody is happy for them. Instead they keep saying how they shouldn't have been there.

I'll disagree. I know MANY people thrilled to see them in. I wasn't able to be in Indy, so I made a friend call me so I could hear Brandt announce them onto the field. Funny, but sounded like that crowd reacted much better for that than they did for BD's winning performance

• Like 2