2012 Teal Sound "Letter of Explanation"

Tarheel Sun was out of the Raleigh area of NC, not Florida (Tarheel like the UNC Tarheels).

Sorry to nit pick.

Oh, true. Sorry. I just had them grouped in with the Southeast corps, sorry for the confusion. I guess with Southeast corps, we could throw Southwind in to the pile as well

Raleigh is home to some of the best BBQ in the world, by the way. Anyone who is ever there stop by The Pit, and get yourself some chopped pork and brisket.

Edited by fsubone

FWIW, do we know for sure that Teal Sound didn't do something similar? We only know about the fallout/aftermath, not really the full story, how the steps that brought them to this place.

Regardless, it sounds like Raiders are dangerously close to being in a similar situation; I hope they can get the funds together and complete their summer tour

Yes.

Raleigh is home to some of the best BBQ in the world, by the way. Anyone who is ever there stop by The Pit, and get yourself some chopped pork and brisket.

. . .someone has never been to the BBQ Festival in Lexington, NC then. :tongue:

I miss Tarheel Sun; the jazz reps were awesome . . .loved seeing them and ECJ at shows together in the late 90s.

And we were proud of them last year too. As brass caption head I was proud of what we did in 2011 with Teal especially considering the limitations we had for staffing and all the other problems that hit us. The kids were TAUGHT and taught well do I do take a bit of an offense to The suggestion that there wasn't good teaching going on at Teal last year or in years before

The brass line finished a tenth or two from 18th despite all the issues we dealt with. Until you understand a corps complete situation I suggest you don't implicate the teachers. I won't even touch the part about teal vs a band.

I wish nothing but the best and hope the kids get through this.

Not sure who you are responding to, but if it's KickHalts, he wasn't comparing Teal to a HS, he was comparing another corps...

The staff at Teal did a GREAT job with what they had...I dont think anyone said that.

• Like 2

The people in "The Arts" based activities tend to at times lead with their heart rather than with a business minded approach. We all participated in this activity at one time for the love of the activity and the emotional value it brought to us. The comment of flying home to get more money is an example of this. Well meaning and heartfelt, but hardly a good business decision for Teal or more importantly the directors family. I agree with Donnie that this corps should not have left Florida. Trying to make everyone happy and feel good left everyone involved sad and miserable.

Drum Corps teaching and performing is emotional. Leave the running of the corps to someone who is "Black and white" when it comes to business. You have to take the emotion out of the finacial end. The kids should not have been allowed back to the next camp without dues being paid. This would have solidified the winter numbers and you would have known the corps outlook. In these hard economic times, running a business on a bunch of IOU's would be a losing gamble at best. No one should be fronting a corps success out of their own personal financial wallet

Hopefully they can restructure and come back as a stronger group. This is going to be a much harder task, especially when recruiting.

I think as of now, Tampa Bay Thunder is the only corps left in Florida, or are they taking the year off?

Actually, the Sun Devils (DCA) still exist in Florida. We had to sit out the 2012 season. We are currently mobilizing and restructuring for 2013.

Not taking the focus off this thread. Just wanted to let the world know there will be another option for 2013 in Florida.

• Like 1

I hope they figure out another way to raise some funds in addition to tuition for the future! And I saw a post on Facebook asking for donations from an alum. One thing that would help them is if they figured it out on the field. I saw them last year and would put a USBands group 1A band up against them and the marching band would have looked and sounded better. It was not good. I know the talent isn't that high, but good teaching can go a long way. And I know they have had some super talented members over the years. I heard they were fairing better this year on the field though. That is good news. Hopefully they can continue the season!

A little harsh.

Depending when you saw the corps, they were certainly not prepared at the beginning of the season. By the time they went to West Chester, they were much better.

I do get to see a lot of the USBands Group 1 bands every year. At the beginning of the season they have a lot of problems with their shows as well. Some are even hard to watch.

But by the end of the season, they certainly improve.