How can smaller DCI corps survive?

The way I would see this G7 split-off idea working would be to have it as shear for-profit entertainment and eliminate the judging competition. Why? Because imagine a touring show that combined Blast/Blue Man/Stomp. People from around the world would flock to that touring show. And that type of entertainment structure would potentially work for Cadets/Devils/SCV/Crown... However, add judging competition into the mix the top say (3) would become the new elite and the self-devouring would start all over again.

Insightful post. I hadn't thought about taking away the judging and just making it a tour. That might work, just don't try to turn DCI into this.

I've thought this myself concerning a split off. It would probably be the G7, and an 8th or 9th corps might get talked into going, but they would have to know that that the architects of the plan (Hopkins and Gibbs) would sacrifice one of their own in a HEARTBEAT to gain share and control over the product. It would end up being the top 3-4-5, and the new "little guys" would be expendable.

Imagine a world where the G7 leaves? I think the following years championships might suffer a bit attendance wise, but in a few years we would have the cream rising to the top and have some super interesting finals weeks.

Think about who it leaves in "DCI", and how "any given night" would be . . .Madison, Boston, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Academy and Spirit . . .Finals week would be a lot of fun.

What galls me the most about these guys still wanting to leave is the fact that they think they can hold the rest of the corps hostage with this "threat".

If I were Dan, I'd say "okay, see ya later", disband Open class, put everyone in one division, and we'd still have twenty some corps.

Maybe you have to make Finals top ten instead of twelve and tweak a few things, but it still could work, especially if touring is revamped to accommodate those corps still left.

Yeah, kids would still want to march BD or Crown because of the name recognition, but they also probably want to march Madison or Boston for the same reason. . .and given that the G7 breakaway would probably include some sort of Hop-driven instrumentation or show change, there might not be as much call to march those units as one might think after a few years.

Hell, after this "schism" or whatever . . . if I'm Dan, I'd be tempted to partner up more with DCA, and have DCA work to help to incubate new corps regionally until they might want to consider a DCI "tour" down the road.

Quality might be a little sketchy top to bottom the first year without the "big names", but I'd think it would even out pretty quick.

As for the G7, perhaps all the bells and whistles of making a for-profit, anything goes marching arts spectacular works . . .and it goes off like gangbusters. Good for them. Might even go see it. It's going to be work trying to establish yourselves, though. Name recognition only goes so far.

I would hope the G-whatever directors have already thought through some of the hypothetical issues if they're still planning on leaving:

For example:

. . .what happens to BDB and SCVC? Do they still exist as part of "DCI"?

. . .what kind of rules, tour, sponsorship and so on are you planning on? You can't make it up as you go. Age limit? Tour fee?

. . .are you still a 501c3 org? Fundraising? Discussion with alumni before making such a decision?

From the sound of the past off-season, I don't think DCI is going to bend anymore than it already has to keep the G-random number corps around, so perhaps things finally come to a head soon.

It needs to, for the good of both the G7 and DCI itself.

... If I were Dan, I'd say "okay, see ya later", disband Open class, put everyone in one division, and we'd still have twenty some corps....

I have high respect for Dan; but he does not have that power within the DCI structure. The title of Executive Director with DCI is "not" the same as most other corporations. Dan is more of an Executive Manager whereas he can only manage, not direct (i.e. he cannot make CEO the buck stops here type decisions). He can only "manage" what the DCI board has him manage.

I have high respect for Dan; but he does not have that power within the DCI structure. The title of Executive Director with DCI is "not" the same as most other corporations. Dan is more of an Executive Manager whereas he can only manage, not direct (i.e. he cannot make CEO the buck stops here type decisions). He can only "manage" what the DCI board has him manage.

I understand that, certainly . . .but I would think that the way the new BoD is set up after last year, there is going to be a little less tolerance of the "posturing" the G7 is doing this time around.

Guess we'll see. :smile:

The scholarship ideas sound good. As for the rest -

This idea assumes that there are 12-15 current World Class Corps that seem to be using the current touring model with success.

The number is more like 17 by my estimation.

A second touring model, still A WORLD CLASS touring model, could be established. It will interact with the current DCI tour model that will continue for the top 12-15 corps. The current tour already provides from 1-5 shows in the various geographic areas between June and July. That enables these corps 1-5 opportunities to compete without touring in the first 6-7 weeks of the season. Those opportunities provide judging feedback, competition, and the ability to perform for the same crowds as the "big tour" for that period. They also will allow for these corps to earn prize monies just like everyone on the "big tour". When the tour moves on and no local competiton is available, these corps would hold local camps and practices, have local community performances, parades etc, all without having to travel. They prepare for their tour, which starts in Atlanta, and follows the big tour to Allentown and then on to Indy. A 3 week tour, same sheets, same crowds, same prize money. This SIGNIFICANTLY lowers operating costs per member.

Corps can do this now. Jersey Surf did exactly that for the past 3 seasons. Now, they are joining the tour in San Antonio along with 2 or 3 other corps.

Let's make a clear point: there is an established series of drum and bugle corps shows nationwide and the G7 can't be in two places at once. There are, for the most part, two tours going on at the same time... call them the East and West tours....with the corps OCCASIONALLY meeting for the big events (DCI EAST, DCI TEXAS, DCI ATLANTA, etc).

The G7 statement from last year suggests that they are "the drawing card" and the success of shows (attendance) is based primarily on their appearances and, by extension, they should be awarded the headliner's share of the gate. That might be a reasonable conclusion but for the fact that there might not be real evidence to support it.

Drums Along The Mohawk is a successful show year in and year out and has a 25 years+ history. It has much less to do with the LINEUP and much more to do with the cultivation of a following over time through ads, word of mouth, band program relationships and community support (mayor, festival promoters, etc). The "fans" are those families who put this particular event on the family calendar as a happening and simply know "the corps are coming to town". Most -MOST - 90%? 95%? - can't name one corps at their kitchen table. The comings and goings and scores and nuances of "the activity" aren't on their radar for much more than a few days...the day leading up to the show (dont forget, we're going to the show tomorrow)...show day...and maybe, MAYBE the day after (wasnt that a great show?)

Let's say the G7 is out west somewhere doing their thing....the clinics, the special get-togethers, etc. Take them out of the loop altogether and present the DATM people with a lineup of the "other" WORLD CLASS CORPS to choose from. Regardless of whom they choose, they still get a WORLD CLASS lineup to present to their fans. (They don't call it WORLD CLASS for nothing...nobody "sucks"...they all have the cartoon-like entourages, classy presentations, shiny bugles and drums and, when its all said and done, none of the fans will leave crying over the results of the "contest" or "who wasn't there"... in all seriousness, and this might be a hard thing to hear, they just don't care. They are just going to "see the bands."

And which "bands" are they going to see? LOOK AT THIS YEAR'S LINEUP....NOT ONE G7 in the bunch! But 7 corps with "enough" name recognition to put on a helluva show and all for the bargain price of $18 - $26. The host doesnt go broke paying through the nose for any of the supposed "drawing cards" and I am here to tell you that adding the Cadets or BD or SCV to the lineup WOULDNT MAKE A BIT OF DIFFERENCE IN THE NUMBER OF TICKETS SOLD or the level of enjoyment the fans would experience. If you bring Aunt Mary to the show and ask her at the end who she liked, her answer will be "THEY WERE ALL JUST GREAT and I had a great time visiting with you; LETS DO IT AGAIN NEXT YEAR". That's it, folks.

Ankeny, IA doesnt NEED any of the "drawing cards" to put fannies in the seats. ANKENY and the show HOSTS are the drawing card. THEY earned the repeat business of the paying customer. Same with Lake Erie, Lynn, MA and 40 other shows. THE CORPS DONT REALLY MATTER. The SHOW itself is the happening, "the corps are coming"...

let's test this out on dcp.

• Like 2

I understand that, certainly . . .but I would think that the way the new BoD is set up after last year, there is going to be a little less tolerance of the "posturing" the G7 is doing this time around.

Guess we'll see. :smile:

what makes you think alot changed.....just because one doesnt have a title doesnt mean they still arent steering the boat

Edited by GUARDLING

Ankeny, IA doesnt NEED any of the "drawing cards" to put fannies in the seats. ANKENY and the show HOSTS are the drawing card. THEY earned the repeat business of the paying customer. Same with Lake Erie, Lynn, MA and 40 other shows. THE CORPS DONT REALLY MATTER. The SHOW itself is the happening, "the corps are coming"...

All valid points. Except the Ankeny, IA school district and band boosters no longer felt it cost effective to support the DCI show. It moved to West Des Moines for 2 years (even changed the competition name) and is now in Waukee, IA back under the long time name of "Celebration in Brass."

Though as I write this, I know Jersey Surf appeals to many college kids because they get a drum corps experience but can still earn some money during the summer.

Corps can do this now. Jersey Surf did exactly that for the past 3 seasons. Now, they are joining the tour in San Antonio along with 2 or 3 other corps.

I have seen this claim and idea a couple times. It really is not true, at least not that I have seen last year or this year. (My daughter marched there last year). Apart from the 3-5 days that some kids "go home" in between their two tours, the schedule and commitment are the same as any G7 corps. Those 3-5 days are not any chance to work and make any kind of money. Anyone who thinks that Surf is a "weekend only" corps is mistaken.

Edited by truman