DCI HOUSTON - Hot, Humid, & Happening!

I was at this show. The crowd was NOT happy with BD's first place finish.

As far as I'm concerned, Vanguard and Phantom took in the shorts. Both corps played and marched better than Crown and BD, and the boos in the crowd let the judges know it.

I'm sad to see Cavies so far down this year, but they just do not have the concept or the chops to go higher at this point.

Flame away!

Flame away!

Not happening.

Personal attacks are not allowed on DCP. :cool:

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, Vanguard and Phantom took in the shorts. Both corps played and marched better than Crown and BD, and the boos in the crowd let the judges know it.

I'm sad to see Cavies so far down this year, but they just do not have the concept or the chops to go higher at this point.

Flame away!

Yes, because the crowd is totally a group of trained music/visual adjudicators :rolleyes:

BD is outmarching everyone else so much at this point it's hilarious.

• Like 1

I was at the show also. I don't know what you're talking abt. Scores are not based on what the crowd likes or doesn't. I'm not a huge fan of BD this year, but I know they are head and shoulders above the rest. Phantoms show is too easy. Vanguard is coming on, but their brass demand is nowhere near crown n BD. Cavies look and sound very young. Guard isnt what it's been. I had a great seat fornthisnshownand everyone around me gave BD a nice ovation. No boos around me, must have been in the bando highschool area.

Flame away!

Maybe there will be a day when BD and Crown people can sit in a circle and hold hands and sing "kumbya" together.

I'm gonna say this, BD is BD they have a formula, they know how to win championships, and they don't care who gets angry, because they going by holding another 1st place victory.

I have no comment because I haven't seen BDs show, I will this evening.

I enjoy crowns show, however my favorite this year is SCV, (it was crown).

Edited by ohwiseone

So, I was at this show, fairly high up, and I can understand how BD is significantly ahead of everyone in terms of uniform marching technique, but from a visual ensemble standpoint, the drill design seemed extremely chaotic, and honestly it looked written to be dirty. Most of the other corps had pretty readable drill, and while dirty, it was pretty easy to figure out what they were trying to do. To me, BD's drill design just seemed like an absolute mess 75% of the time. I understand that a lot of it fits into the dada theme, but how does someone look at that and think, "wow, that's so clean!"? I've really enjoyed the innovative visual designs they've put out the past couple years, but I feel like I'm missing something with the drill this year, can anyone explain?

• Like 2

1342840530[/url]' post='3178991']

Basics:

Icy Chinese beautiful princess has a chip on her shoulder from a previous suitor that dumped her. Since then, she has all suitors' heads chopped off. (See them around the end zones?) Those that pursue her must solve the answer to a riddle of THREE PARTS (see the THREE Chinese kites?). One man, Calef, takes the risk and proclaims his love, solves the riddle. She finally comes around (short version) and falls in love (change to beautiful blue guard uniforms).

What I love most about this show is the tension...you think it is calming down (princess is getting a grip on life), then BAM...off with another head! Hope that helps. PR fans...correct me if I've got anything wrong.

You got the main gist. The princess vowed that no man shall ever have her because an ancestor princess/ruler of hers was abused and killed by a man. She thinks the soul of this princess is inside her. There are three riddles. The answer to the first one is Hope (white banner). The second one is Blood (red banner and bloody scene). The third is her name Turandot. After answering the third riddle, she still shuns Calef (she takes her hair down and does angry dancer). Calef gives her an out if she can guess his name by morning. No one sleeps that night (Nessum Dorma). He ends up telling her his name but she chooses not to tell the kingdom she knows it the next morning. She figures he is not so bad after all. She says his name is Love.

Several other parts of the story were left out. But that is what you have to do to cram an opera into a DCI show format.