San Antonio Sizzler!

Yea, I would have placed OC just below Pacific Crest on World Class sheets... that would be like a 71. Usually much more of a difference in scoring than just 7 points (78 to 71).

OC had a 5 pt penalty for being late to the starting line.

Yea, I would have placed OC just below Pacific Crest on World Class sheets... that would be like a 71. Usually much more of a difference in scoring than just 7 points (78 to 71).

OC had a 5 point timing penalty due to the guard being late to the field...would have been 83.4

General effect has nothing to do with crowd appeal. And while you are "booing the judges" you are also expressing your opinion that the kids that worked their butts off to get First Place didn't deserve to get First Place. But if being rude makes you feel better about yourself, go right ahead.

This is what is lost of many of the posters on this site. Some group could go out there and play "Party Rockers" or "Macarena" and the crowd would probably go nuts. A lot of people in these crowds are educated and know what to look for, but an equal number are clueless.

• Like 6

It's easy to understand why the finals are played in a dome...weather. Last year's finals would have had to been rescheduled due to the bad weather that night. If you recall, last year's finals were the same night as that awful thunderstorm that caused a stage to collapse elsewhere in Indiana and killed some people. I'm flying to the finals this year and my flight leaves Indianapolis to go home on Sunday morning. If there's bad weather I will miss the finals. So I think having the big competitions like tonight and the finals is smart financial move by DCI.

At least Lucas Oil Stadium has a big retractable roof, and big window wall that can be opened. Do they let DCI open it during the competition (when the weather is nice, of course)?

Let's get real. The "kids" aren't even there. It wasn't a full corps retreat. The members of the corps were probably back at the buses.

What corps you join is a choice nowadays. If you join the Blue Devils and aren't aware that not everyone likes what you represent, you are pretty naive.

If you join drum corps to be loved, maybe you should pick another corps. The Jersey Surf, perhaps.

I think the audience of drum corps has a right to express their displeasure if what they enjoy is not being reflected in the scores. How else do they communicate to the judges and the "powers that be" that what they are defining as "general effect" is not reflecting their opinion? This is all the audience has as a feedback device.

I really like what you've said, barigirl. I'm a huge Blue Devils fan, but I know that what they perform is often controversial. I'm ok with that! I admire their tremendous skill and talent as a corps, and I appreciate

their passion for doing things differently. Go BD!!

I just wanted to say how enjoyable this season has been to watch. There's a ton of corps that have been resurgent (Crossmen, SOA, Madison),

some incredible section performances (SCV Percussion/ BD Percussion; PR Guard/BD Guard, a ton of great brass lines), Some brilliant show

designs (I am one of those that actually likes BD's show - and I wish some of the "Sansabelt" wearing crowd of DCP would understand that life

moves forward, not in reverse), and what I think it's the singularly most difficult drill over the entirety of a show I've ever seen (Crown).

While I understand that posting is a matter of expressing one's opinion (just like I'm doing right now), I just wish that all the folks that complain

about the state of the artistic side of the activity would just wake up. Shows haven't started "off-the-line" in decades. The last time I saw someone

younger than 70 years old at a VFW function was like...never. "G" Bugles belong in today's corp environment as slings for snares - we're wayyy beyond that now.

The activity is for THIS generation, and we should be blessed to watch it. Synth and sampled sound have every place within the activity - because that's

the time we're in. (If you don't know who Tiesto is and think Skittles is a candy that competes with M&M's then you'll never have a clue. B flat horns and Tubas

help kids more easily transition over to the activity from their instrumental music backgrounds. (Do you honestly think you could have marched 210 BPM

backwards carrying a Contra from "back in the day?" More importantly, did you ever march 210 BPM or was your biggest achievement marking time with your

toe pointed downward against your knee?

Hopefully folks will get the point of this rant - Let's just thank all the staffs that continue to introduce exciting new stuff each and every year. Sometimes it works,

sometimes it doesn't. But holy WOW there's always so much to absorb.

San Antonio was GREAT to watch, and the coming weeks should be even more fun. Enjoy it! Stop whining about how YOU can't stand BD this or BD that.

Or how Madison is the best because they remind you of you did it back in the day. Admire Madison for how THEY'RE doing it THIS day. Your day is over.

So be a fan, or go take your passionate complaining elsewhere....

• Like 6

i don't understand why/how it takes so long for recaps to be put online...

wouldn't it make sense for someone to be punching in scores into a sheet throughout the show? less work in the end, more time to check accuracy, faster getting it to fans...

At least Lucas Oil Stadium has a big retractable roof, and big window wall that can be opened. Do they let DCI open it during the competition (when the weather is nice, of course)?

Yes, it can be opened, and has been. But when it's 76 inside the stadium, and 90 and humid outside, would you really want it open?

• Like 1

I stopped going to Drum Corps shows with an old friend a while back because he spent all his time pissing and moaning about judges, scores and placements. My suggestion that he sit back and enjoy what all these talented kids did on the field fell on deaf ears.