So THAT'S the TOC?

I thought the whole premise of the TOC was a "complete package", a 3-hour action-packed good time of instant encores, fan involvement, corps in the stands and everyone clapping. I realize the FN didn't pan and I'm probably not giving the excitement its real due, but I was bored to tears in between corps. The most exciting extra content I saw was BAC's guard warm up and a drum set player before the show started. Beyond that I only heard corny interviews with fans.

If I am seeing it right, is it an indication that the TOC experimental capitulation is not what the G7 had in mind? The corps seem to be doing their job on the field, but I thought these corps directors had the marketing power to produce a better show than DCI can, Dan's guys, can. Anyone have any info of the BITS? EDIT: Is DCI (whom I presume is running this series), with this "basically a drum corps show" approach, giving the G7 reason to end the experiment and move on?

The "original threat" was that if the G7 didn't get their own show they would bolt. I seems reasonable to me that, at least from the vantage point of the camera lens, this is not what they had in mind.

I'm thinking towards September.

I LOVED Phantom's show, and was more engrossed in SCV than I have been in years. I wish Crown's show made sense to me because their captions are all killer (though I was a little underwhelmed with the guard). Loved the BAC intro "And now, the TOC's most recent member..." I will admit to enjoying seeing the 8 great shows at one sitting. I'd rather not comment on BD because I don't want the thread to descend into a bash-fest.

I did like the random drawing selection angle and I think it adds to the rationale of making every show, all across the country, all season (except finals week) a random-appearance event.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

If I recall correctly the TOC compromise was a two year trial and temporary solution to the G7 requests. Does this ring a bell with anyone else? This is the second year. There are rumblings that the G7 is not dead, only building steam or at least politicking behind the scenes.

My real hope is that one or more of the original G7 directors bails, and the no more directors get carried away with their corps own self importance. I would love to see Madison, Boston (or any other corps) crack the top 7 and break up this game. Time will tell.

As far as the TOC shows go, maybe all the extras were happening at the event and just not shown on FN? I think the events were listed on dci.org, so I'll assume that had some things going on to promote the TOC thing.

• Like 1

I thought the whole premise of the TOC was a "complete package", a 3-hour action-packed good time of instant encores, fan involvement, corps in the stands and everyone clapping. I realize the FN didn't pan and I'm probably not giving the excitement its real due, but I was bored to tears in between corps. The most exciting extra content I saw was BAC's guard warm up and a drum set player before the show started. Beyond that I only heard corny interviews with fans.

If I am seeing it right, is it an indication that the TOC experimental capitulation is not what the G7 had in mind? The corps seem to be doing their job on the field, but I thought these corps directors had the marketing power to produce a better show than DCI can, Dan's guys, can. Anyone have any info of the BITS? EDIT: Is DCI (whom I presume is running this series), with this "basically a drum corps show" approach, giving the G7 reason to end the experiment and move on?

The "original threat" was that if the G7 didn't get their own show they would bolt. I seems reasonable to me that, at least from the vantage point of the camera lens, this is not what they had in mind.

I LOVED Phantom's show, and was more engrossed in SCV than I have been in years. I wish Crown's show made sense to me because their captions are all killer (though I was a little underwhelmed with the guard). Loved the BAC intro "And now, the TOC's most recent member..." I will admit to enjoying seeing the 8 great shows at one sitting. I'd rather not comment on BD because I don't want the thread to descend into a bash-fest.

I did like the random drawing selection angle and I think it adds to the rationale of making every show, all across the country, all season (except finals week) a random-appearance event.

I agree with you . I really wish they had picked a differant name for these shows. Should be called ," Last years top 8. "

Edited by Bill L.

I saw the instant encores last year in the meadowlands. Little pockets of groups came out before the show and did little dances and quartets etc. Then after the show the corps would come right to the pit and play a watered down version of prior years numbers or just anything. no excitement.

I saw the Rockford edition last year, and the instant encores, with the exceptions of Cadets, were limp, disinterested affairs from everyone else, where you could tell that the staffs thought the idea was bull___. Not having them is no great loss, unless the corps decide to get serious about them and actually make them into something interesting.

Edited by mobrien

I am wondering if they realized, that in the heart of the season, they dont have time for the kids to work on the bells and whistles

I saw the Rockford edition last year, and the instant encores, with the exceptions of Cadets, were limp, disinterested affairs from everyone else, where you could tell that the staffs thought the idea was bull___. Not having them is no great loss, unless the corps decide to get serious about them and actually make them into something interesting.

Agreed. The Cadets did something cute but they also ran the longest. The instant encores were a bust I think. The show ran long and the audience had zero time to breathe and think about the shows they saw.

An as Jeff points out, working up a special encore plus small performances plus a mass encore all waste time the corps would rather use in other ways.

I'm assuming the TOC shows generate a significant amount of extra revenue for these corps though. And they probably somewhat hurt attendance at the big regionals. I didn't realize it was supposedly a "two year experiment" though. Wonder if they will continue or try to take the next step.

If I recall correctly the TOC compromise was a two year trial and temporary solution to the G7 requests. Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

No, it doesn't.

We had an entire thread last year devoted to people asking if there would be a TOC in 2012. That's because the 2011 TOC press releases never said whether it was a one-year-only deal, a multi-year experiment, or a permanent feature of future DCI tours.