I Loved Blue Devils

Seriously. The borg is nothing when you are dealing with species 8472....

I think the Blue Devils are selfish. In a time when we want to improve the fan base; entertain the crowd, they want to do just what it takes to win.

I dunno. We say the BD are selfish, but then we ask them to play what we want them to play, design the way we want them to design, be who we want them to be, because we're the fans, we're the audience, and we pay. And if they don't, we'll sit on our hands, we'll boo, we'll complain on DCP, we'll go grab a hot dog when they perform, we'll rally to get the sheets changed, we'll threaten to stop following the activity altogether.

All of this, even if there are 12+ other corps that we find satisfying.

BD might be selfish. But what are we?

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 9

You said it, we are the paying audience, who came to be entertained. By all the corps. And let us not forget. There are quite a few shows that have 8 or less corps at them.

I really, really, want to see BD win without using a gimmick like props and moving props. At this point, thats really any reason they've been winning since 09 and they can't seem to let go of it.

Like really, every year since 08 (minus 2011) has been "Constantly Risking Absurdity". This year is just "Constantly Risking Absurdity Part IV: The DaDa Movement"

Edited by Njfritz
  • Like 1

I think the Blue Devils are selfish. In a time when we want to improve the fan base; entertain the crowd, they want to do just what it takes to win. They are one of the best executing corps ever, but if every corps did this, there would be only the music majors, philosophy majors, and die hard drum corps fans in the seats.

Why won't corps realize who comes to shows, and create shows that are appealing to them, and not something that is rewarding to themselves and the judges. If you are honest with yourself, and listened to the applause meter, BD didn't get a round of applause that was commensurate with their 1st place show, and this has happened many times in the past.

It feels like; let the other corps bring in the fans, and we will do a show that wins - popular or not, we don't care.

I will lead the charge for the BDs when it comes to the quality of the members, but have to question their choice of material in their shows just to win and put the paying fans second.

Completely disagree, and the moment you start labeling fans and presume to know what the "crowd" (i.e., all fans) finds entertaining you're argument falls apart. It's insanely easy to counter anyway -- I haven't met one person in the stands who hasn't enjoyed the Blue Devils show this year. So, to each their own I suppose.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 7

I really, really, want to see BD win without using a gimmick like props and moving props.

Well, I suggest you check out 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2003 and 2007. Those twelve examples should keep you busy for a while.

• Like 5

Well, I suggest you check out 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2003 and 2007. Those twelve examples should keep you busy for a while.

I've seen all those, I was just saying that to say "I wish BD would go back to their roots" without actually saying it. I dislike modern BD, a lot.

• Like 1

Be absolutely honest here, Oldsnare.....let's assume that BD came in 5th or 6th in SA....would you really still say all of this about them, selfish, etc?? My guess is no. Your concern is not that they present (what is to you) a high brow show with no crowd appeal. Your real concern is that they are winning with it. And did you ever consider that "if every corps did this",,maybe it would have less impact (not that I've seen many other corps designing "out there" where BD is).

BTW, there are many old curmudgeons (cough, cough, Chatty T, Garfield, Ream), who have some nice things about this year's BD production....are they dashing to the souvie trailer, probably not...but they aren't music majors either! rolleyes.gif

I may be old drum corps as far as when I marched, but I am 100% behind today's activity. I would not like their show no matter where they placed. I just don't think they are considering the fans when they choose their show - all about themselves, and I believe the fans express that at the end of their performance - polite but not entertained.

• Like 1

Yes. I would say the same thing, and you know that I would. I don't care about them winning, I care about them doing a show that seems to be very divisive to the fan base, and doesn't seem to be causing the standing ovation, clapping, screaming and cheering reaction we normally expect from a drum corps performance. I've loved some of their shows, 2000 is phenomenal, 2008 is a work of art, but still hit the right balance between artsy and crowd appeal. It doesn't seem to be that they're selfish, it just seems like they openly know that they're going out and doing a show that they know won't be a crowd favorite, but gives them a high chance of winning every year.

I think I've been pretty complimentary to them this year, why am I not included in your list? Is it cause I'm not an old curmudgeon? :tongue:

Well Bone, you are clearly not a curmudgeon, but keep trying! :tongue:

What you are is the hope and future of DC. A former MM who understands the value of the activity and the passion to plead for what you believe are the things that will preserve it. I share your hope, but I also seek variety in the things that entertain me. You can be critical of any design as long as you observe it without prejudice...and so often (particularly of late) BD gets vicerated for designs that fail to meet the expectations of some fan's "order of things", i.e. musical phases designed to twist our ear and disturb us, then briefly hint at the expected and yank it away, or drill that is so complex and orchestrated that it appears at a glance to be vague, easy and random. It's just a style Bone, not an intentional thumbing of the nose...just another way of looking at the tools DC designers are given, i.e. dimension, sound, timing, musicality, precision, resolve, complexity, unison and filling the field.

Lastly, my point, that appears to be lost to oldsnare, corpsband, yourself and others is that...when you attach these designs to a corps that continues to dominate the silver/gold categories they are elevated to ridiculous levels of hyperbole. Take that dimension away and it's just another corps trying something new on a very flat field.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 3