I Loved Blue Devils

The first two World Class judging sheets are General Effect Visual and General Effect Music. On both of those pages, the first bullet point under the heading "Repetoire Effect" reads "Audience Engagement", and the first bullet point under the heading "Performers" reads "Performers Engage the Audience".

Now, as you indicate, there's lots more to be considered.

Which is only on the new sheets, correct? And looking at this thread, I'd say there's plenty of people that love the show.

The first two World Class judging sheets are General Effect Visual and General Effect Music. On both of those pages, the first bullet point under the heading "Repetoire Effect" reads "Audience Engagement", and the first bullet point under the heading "Performers" reads "Performers Engage the Audience".

Correct. You left out the fact that audience engagement doesn't mean "audience appeal" or "entertainment value". I haven't seen one anti-BD poster try and make a successful argument that Devils aren't engaging the heck out of everyone. Especially DCP posters.

• Like 2

Correct. You left out the fact that audience engagement doesn't mean "audience appeal" or "entertainment value". I haven't seen one anti-BD poster try and make a successful argument that Devils aren't engaging the heck out of everyone. Especially DCP posters.

I didn't leave anything out: I quoted the sheet verbatim. That the sheets are rather coy as to the definition of "engagement" is certainly worthy of more discussion, I agree. However, I have in fact seen a few comments on DCP pointing out that to be bored or confused by BD's show --and to come here to ask why the judges were scoring so highly a show that some find boring or confusing-- is not to be engaged by it.

• Like 1

Engaging

adjective

1. winning; attractive; pleasing: an engaging smile.

engage[ en-geyj ]

verb (used with object)

1. to occupy the attention or efforts of (a person or persons): He engaged her in conversation.

Not exactly. Engaging does mean pleasing and attractive.

Does "engagement" have to mean a standing ovation or screaming?

• Like 1

At Denton Thursday and SA last night--I was at both shows on the 50--the Blue Devils did not engage the audience. At the end of their performances, they got about as much applause as Forte. Polite. Unenthusiastic. No standing O. I'm not saying BD does not deserve their scores. But it's beyond obvious that this activity is all about the designers and the judges, which are basically the same community.

The corps that got the most overwhelming audience reaction on Sat. in SA was Jersey Surf recreating the Bridgemen 30 years later. Huge responses multiple times throughout their performance and a standing O during the final portion. Technically, Surf's show doesn't begin to compare to most of the corps above them. But the difference in audience reaction was pretty stunning. The only other corps, day or night, that got a standing O well before their performance ended was Madison in response to the rotating pinwheel & company front.

• Like 1

I think the Blue Devils are selfish. In a time when we want to improve the fan base; entertain the crowd, they want to do just what it takes to win. They are one of the best executing corps ever, but if every corps did this, there would be only the music majors, philosophy majors, and die hard drum corps fans in the seats.

Why won't corps realize who comes to shows, and create shows that are appealing to them, and not something that is rewarding to themselves and the judges. If you are honest with yourself, and listened to the applause meter, BD didn't get a round of applause that was commensurate with their 1st place show, and this has happened many times in the past.

It feels like; let the other corps bring in the fans, and we will do a show that wins - popular or not, we don't care.

I will lead the charge for the BDs when it comes to the quality of the members, but have to question their choice of material in their shows just to win and put the paying fans second.

NO you are the selfish one! Why do you think that just because some people want Johnny comes marching home and endless company fronts and people playing air guitar that everyone is being represented when they are not?

• Like 5

NO you are the selfish one! Why do you think that just because some people want "Johnny Comes Marching Home" and endless company fronts and people playing air guitar, that everyone is being represented when they are not?

Would you be pleased or disappointed if every corps' show was more like "Cabaret Voltaire" and less like "12.25", "Turandot", or "For the Common Good"?

• Like 1