not cool

In my opinion of course,

G.

• Like 2

annoying and rude - which the OP observed

not cool

In my opinion of course,

G.

Who is it rude to? The drum majors don't care and I would venture to say most of us like that they stand by their tradition.

There are a lot of traditions in drum corps that could easily be taken as rude and annoying... Like when a corps is walking down a street and passersby have to wait until the entire corps is passed to get to the other side of the sidewalk because members refuse to break rank. There is no real purpose for that in today's world, but corps continue to do so. Should that go away? I don't think so.

• Like 4

The speed concerns are one thing.

Last night the first DM's stopped a little short of the right hand side of the field which caused a number of DM's to be to the extreme left of where the camera angle was. Why? Too many people.

Question: Why is it necessary anymore to bring color guard people to the awards ceremony? So that the DM's salute and the color guard can "emote?"

I've seen awards ceremony representatives to the tune of 5+ people.....!

No one guards the colors anymore. IMO, leave the color guard captains with the rest of the corps.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

The Troopers DM slow and stern walk is really getting under the skin of some of the newer fans it appears. For close to 50 years, as far as I know nobody seemed to get angry and annoyed by this tradition. BUT.... times do change, and with this I suggest that the Troopers DM adopt a more fitting entrance for todays Drum Corps times to the post show field for the announcemrent of scores. Henceforth, it is my recommendation that he run pell mell as fast as he can out onto the field with his right hand planted firmly all the way on his cowboy hat to reach where the other DM's are. Once there in position with the other DM's, he should do a full 180 degree piroutte, then take his cowboy hat off, blow a kiss to the crowd, wave sprightly, and with a big smile. For contrast, he should position himself beside either the Jersey Surf DM's or the Velvet Knight DM's sitting in their beach chairs with beach umbrellas. This way they'll be much less angst and annoyance on the part of the newer fans with the traditional slow walk by the Troopers DM and the Troopers DM will fit in nicely with all the other DM's and the manner upon which they take the field for scores and the manner in which tjey position themselves along the sidelines for the scores. Running in Drum Corps is the rage these days. Slow march is not cool. So a run by the Troopers DM with aplomb into position would be a needed change that would fit in nicely with these modern times now, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

This is just silly. Let him walk his stride. At least some old school still exists.

• Like 7

I noticed this as well, I'm not offended by this, I think the slow walk and the not leaving the field before the colors is tied deep in tradition, and should therefore not be disturbed. I see how some people would be offended by his slow walk, but I think the problem might be the other DMs impatiently waiting behind him. If they just did a slow walk as well, the DM entry would be much more epic! :thumbup:

The Troopers DM slow and stern walk is really getting under the skin of some of tbhe newer fans it appears. For close to 50 years, as far as I know nobody seemed to get angry and annoyed by this tradition. BUT.... times do change, and with this I suggest that the Troopers DM adopt a more fitting entrance for todays Drum Corps times to the post show field for the announcemrent of scores. Henceforth, it is my recommendation that he run pell mell as fast as he can out onto the field with his right hand planted firmly all the way on his cowboy hat to reach where the other DM's are. Once there in position with the other DM's, he should do a full 180 degree piroutte, then take his cowboy hat off, blow a kiss to the crowd, wave sprightly, and with a big smile. For contrast, he should position himself beside either the Jersey Surf DM's or the Velvet Knight DM's sitting in their beach chairs with beach umbrellas. This way they'll be much less angst and annoyance on the part of the newer fans with the traditional slow walk by the Troopers DM and the TAroopers DM will fit in nicely with all the other DM's and the manner upon which they take the field for scores and position themselves along the sidelines. Running in Drum Corps is the rage these days. Slow march is not cool. So a run by the Troopers DM with aplomb into position would be a needed change that would fit in nicely with these modern times now, imo

HAHA! Awesome.

Thanks for all the explanations everyone. Was just curious, and it was just the way it appeared to me, not having any knowledge of the history. I can't believe this is the first time I've noticed it. Maybe I have before and have wondered the same thing, but since it wasn't too big of a deal in the GRAND scheme of things, I probably just let it go each season. However being new to DCP and having the question fresh on my mind from last night, I thought this could be my outlet to ask. Thanks again.

I think it's a cool tradition, but I can see how it can get in the way. It is always kind of funny when you see the corps behind Troopers step off, and then have to either go the same pace as their DM or keep starting and stopping in order to not run into him.

I think with last night's retreat, they could have just moved everyone down Side 2 a bit so that everyone could fit on the field. It was a bit annoying to not see all of the DMs on the field

• Like 1