So Sad

I disagree...you are looking at a model of how things were, not how things are and will be. The focus on scholastic musicians as members and audience ensures a never-ending supply of fans every year. As older fans fade away from attending, there is a constant stream of new fans taking their place. Some will stick, of course, and some will move on after their school careers are over. The key is the renewable source of people by focussing on scholastic kids as the primary audience/members.

The flame will not go out in such a world...like the Olympic torch being passed along the route, the drum corps flame gets passed on to each subsequent generation.

Being closer and closer to retirement I think more about "How the #### are the bills going to be paid". I can see DCI keeping fans and members by putting HS and college age tails in the seats. But how many of those seats are from special rate pricing and will those people continue to go to shows when they have to pay for full price ticket$. And how will this affect donations from past marching age people as the current donors age off. It's good that butts are in the seats but that's only part of what DCI needs to survive and think we forget that part when we look at attendance only.

And before anyone says "People will always donate" my response is "Will it be enough?".

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

What are the numbers of alums of Corps from years ( say ) 1990-2005 that are actively involved at least in some way in the Drum Corps activity today, Mike ? Those numbers DCI must have ( or should ) at their disposal. This 15 year period saw a LOT of marchers pass thru the DCI ranks in Corps. Probably over 30,000-35,000 would be my estimate in this 15 year time period. What percentage of them are volunteering ? Going to Regionals?, Finals?, contrbuting financially with donations to their former Corps?, training to be judges?, or instructors ? We naturally have always had marchers march Corps then leave and thats it... we never see them involved again. But with so few Corps today, the onus is much greater to have a much higher percentage remain as annual fans of the activity and as active contributors with their time, energy, dollars. We should have a pretty good idea now of what percentage of marchers from 1990 to 2005 that are still active in the activity, even just as fans. But at the shows I attend, it seems like the DCI graduates that would be in their late 20's to early 30's now from this time period are nowhere to be found, Mike. Maybe you are seeing the 27-35 year olders at DCI live shows and at the DCI theatre shows these days, but frankly I'm not seeing too many of them at all.

I don't have numbers, of course...it is all just anecdotal. But I see lots of 20- and 30-somethings on staffs when I watch corps rehearse. Don't know about behind the scenes. What I do know is that you are right...there are far fewer corps today. To me, it means that the model of who DCI looks at as members, primary audience and supporters has to change. They need to focus on the renewable source of scholastic programs, because the pool of corps veterans is constantly shrinking. The model has to change, or the decline in numbers will get even worse...IMO anyway. They need to have busloads of band kids with money from mom and dad to coe to shows and buy stuff. There will still be vets, of course...there are many at shows I attend. But that pool is shrinking.

Looking at this from a marketing perspective:

To constantly turn off past users of your brand in hopes of turning on new users who you have no guarantees will like your product enough to come back, is a stupid marketing plan.

No matter what business you are in.

It's much easier to keep a current customer than to attract new ones as long as you retain what it is about the product current customers liked.

One of the problems drum corps has is that the product itself isn't being produced primarily to please the people who are or might by tickets. It's being produced to appeal to the judges.

What makes anyone think that busloads of band kids are going to like what they see any more than people who actually used to march in the activity?

• Like 1

Iwas kicked off a FB group because I tried to converse with this type of person (OP). I was attacked and yet...I was the harasser! LOL How many times has Burger King changed their fries? People still eat them.

Maybe because im third generation in drum corps,i' ve learned you have to respect and pay homage to your past, for if it wasnt for the blessed scrament golden knights, blue rock etc. The activity would not have evolved to what it is today. The sport is always evolving the part we who are currently involved in the sport have to play is to not flame our elder corpsmen as it is a disrespect to the same activity you love, but let us tryvto explain to them where the activity has gone and whats relevent now, i appreciate what was winning in 72 as much as i do 2011, but i appreciate the old for what it brought to the new. Its all connected folks so flaming an old guy forvhis opinion instead of treating him with respect as a fellow corpsman is really just disrespectful to him, yourself and the activity. Take the time to explain whats happening now, they still may not love it, but they can understand what its trying to do.

And for yhe person who said its not thier activity anymore? How epuld u feel if someone told u that when u go to a show in some twenty years? Grow up and act your age.

• Like 1

The woman who sat next to said she really enjoyed watching the kids do all the intricate stuff on the field but she did not recognize any of the music.

The Cadets play "Jingle Bells" as part of their show this year.

How does anyone not recognize "Jingle Bells"??? :blink:

What makes anyone think that busloads of band kids are going to like what they see any more than people who actually used to march in the activity?

Because the shows being performed are the types of shows many are doing with their bands, or seeing in competition. It is what they are used to doing, seeing and hearing. There are bands that perform Scouts types of shows...Crown types...Cadets types...etc...just about every corps they see.

I would agree with the person who said you need to market this correctly. There are MANY former DC fans sitting out there that will not go to any shows anymore due to what it's become. I know quite a few myself and they were die hard fans. I've been sticking with it for quite some time now but I'm seeing what they're seeing. And I'm not liking it either. Look, you don't have to all use rifles in the guard or all do the same spins or some slow drill design or unplug ALL your electronics to draw folks that used to love the activity back. There are definately certain things that just annoy the H-ll out of us and that's constant talking through a show and electronics that go on and on and aren't used sparingly and tastefully. Also I think that more equipment use in the guard would help and less dancing around. Anyone can fling their arms around but it takes talent to twirl a present, like Cadets are doing this year. One of my biggest pet peeves is no creativity in the percussion section. This has plagued DCI for sometime now really. Once a Corps has success doing something,expect 5 corps the NEXT season to be doing the exact same friggin thing. Monkey sticking, bam EVERYONE is doing monkey sticking. Dancing while drumming, BAM EVERYONE has got some dance moves in the line now. That doesn't keep me away, it just a personal beef of mine 8} . Anyway, do some traditional DC stuff to draw the older folks in. The kids get exposed to the classic stuff and the fans drool over it. I'd LOVE to see some of the old Madison snareline rotations with the cymbals or playing off some pit drums, etc like they used to. That stuff is way cool and the kids would love it. More than one corps playing some recognizable stuff would help immensely as well. Malaguena, anyone? I'd love to see a show with a few songs instead of one with 6 songs all chopped up and jammed into the show sideways.

...at the shows I attend, it seems like the DCI graduates that would be in their late 20's to early 30's now from this time period are nowhere to be found, Mike. Maybe you are seeing the 27-35 year olders at DCI live shows and at the DCI theatre shows these days, but frankly I'm not seeing too many of them at all.

As an earlier post said, after they marched in championship winning shows "life" happened and they were disconnected from the activity for quite awhile before coming back. The same thing happened to me. I never marched drum corps, just h.s. and college MB, but got very interested in drum corps back in the mid-80's while living in CA and seeing Santa Clara and Blue Devils. Even after I got married I kept going to shows but after awhile "life" happened and I didn't go to any shows and missed the PBS broadcasts. When I was 35 or so I made my way back to the activity. Now almost 50 yrs old I go to all the local shows, subscribe to Fan Network,and go to the theater broadcasts. I even got to go to finals at the Rose Bowl which was the best trip ever.

Perhaps the late 20's and early 30's crowd you are looking for are in that stage of their lives where there is a lot of change with attention given to new careers and families, but will hopefully come back to be avid fans and supporters.

I would agree with the person who said you need to market this correctly. There are MANY former DC fans sitting out there that will not go to any shows anymore due to what it's become. I know quite a few myself and they were die hard fans. I've been sticking with it for quite some time now but I'm seeing what they're seeing. And I'm not liking it either. Look, you don't have to all use rifles in the guard or all do the same spins or some slow drill design or unplug ALL your electronics to draw folks that used to love the activity back. There are definately certain things that just annoy the H-ll out of us and that's constant talking through a show and electronics that go on and on and aren't used sparingly and tastefully. Also I think that more equipment use in the guard would help and less dancing around. Anyone can fling their arms around but it takes talent to twirl a present, like Cadets are doing this year. One of my biggest pet peeves is no creativity in the percussion section. This has plagued DCI for sometime now really. Once a Corps has success doing something,expect 5 corps the NEXT season to be doing the exact same friggin thing. Monkey sticking, bam EVERYONE is doing monkey sticking. Dancing while drumming, BAM EVERYONE has got some dance moves in the line now. That doesn't keep me away, it just a personal beef of mine 8} . Anyway, do some traditional DC stuff to draw the older folks in. The kids get exposed to the classic stuff and the fans drool over it. I'd LOVE to see some of the old Madison snareline rotations with the cymbals or playing off some pit drums, etc like they used to. That stuff is way cool and the kids would love it. More than one corps playing some recognizable stuff would help immensely as well. Malaguena, anyone? I'd love to see a show with a few songs instead of one with 6 songs all chopped up and jammed into the show sideways.

The musical and marching background of today’s performers and instructors cannot be compared with those that came out of the 50’s 60’s or 70's. For participants of those early days drum’ corps was their first experience with playing musical instruments and performing. Their musical sophistication was shaped by the limited exposure to organized musical instruction.

Today’s feeder system to the activity is high school band music programs that offer kid’s comprehensive training in music and performance. Tens of thousands of kids perform in compete sophisticated and challenging programs and get a taste of the competitive environment. They are taught and judged by many of the same individuals that will teach and judge them in DCI. Not all BOA, USBBA or other band circuit performers will choose to move on to DCI but those that do will expect and want to perform the type of show the top corps of today perform. That is their performance reference point and not the shows of past. Old school drum corps is just that to them, old school.