Forte ends season early

DCI is the problem and has been for awhile. The removal of the regional touring model (DCM, DCW, DCE, DCS, etc) has made it nearly impossible to start up a new corps and give it time to grow, structural and financially...not to mention the state of the economy and the rapid rate of inflation over the past few years. I suspect we'll see more of this, not less.

Unfortunately, won't cause many waves until it happens to one of the big boys, as almost happened to Cadets a couple of years ago.

The ECONOMY is the problem, and has been for a while.

I havent heard anything? Are Raiders going to make it onto their second tour? I know they were having issues too.

And as to open class/ world class threads. I think we should just change it too a DCI open discussion, because Open Class just doesn't get a lot of traffic. I know I don't go over there a lot. I forget it is there.

Kinda like how open class is kinda forgotten by DCI.... and fans.

Actually just went to Raiders site, looks like they had a donor come through and they will be on tour.

big question is..who is running these corps? granted to support a corps in todays world is un believeably hard. People think its so easy to do...even if a corps just stayed local or traveled the bare min. its still way more expensive than BITD...BUT even corps getting or asking for money on the road..isnt that just a band aid? How can you leave on any kind of tour on faith or if 4 grand of issues turned up and thats what ended the tour, well thats not much of a cushion to begin with. These corps had to leave knowing the slightest little thing could have sent the house of cards tumbling....It seems that the people incharge could have had all the heart in the world and I could be very sure of this BUT heart WILL NOT get a corps down the road. A corps needs a savy and even at times heartless business man or woman.

• Like 1

How can you leave on any kind of tour on faith or if 4 grand of issues turned up and thats what ended the tour, well thats not much of a cushion to begin with. These corps had to leave knowing the slightest little thing could have sent the house of cards tumbling....It seems that the people incharge could have had all the heart in the world and I could be very sure of this BUT heart WILL NOT get a corps down the road. A corps needs a savy and even at times heartless business man or woman.

I'm guessing far more corps that we realize are, year after year, cutting it to within a few thousand or few hundred dollars of ending their tour early. And then if one year, a few kids don't pay on time, and donor dollars you expected don't materialize, or transportation issues crop up, that's the difference between success and failure.

Maybe Forte would have pushed on and tried to tour had Teal not folded in such a spectacular fashion. Maybe Teal's failure led other corps to re-assess just how prepared they were for their own tour committments?

I'm guessing far more corps that we realize are, year after year, cutting it to within a few thousand or few hundred dollars of ending their tour early. And then if one year, a few kids don't pay on time, and donor dollars you expected don't materialize, or transportation issues crop up, that's the difference between success and failure.

Maybe Forte would have pushed on and tried to tour had Teal not folded in such a spectacular fashion. Maybe Teal's failure led other corps to re-assess just how prepared they were for their own tour committments?

that could be what you said about Teal and other corps to re-assess. I know how hard it is and how many corps do cut it close BUT these corps were barely doing much in the 1st place and for sure member dues Im sure once again may have played a part in it.

I just cant imagine that the writing wasnt on the wall before the season even started for some of these. AS I said Im sure theres alot of heart in these corps but this is a business as much as many dont like to admit it has to be now a days

Just saw this on dci.org

Updated July 25, 4:30 pm.

Forte

Forte announced this afternoon that the corps will withdraw from the last three weeks of the 2012 Drum Corps International Tour.

Originally with plans to sit out of the Edmond, Okla. show scheduled for July 25 and rejoin the Tour this coming weekend due to a transportation issue, the corps made the announcement later in the day that it will finish its 2012 summer season while the corps is situated in Denton, Texas, near its home base of operations.

"Due to many hurdles along our journey, we feel that it is in the best interest of safety and welfare of the current members to end our season," interim director Christopher Todd said in a note posted to the corps’ Facebook pages.

Todd says he hopes that Forte will make a comeback to the DCI Tour in future years

This is just another glaring example of the current DCI touring model as we know it...EPIC FAIL!

• Like 1

This is just another glaring example of the current DCI touring model as we know it...EPIC FAIL!

how can you blame DCI for this ...according to their sched. they started their tour on July 19th..well todays the 26th..........doesnt seem like THEY were ready to do anything...this is less than a week.......not saying the DCI model cant change BUT how about responsibility of the corps and the issues this summer is on the corps decisions

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Actually just went to Raiders site, looks like they had a donor come through and they will be on tour.

Yes, and Tom is a businessman first (he's a successful small business owner). That corps wouldn't so much as move one foot if there was any chance at not being able to complete the tour safely.

• Like 1

Attended the Dallas show the other night. I was hurrying to the stands to try to catch Forte because I missed seeing them in San Antonio. As my wife and I are hurrying up the ramp, there is a small crowd gathered at the top. The show was scheduled to start at 7pm and usually there is a few minutes lag until they really start the show. But in this case, for whatever reason, the show started exactly at 7pm and they roped off the entrance. We had missed getting into the stands by 30 seconds? I was miffed because I couldn't even see the field from the crowd. I noticed all the other entrance ramps were filling up as well. There were a lot of people trying to get in to see Forte that were denied access.

So, instead of just standing there and hearing but not seeing the show, I decided to go back down the ramp and go toward the end zones to get a better view. I had this unusual sense of urgency to see this show and I wasn't going to be denied. I managed to go toward the south end zone where there was a gate open, and then another gate that lead to the field. From that vantage point, I was able to catch the rest of the show and took a few pictures. As I had posted the one picture I took of Teal Sound in Chambersburg, PA in their thread, I again post these Forte pics for their members and staff and fans of drum corps to enjoy. Sorry about your season ending and good luck in the future.

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

• Like 4