Best DCI Ballad Ever

Sort of like just deciding to call a microwave oven "a grill", because they both involve heat and food. :cool:

I wouldn't be the first to start it, but if 90% of the people I talked about microwaves to called them "grills" I guess I'd get over it. Just like calling a vacuum cleaner a "sweeper", or a soda "pop". :tongue:

• Like 1

best ballad ever?

BD 1989 (every night except finals night, that is)

worst ballad ever?

BD 1989 (no night except finals night)

• Like 2

I have to say Phantom 06. One of the most musical, moving things I've ever heard and seen on the field. The whole thing was designed perfectly and performed so well.

• Like 4

"Softly as I Leave You" Cavaliers. 1980, 81, or 82. Makes no difference.

Edited by musclebud
  • Like 1

Ice Castles, Madison

Danny Boy, 27th

Auld Lang Syne, Kilties

Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Cavies

Send In The Clowns, SCV

Greensleeves, Guardsmen

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 1

Crown 07 was awesome... Cavies 04 SCV 99 were also phenomenal

BALLADS

Garfield Cadets 1984 - ballad from West Side Story and that gorgeous mellophone solo. Perhaps the BEST EVER!

Garfield Cadets 1985 - Make Our Garden Grow, incredible and stunning musical build.

SCV 1984 & 85 - Gover's Corners, simply gorgeous!

The Cadets (Garfield) 1993 - the ballad from "In The Spring: At The Time When Kings Go Off To War" Long title, super show!

Phantom Regiment 2006 - "Ave Maria" by Franz Biebl. This might be the Winner of Winners! If you were not moved by this one, you simply do not have a heart beat.

The Cadets 1998 - Cantaberry Chorale...Awesome!

SCV 2003 - Adagio for Strings (? do I have the correct year for this one). Loved it!

Star of Indiana 1992 - Middle section of their show (forget the name of the song) when they open those cool murals. Excellent build and very majestic hit!

While other corps have all played some great ballads, there are just too many to really judge. And honestly, and this is just me, I just never cared for how Madison, Cavaliers, Blue Devils, and others have played ballad-like sections of their shows. I could go on and on with corps like SCV, Phantom, and Cadets when it comes to BALLADS. Crown occasionally hits the spot, but as of late they have not.

I will say this: The Bluecoats are really hitting the spot this year with their ballad.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

The Cadets 1998 - Cantaberry Chorale...Awesome!

SCV 2003 - Adagio for Strings (? do I have the correct year for this one). Loved it!

Canterbury Chorale was an amazing tune, and such a great show. Some of the best marching I've ever seen on a field.

SCV did Adagio in 2000, as part of their Age of Reverence show. :thumbup: my favorite show of all time.

• Like 1

There was this one show where it ended with some Roman guy getting run through with a spear.

• Like 2