Best DCI Ballad Ever

So, so many I can list here. I'll say Regiment's Elsa's Procession from 2011 tops the list, but it's a real toss up. A great ballad is always a highlight for me, and there have been so many. To me it's where the real heart & emotion come out in Drum Corps. That's where the majority of the "magical" moments are that take you away to another place & time.

95 Cadets - the ballad (name escapes me)

02 Regiment - Ballad (Name is escaping me)

07 Regiment - Name is escaping me...

10 Regiment - the last ballad/dramatic statement from Into The Light

12 Boston - the dramatic slow-building ballad in middle of show - highlight of the show! Evey Reborn I think?

Harvey

The 95 Cadets one is called "Born on the Fourth of July". It's a really pretty piece

02 Phantom was Shostakovich Piano Concerto No.2

07 Phantom was the Flower Duet

10 Phantom was called 1000 A.D from The New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms

12 Boston should be Lacrimosa (from For A Friend) by Preisner, Zbigniew. At least that's what Corpsreps says about it.

93 Cadets - "It Is Well with My Soul."

You mean On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss? That is a great one, I think they still do it for encore from time to time

Ironically, two ballads that I consider to be the best aren't "ballads" in the drum corps sense, in that they're not in the "ballad" section of the show, but rather openers. Those would be:

Regiment '91- Nessun Dorma

Regiment '96- Ballet Suite #4

Other mentions:

Regiment '93, '95, '00, '08

Star '92

Bluecoats '02, '08, '09

What is the best ballad/closer ever?

Somebody needed to start the topic to match the opener thread, so I figured...

LET IT BE ME worthy.gif

These best of all time topics are really tough.....have to remember we are drawing on 40 years of performances.....

But...I will play along...and say the best overall ballad dci corps is Phantom Regiment. Shoot...they even had cd's out called Phantom ballads....

The 95 Cadets one is called "Born on the Fourth of July". It's a really pretty piece

02 Phantom was Shostakovich Piano Concerto No.2

07 Phantom was the Flower Duet

10 Phantom was called 1000 A.D from The New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms

12 Boston should be Lacrimosa (from For A Friend) by Preisner, Zbigniew. At least that's what Corpsreps says about it.

Thanks!

Sort of like just deciding to call a microwave oven "a grill", because they both involve heat and food. :cool:

Yeah cause we all call microwaves grilles. C'mon it is insignificant semantics. We know what is meant calling a slow quiet piece in a show, a ballad. Sheesh are we getting so picky and so corrective we have to point out things like that?

FYI, Boston's ballad was changed after that original publication in the winter. It is a two part piece combining “Symphony No. 10” of Dmitri Shostakovich and “Evey Reborn” by Dario Mariancelli.

PR '93 hands-down best. Fire of Eternal Glory was amazing!

Honorable mention from the same year, Cadets with On a Hymnsong of Phillip Bliss, which they have added to the encore repotoire.

Crown's Nimrod would also get an honorable mention.