Perfectly Clean Wins?

In Drum Corps the word "clean" is the 11th commandment...well OK maybe it's the first. With that said you can play "Mary had a little lamb" as clean as a newborns backside in the maternity ward, but you won't score any points with it.

Question. I'm a little confused about precicesly what the word "clean" means in this context. What part of the captions does that apply to? Are we looking at the Visual and Music categories under the 'Excl', 'Ach', 'Tech', etc numbers? Or is it something else? Is it how straight the lines are and the precision of the curves in forms? Diagonals? Feet timing? All of the above? Just curious if the opinions here match how judges score, which is not often the case. :tongue:

Question. I'm a little confused about precicesly what the word "clean" means in this context. What part of the captions does that apply to? Are we looking at the Visual and Music categories under the 'Excl', 'Ach', 'Tech', etc numbers? Or is it something else? Is it how straight the lines are and the precision of the curves in forms? Diagonals? Feet timing? All of the above? Just curious if the opinions here match how judges score, which is not often the case. :tongue:

I can't answer this myself, but I will say that there are three judges who are down on the field: Brass, Percussion, and Visual Proficiency. They are not judging big-picture elements like how well the brass blends or how straight lines are. They are more focused on individual performance or synchronicity within small groups that they can watch all at once from field level. I think we tend to forget that around here sometimes (I'm including myself in that critique).

one thing to remember is that the cleaner the show is performed the easier it is to read what was designed so your design numbers will go up because the program becomes clearer due to the clean performance of the program. This is why BD's shows always come off so well, because they are being performed clean enough to be able to read everything in the design. A well designed show that is dirty doesn't read as well because it is harder to understand the design due to the non cleanliness of the performance.

Just don't watch BK's feet this year and their program is suddenly much better. :cool:

• Like 1

A really easy way to look at this is who has the hardest show and best GE. Because those are the things the kids cannot control, and at 100% we are really just talking about robots marching out there.

BD at 100% VS. Everyone else at 100%

Corps-------GE--------Content----------Winner

Crown------BD--------Crown------------Crown

Phantom---BD---------BD-----------------BD

Cadets------BD------Cadets--------------BD

SCV---------BD---------BD-----------------BD

Bluecoats--Coats----BD------------------BD

Scouts-----Scouts----BD-----------------BD

Cavaliers---BD--------BD-----------------BD

BAC---------BAC--------BD-----------------BD

Spirit--------Spirit-------BD-----------------BD

BK------------BD---------BD-----------------BD

Stars---------BD--------Stars-------------Stars (Yeah, seriously)

Xmen------Xmen-------BD-----------------BD

Go ahead and disagree with all of this if you want. Its clearly in my opinion, and its just how I choose to desipher the OP's question. And I should probably clarify my Blue Stars opinion as most of you will probably just think im being a homer. BD has better GE going on, but IMO its not much better than BS package. I mean the stars are doing a show about the ocean, what else do you need them to do GE wise to make you understand that? I do however think that the Stars have an extremely tough drill package and would venture to say 2nd highest in demand. But BD's music book's are harder. Idk, either would win by like .01!

Ok... I see you like Stars... tongue.gif

Sorry if that was too well thought out for DCP.

dada

Each year there are only a couple of corps that clear the bar in terms of both performance and design to really contend for a championship. Among that group, design usually decides who wins the title. It's very rare that the judges will go for a less-well-designed but cleaner show. It's easy to find examples where a dirtier show with superior design/effect won (2011, 2008, 2004, ...) but I'm having a hard time thinking of a year when it went the other way.

• Like 1