A Plea for sanity in this forum

I think we use the term "kids" because for the vast majority of the posters here, the marching members are younger than us. And for some (myself included), the discussions concern specifically what their children are doing, while working their butts off in extreme conditions, and paying high prices to boot. Maybe we should replace "they're just kids" with "they're just MMs". Would that make more sense? The MMs have no say in the program and design choices. Their task is to perform the show to the best of their ability according to the wishes of the staff. IMHO, the majority of the complaints are based on design and music choices. If you don't like a program, it's not the MMs fault, and I don't think anyone here has ever given that impression, btw.

So, yes, you are correct. Most of the participants on the field are not "kids", they are young adults. But it can get heated when the topic of discussion revolves around a group your son, daughter, brother, sister, grandchild, etc. is participating in, and attacks can feel personal. I think most of us understand that none of the vitriol is aimed at the MMs, but when someone you care about deeply has bought in to the program the extent these marchers must in order to survive, replies to comments can get testy.

It also doesn't help that in order to get the most out of the DC experience, you need to treat it like a cult (the word I use to describe the activity to outsiders). As a member, staff, volunteer, parent, you are asked to do things that normal human beings would never do, to do them almost without question, and get them done quickly and perfectly, regardless of extrenal conditions. Wind? Rain? So what. Heat? Big deal. Food truck fridge on the fritz? Still gotta serve 250 people 4 times a day. Sleep? Get all you need when you're dead. It's what makes this activity great, but also why it makes us so passionate about the smallest things. This might as well be a religion forum, and in a way, it is! :tongue:

I get what you're saying, but when was the last time you saw anyone on DCP bash the MM's of any corps? The MM's do the best with what they're given, and when they see criticism lobbed at their corps on DCP they're smart enough to know it's not leveled at them directly. Drum Corps MM's are the last people on earth we need to be concerned with being "soft".

I get what you're saying, but when was the last time you saw anyone on DCP bash the MM's of any corps? The MM's do the best with what they're given, and when they see criticism lobbed at their corps on DCP they're smart enough to know it's not leveled at them directly. Drum Corps MM's are the last people on earth we need to be concerned with being "soft".

Believe me MM dont take DCP seriously.........but i will say some MM dont seperate what some say about their corps and a few do take it personally.....thats why many are kept off...i know of 1 corp that has a DCP night on the bus and the kids pic a poster and act out the rant....lol..kinda funny....bus fun anyway

Completely agree. Doing DC makes them hard. :thumbup:

People bashing the shows or the activity in general bother me more that it bothers my kid (I mean daughter that is a MM). Just giving my perspective on maybe why people use that phrase as justification.

Edited by Shamu89

Because it would be a travesty not too....I'm really just holding out hope to stand in front of a Devils hornline playing "Freebird" on G bugles---is that too much to ask ######!!!

Plus it's a whole lotta fun "poking the bear" when it comes to folks who live and die by scores and who beat who.... ;-)

it's more fun poking people who make outrageous statements just to get a rise out of people

Bashing is such vague term tossed around. I see actual discussions and legitimate discussion often viewed as bashing. If we can agree on what bashing is then I'm sure we'd see less of it!

If everyone would just agree with me on everything we could stop all this arguing.

An outrageous statement like... oh wait....

:ph34r:

:tongue: