Judging: How do YOU want to see it?

It's interesting that we all clamor for better and more consistent judging, yet we freak out when scores and ordinals are all over the place. I think the idea of "consistency" has a different meaning for many people and causes too much confusion and frustration among fans today.

Personally, I miss the old days of 3 seasons (June-July-August), where corps like Spirit and Sky Ryders would beat Cadets early season by being much cleaner, yet get caught by the better show in august. We just don't see that as much anymore and whenever we see big changes in numbers or placements, (especially with our own biases towards certain groups), we complain to no end of cheating and "slotting".

I still think that some of the lower tier teams don't get enough credit early season for coming out on clean and think the judging should more wide open and not "uniform based" at the beginning of each season. Judges are human, but it takes a lot more "intestinal fortitude" to make calls like that in this generation than it did 20 years ago.

So, what say you and how would you like to see things judged differently?

Edited by trumpetcam

I honestly would like to see fan entertainment value considered. Not only for my personal enjoyment of the activity but to make it more appealing to the first time fan. If leave the stadium scratching my head and wondering what the hell I just saw, I'm less likely to come back a second time.

Keep It Simple, Sweetheart......

• Like 3

I would like to see General Effect weighted more heavily than the individual visual/music captions. I think often we see shows that are designed to feature certain instrument groups at the expense of overall general effect, because doing so allows a higher score in the individual performance captions. Drum corps is a group activity, and I would prefer to see a show that is designed to have the best overall effect it can have, rather than a show with some cool effects that features a bunch of disjointed runs that are intended to feature certain instrument groups in order to increase caption scores.

I don't know if that makes any sense. I think the corps that should win is the corps that puts on the best performance, as that performance is perceived by a judge sitting about half-way up the stands on the fifty yard line ... not the corps that sounds the best to a judge standing right in front of a group of players on the field that are there because the show was designed to show off those players to the judges.

Perhaps we should just take judges off the field completely. If something can't be clearly heard or seen from the stands, then maybe a corps shouldn't get credit for it.

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Like 1

There can never be a score related to fans. If that were to happen some people wouldnt even applaud for shows and would go ape #### for others (saw it live with people sitting behind me at a show). Some corps have a bigger fan base than others (Crown vs Pioneer). Geographical location would also change results on fans (home show corps get more love). You have people that will never like something a corps does and you have people that dont want certain groups to win. I think the judgin system is fine as long as some judges dont give a group a 18 one night and a 16.5 the next night and flip flop other corps (look at percussion scores this season).

• Like 6

I honestly would like to see fan entertainment value considered. Not only for my personal enjoyment of the activity but to make it more appealing to the first time fan. If leave the stadium scratching my head and wondering what the hell I just saw, I'm less likely to come back a second time.

Keep It Simple, Sweetheart......

There can never be a score related to fans. If that were to happen some people wouldnt even applaud for shows and would go ape #### for others (saw it live with people sitting behind me at a show). Some corps have a bigger fan base than others (Crown vs Pioneer). Geographical location would also change results on fans (home show corps get more love). You have people that will never like something a corps does and you have people that dont want certain groups to win. I think the judgin system is fine as long as some judges dont give a group a 18 one night and a 16.5 the next night and flip flop other corps (look at percussion scores this season).

I agree that "crowd reaction" can never be a part of the formula. It would be a disaster. BUT, maybe they could somehow add "accessability"...how easy it is for the "average fan" to "get it". This would likely lead to less complex shows that first time viewers could enjoy. Then again, I'm not sure "less complex" is a good thing either.

Variety is the key. I think things are fine when the shows are very different. I would hate to go to a show and see eight shows that all look and sound the same. Even if I don't like some of them, I want them to be unique.

It is clear that many do not like the direction the Blue Devils have taken recently, but it is all experimentation. I don't expect twenty copycats in the next few years. I DO expect several corps (including the Blue Devils) to take the best of the ideas and use them in future designs. Everything evolves. Everything moves forward or dies.

• Like 2

I would also like to see more weight go back to the music and less to the visual.

I would like to see drumlines play more than singles and buzz rolls.

• Like 1

I would also like to see more weight go back to the music and less to the visual.

I'll second that.

Perhaps we should just take judges off the field completely. If something can't be clearly heard or seen from the stands, then maybe a corps shouldn't get credit for it.

I have been thinking this for a long time. If the goal is to look and sound entertaining to the audience, then who cares what it looks and sounds like 5 feet away from wherever the field judge happens to be at a given moment.

• Like 1

I would like to see drumlines play more than singles and buzz rolls.

Please, please, please send your request directly to Paul Rennick; you can email him at SCV or the University of North Texas. I mean his writing is so very, very, very, very very, simple in terms of singles and buzz rolls.

Edited by Stu