Isn't there a major show tonight in Allentown?

The problem with Jersey Surf's placement is that they are so far ahead of the activity, the judging sheets don't know how to score them...

:lookaround:

• Like 2

I dunno. Reports were that their show was pretty rough tonight.

The hornline was practically running up the field to get on the field. That is not conducive to a good performance.

I agree Surf ought to be scoring better in GE, given how the current sheets appear to be written. Unfortunately, there are additional guidelines for the judges in documents we don't have access to, and unwritten guidelines that you'd have to be in the judging community for some time to understand. I'm curious what's said on the tapes the GE judges make for them. What could Surf be doing to improve its GE scores? Because, as has been pointed out, there are plenty of other captions for judging performance and cleanliness, and while those affect GE, they shouldn't define GE. Otherwise, why have a separate caption at all?

Edited by skywhopper

I agree Surf ought to be scoring better in GE, given how the current sheets appear to be written. Unfortunately, there are additional guidelines for the judges in documents we don't have access to, and unwritten guidelines that you'd have to be in the judging community for some time to understand. I'm curious what's said on the tapes the GE judges make for them. What could Surf be doing to improve its GE scores? Because, as has been pointed out, there are plenty of other captions for judging performance and cleanliness, and while those affect GE, they shouldn't define GE. Otherwise, why have a separate caption at all?

theres many things that can drive a GE score up or down....what happens before and after, was it successful, did it fit musically, was it achieved, yes effect can stand alone BUT has to be successful...not attempted...................Im not saying Surf isnt successful or any corps in particular and try not to comment on anyone specifically

Where do you think Jersey Surf should be placing this year? Should they win the DCI title?

Jersey Surf this year should not win the DCI Title. I havn't met anyone that expressed this viewpoint either. Most recognize the shortcomings of the Jersey Surf in technical proficiency. They have undeniable problems there it seems. That said, most also recognize that there are shortcomings in the DCI judging of the caption " Music General Effect ". There are undeniable problems there it seems as well.

Edited by BRASSO

Unfortunately, there are additional guidelines for the judges in documents we don't have access to, and unwritten guidelines that you'd have to be in the judging community for some time to understand.

Probably true. Jersey Surf Brass Arranger Larry Kerchner does not swim in the same waters as do the current DCI " Music General Effect " judges. Most of them come from the world of Education. Kerchner has spent over 40 years making a good living writing music compositions for the Commercial TV world. He knows how to get music to move audiences as well as anyone writing music for Drum Corps today. Most of the DCI judges that currently judge " Music General Effect " have never had to find out if THEIR music compositions could move a paying customer or potential paying customer. So Larry Kerchner and these DCI " Music General Effect " judges just swim in different waters, and this explains it, imo.

I recognize the total discconnect betwen the judges and the paying customer. I just leave after the local shows now, and before the scores and placements are announced. The judges and I have an understanding. I don't go into what is their domain. They don't go in my domain either. I reserve their right to score without my input. I reserve my right to leave and be in my car and on the highway and disregard their input re. their scores too. They don't bother with me. I don't bother with them. 'Seems to work. I don't pay money to go to a Drum Corps show to listen to a judge. So I don't. And they sure as heck have me ( and apparently lots of others ) invisible to them as well.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Probably true. Jersey Surf Brass Arranger Larry Kerchner does not swim in the same waters as do the current DCI " Music General Effect " judges. Most of them come from the world of Education. Kerchner has spent over 40 years making a good living writing music compositions for the Commercial TV world. He knows how to get music to move audiences as well as anyone writing music for Drum Corps today. Most of the DCI judges that currently judge " Music General Effect " have never had to find out if THEIR music compositions could move a paying customer or potential paying customer. So Larry Kerchner and these DCI " Music General Effect " judges just swim in different waters, and this explains it, imo.

I recognize the total discconnect betwen the judges and the paying customer. I just leave after the local shows now, and before the scores and placements are announced. he judges and I have an understanding. I don't go in their domain. They don't go in mine. I reserve their right to score without my input. I reserve my right to leave and be in my car and on the highway and disregard their input re. their scores too.

I hear what youre saying BUT is LArry and dennis even there much? When I talked to Larry a while back he said him and Dennis were just consulting a bit, but that was quite a while ago..I'll have to ask some friends if he was with Cabs alumni last night..he spends alot of time with them

That has to be true. If it weren't true, a corps could move up just by doing a bunch of cheap tricks (like upside down tenors ... love the Cavies, but that was nothing but a gimmick) poorly.

It's not a gimmick if its a show about gimmicks lol

Plus, you shouldnt get mad at people for trying new things. The goal for every corps is to please the audience and ultimately help with recruitment. Just because its not appealing to you or your age group doesn't mean it's not appealing to the 12 year old sitting next to you at a show. And in all honesty, i'd much rather appeal to the younger crowd. I don't know how old you are, but chances are your days are done in drum corps. You really don't have much to contribute to the activity anymore. But the younger kids do.Not all of them get off to really loud chords and technicality. To each their own

• Like 1

I hear what youre saying BUT is LArry and dennis even there much? When I talked to Larry a while back he said him and Dennis were just consulting a bit, but that was quite a while ago..I'll have to ask some friends if he was with Cabs alumni last night..he spends alot of time with them

Jersey Surf's show design for 2012 came from these two. Dennis was the show designer, Kerchner wrote the musical score. It is Kerchner's Musical score that the current DCI" Music General Efect " judges have a total disconnect with. We already know which side about 200,000 fans that will hear Jersey Surf play music this year fall down on regarding such fundamental disagreements re. a " Musics General Effect ".

Edited by BRASSO

Jersey Surf's show design for 2012 came from these two. Dennis was the show designer, Kerchner wrote the musical score. It is Kerchner's Musical score that the current DCI" Music General Efect " judges have a total disconnect with. We already know which side about 200,000 fans that will hear Jersey Surf play music this year fall down on.

wait till I talk to that xxx....lol..i my call him right now..lol....im not sure I believe the disconnect but thats cool