Live Streaming Finals

Here is my opinion (Please don't neg me for it)

Streaming finals would cut substantially into DCI's DVD sales as well as attendance numbers. And, I know this seems selfish BUT I feel that finals is a very...what is the word...sacred/historical event. If you want to experience it, either go or buy the DVD.

I think the Fan Network has cut into DVD sales far more then a live stream of Finals would. The only thing the FN doesn't eclipse is the Blue Ray, and that's only a matter of time.

• Like 1

Do you have a wife and kids? I know no matter what kind of planning I do, I can't afford everything I posted above for me, my wife, and our 3 kids and I'm sure not going to leave them behind just so I can get my fix.

And to tell anyone that the only way to view this "sacred" event is to see it live or on DVD, IMO, is very narrow-minded. I've been to finals 4 times in the 30 years I've known about finals. 3 when I was marching and the ONE time it was in CA. Would I like to go more often? Of course. I guess it just comes down to planning it out. Oh, and being able to afford it for a family of 5 living in Houston.

I understand where you are coming from but I do believe it would cut into DCI's biggest item, their Finals DVD, and Finals attedance as well.

Maybe DCI could show it live ONLY with no on-demand afterwards? It will probably happen soon.

Do you have a wife and kids? I know no matter what kind of planning I do, I can't afford everything I posted above for me, my wife, and our 3 kids and I'm sure not going to leave them behind just so I can get my fix.

This

For myself and my wife, tickets to Finals plus the airfare puts us over the $1,000 mark and that's BEFORE we've even decided where we're going to stay, car rental/cab to and from the airport and food. In the past, we have arrived on Wednesday and left on Sunday; that half-week ends up costing probably close to $2,000. This year, I am sadly having to miss Finals live for the first time since 1993 simply because we just cannot afford it. If DCI lowered the price for tickets for all three nights, and showed all three events either at the theaters in their entirety, or on FN in their entirety for an additional PPV fee, they would generate a significant amount more in revenue than from their current structure (IMHO, of cours). Drumcat has said elsewhere that the live stream of Finals is a topic that comes up every year at DCI, generates a lively dialogue, and is something that he feels will happen at some time in the future...guess for now, we'll have to go with that!

• Like 1

I understand where you are coming from but I do believe it would cut into DCI's biggest item, their Finals DVD, and Finals attedance as well.

Maybe DCI could show it live ONLY with no on-demand afterwards? It will probably happen soon.

You didn't answer my question.

Ticket prices are a bit high (bit = too). The best seats are not available to the general public (the exclusivity is unacceptable) and the travel costs are to cost prohibitive for some these days. I am luck, the wife lets me go 'cause we live 3+ hours from INdy. I cant imagine I could go every year if I still lived in Reno. The best option, and best quality would be to charge a fair amount and stream it at the movie theatre's via Fathom Events (just like Prelims). What would be a fair cost? $50-$75 and get Rondo & DeLucia Commentary maybe?

• Like 1

You didn't answer my question.

Which question?

Ohhh, the personal one that had nothing to do with the discussion or original OP's question? Nope, sure didn't and don't plan to on an internet forum.

But again, I understand where you are coming from. Hopefully, DCI will offer Finals on the FN in the future.

Which question?

Ohhh, the personal one that had nothing to do with the discussion or original OP's question? Nope, sure didn't and don't plan to on an internet forum.

But again, I understand where you are coming from. Hopefully, DCI will offer Finals on the FN in the future.

rolleyes.gif

It may not have anything to do with what Doug brought up, but it has everything to do with what YOU brought into this thread... the cost of attending finals.

Edited by skajerk

Here is my opinion (Please don't neg me for it)

Streaming finals would cut substantially into DCI's DVD sales as well as attendance numbers. And, I know this seems selfish BUT I feel that finals is a very...what is the word...sacred/historical event. If you want to experience it, either go or buy the DVD.

I am a high school band director and as we all know, teachers don't bring home very big paychecks. However, I save a small amount every paycheck so I can fly or drive to Indy (from Florida) every year at the end of the summer (during our band camps) to witness Finals. I know if I can do it, most anyone can. It just takes planning.

Anyway, just my opinion.

If it is so sacred, why was it broadcast on ESPN and PBS for so many years? And if it is going to cut into DVD sales, then why do they post the video of finals on the fan network after a little while? No one is going to pass on going to finals because they can watch it on the internet. That doesn't make any sense at all.

• Like 2

If it is so sacred, why was it broadcast on ESPN and PBS for so many years? And if it is going to cut into DVD sales, then why do they post the video of finals on the fan network after a little while? No one is going to pass on going to finals because they can watch it on the internet. That doesn't make any sense at all.

It's not broadcast on ESPN2 now, is it? Even when it was, it wasn't live.

The PBS stuff was live in the beginning, but became a delayed broadcast as well. There were record sales, but not DVD sales back then.

That's when drum corps was much more popular and populist than it is now. Today's DCI marketing strategy is more about elitism and cultism.

What would you be willing to pay for a ticket to the theaters for finals night?

What would you be willing to pay to stream it on your computer?