Open the roof

Drainage was originally designed into the floor, but cut due to budget constraints.

Also cut was the idea for the turf to be a new fiber optic system that could change colors via computer controls. Logos could come and go and lines could be displayed to show first downs and the like. In our case, corps logos could have been displayed anywhere on the field, or even other designs as instructed by corps designers. But the system was still a bit new and very expensive. Would have been pretty darned cool, though.

:blink: This would change visual rehearsal forever.

ya know having been in UD Arena, you're so right. Let's make indoor percussion winter parking lot percussion! Imagine the demand dodging that snow plow!

And the light poles.

• Like 6

Time to mix a little "glass half full" with a little "glass half empty" thinking . . . AND throw in some of my trademark® cynicism, sarcasm and humor . . .

I think you're all too concerned with the audio aspect of an open-roofed LOS. I think they keep it closed to guard our sense of smell. Have you ever actually been to Indiana? :rolleyes:

Actually, I wouldn't worry about FINALS being staged indoors forever. I think we can assume work is underway somewhere to move them to the next great stadium being planned as we sleep. It will make LOS look and feel like wooden bleachers. The roof will open on command and the field will be drained and air-conditioning will crank on in a matter of seconds and curtains will drop from the sky. Count on it. It will all cost in excess of a BILLION dollars and it is going to be ready in 5 or 6 years in one of Drum Corps' favorite cities ---Minneapolis; rhymes with Indianapolis, but much better.

Meanwhile, of greater importance is the question of how to grow the fan base. Is the "business" really booming because the costs certainly are? What can be done to insure that not only are more people introduced to our passion but that they become interested enough to come back and bring friends with them? The only way to do this is to foster an emotional connection like each of us already has. This is a much bigger challenge than figuring out how to open the roof.

If everyone is so hellbent on keeping it a COMPETITION, then I think we have to figure out how to get the audience in the stands AND those watching in theaters or at home on pay-per-view to play a role in voting for the winners via Smart phones, i-Pads® or similar devices and greatly reduce the part played by 6 to 10 live judges. This will force the activity to become more ENTERTAINING to a wider audience without losing most of the traditional values that many of us consider important. And any DVD and post-event revenue is considered pocket or chump change to be used to fuel the following season start-up.

But the good news, in the end, is that I see the day when supersop will be sitting under the stars on the 50-yard line at the Finals, cryin' like a baby. :thumbup:

you may be right ... I'm just reporting on what I was told for the cost of 2 hot dogs and 2 gatorades. Best $6 I ever spent at Allentown.

And the light poles.

Now why would someone downrate me for pointing out that there are light poles in parking lots? Do I have another stalker?

I've been getting single red marks again for the most innocuous of comments. I think someone is "after" me in order to make a point. Really...it's kind of sad. It's happened before and the mods are able to see who does that sort of thing.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

Now why would someone downrate me for pointing out that there are light poles in parking lots? Do I have another stalker?

I've been getting single red marks again for the most innocuous of comments. I think someone is "after" me in order to make a point. Really...it's kind of sad. It's happened before and the mods are able to see who does that sort of thing.

the point is they're an idiot.

plus my rating is green some big number, and it should be red

I was just thinking this as I came across your post. I tried to correct what I could but there's still another red mark left. That's really unwarranted . . .

As it relates to this thread, I think opening the roof would be great, but I'm guessing if DCI is keeping it closed, they're not doing it to just anger the DCP forums, they're doing it for thought out and sensible logistical reasons. Whether it's the drainage system, worrying about having to re-close the roof if some stray weather came in, or whatever . . . I do agree that something should be done about the sound. I had pretty terrible seats at Finals last year (third level, off-center) and even though it was great, as always, attending, the sound was awful. I truly didn't know what some corps were even playing until I listened to the audio files later, or looked it up in the programs. You basically could only hear echoes of chords and major drum hits. It was quite disappointing, however cool it was to see the forms on the field so clearly.

Edit - And now I'm being red marked, too. Someone clearly has quite the vendetta! If you have a problem with Michael Boo's posts or my posts, put it out there and convince us we're wrong! I'm fine with some constructive criticism if you actually write a post and start a healthy discussion. =)

Edited by Some Random Drummer
  • Like 3

I was just thinking this as I came across your post. I tried to correct what I could but there's still another red mark left. That's really unwarranted . . .

Edit - And now I'm being red marked, too. Someone clearly has quite the vendetta! If you have a problem with Michael Boo's posts or my posts, put it out there and convince us we're wrong! I'm fine with some constructive criticism if you actually write a post and start a healthy discussion. =)

Welcome to my world.