Open the roof

Interesting. The roof is open in Indy for the Colts game. And the field looks like absolute crap with all the funky shadows. That would have been terrible for afternoon corps at prelims and semis.

We're complaining about shadows now, really?

How many Finals venues have you been to in the past before Lucas Oil? Did you EVER attend any shows during the day (be honest), because if you did, I will tell you from first hand experience this is the same issue in a majority of places. It's called sunshine and a massive man-made structure. There isn't much you can do.

We're complaining about shadows now, really?

How many Finals venues have you been to in the past before Lucas Oil? Did you EVER attend any shows during the day (be honest), because if you did, I will tell you from first hand experience this is the same issue in a majority of places. It's called sunshine and a massive man-made structure. There isn't much you can do.

How many finals venues have I been to before Lucas Oil? More than you can count on all your fingers and toes (and then some), my friend. Not only have I attend day shows, I have performed in them and taught corps that performed in them. If we have the ability to level the playing field for all corps, by all means we do it.

That means leaving the roof closed (which would have minimal impact on the sound either way).

How many finals venues have I been to before Lucas Oil? More than you can count on all your fingers and toes (and then some), my friend.

With all of that "experience", I am amazed you still have a complaint about shadows.

How many finals venues have I been to before Lucas Oil? More than you can count on all your fingers and toes (and then some), my friend. Not only have I attend day shows, I have performed in them and taught corps that performed in them. If we have the ability to level the playing field for all corps, by all means we do it.

That means leaving the roof closed (which would have minimal impact on the sound either way).

If it would have minimal impact on the sound, why did DCI feel the need to tell people after the contract was signed that they would do everything possible to keep the roof open? At that point in time, there were already shows in domes, and DCI felt that they needed to say that for a reason.

I respectfully disagree. The side windows retract, the roof opens, sound exits the stadium vertically.

There would be infinitely less "goo" from the angles of metal roof shooting it back to the field. The Glassmen had an open-air rehearsal in the stadium a few years ago and all reports had it as a complete and total noticeable difference in acoustics.

Ask Kenny Chesney how it works, you don't even have to be a drum corps fan to understand basic principles of acoustical properties.

I respectfully disagree. The side windows retract, the roof opens, sound exits the stadium vertically.

There would be infinitely less "goo" from the angles of metal roof shooting it back to the field. The Glassmen had an open-air rehearsal in the stadium a few years ago and all reports had it as a complete and total noticeable difference in acoustics.

Ask Kenny Chesney how it works, you don't even have to be a drum corps fan to understand basic principles of acoustical properties.

I wasn't making stuff up. Lucas Oil was tested with Glassmen rehearsing with the roof in both positions. The change in sound was so minimal as to be nonexistent, and that's directly from people who were there, including Glassmen staff. Granted, there was no crowd in the stands at the time, but that was the only condition not accounted for.

I understand the "basic principles of acoustical properties". Probably better than most, as I have extensive training in the subject, and have applied it in many live performance groups and venues, corps included.

As for the shadows, I was making an observation based on what I saw, and applying that to what the DVDs might look like for corps playing this afternoon. Which is to say, crap.

You definitely are a trumpet player, am I right? I'm sorry, "soprano".

I trust your opinion man, but dude, being better than everyone on DCP and listing your accomplishments, experience, and expertise over and over is nauseating. It's worth about as much as me typing this pointless message.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree.

• Like 1

You definitely are a trumpet player, am I right? I'm sorry, "soprano".

I trust your opinion man, but dude, being better than everyone on DCP and listing your accomplishments, experience, and expertise over and over is nauseating. It's worth about as much as me typing this pointless message.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree.

My major instrument is tuba, and I played contra bass in DCI. I also have extensive training and experience as a sound engineer.

You asked.

How unfortunate the stadium planners didn't come up with a method for eliminating daytime shadows when the roof is open. :rolleyes:

My understanding is one other huge reason for the black curtain is that it takes up less data on the DVDs for the solid black background than having all the other colors for the backfield. WGI does the same thing for the finals at UD Arena.

Edited by wolfgang