DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

None of those bands I mentioned are real bands.....but thanks man. I made them all up.

Edit...I guess there is a Myrtle Beach HS marching band but I'm just using generalizations.

Fort Mill, Danville and Myrtle Beach High are High Schools and actually have real bands ;-)

Edited by Da_Expert_has_spoken
  • Like 1

There is almost zero chance of that happening. The logistical nightmare of doing what you propose, moving the schedule far forward for bands will automatically cause most, if not all, to dismiss the idea immediately. Not to mention that if you did do this, you'd field bands so full of holes they'd need a Swiss cheese factory sponsorship.

You're also discounting the fact that band directors need time off to decompress (for some, that's what drum corps is for), and you'd put a severe crimp on the staff of competitive bands. I know I'd never do that with my bands.

Lord knows that band directors need decompression. I just started camp last week and It's taken me nearly that long to get truly clicking on all cylinders again. There are roughly 390 high schools in our state (maybe more). I'm sure you could find 20 or so that would be willing to do a show or 2 in the summer and have that opportunity for their kids. Maybe not every year, but it's something that I wouldn't discount by saying....."well I wouldn't do, so why would anybody else". I mean I wouldn't want to do a winterguard or winter percussion line, but it's becoming almost necessary now, and it's something I may have to consider in the future.

Band directors are trendy people...we tend to follow the crowd.

Fort Mill, Danville and Myrtle Beach High are High Schools and actually have real bands ;-)

Well my attempt at generalizations failed miserably. At least there is no George Carlin High School that I know of. :tongue:

• Like 1

I'm thinking about butts in seats. What creates butts in seats more than having more performing groups?

So we go to North Carolina for instance....

Scholastic Class A:

George Carlin HS Marching Band

Myrtle Beach HS Marching Band

Danville VA HS Marching Band

Scholastic Open

Big Time Charlotte HS Marching Band

Big Time Fort Mill HS Marching Band

Big Time Triangle Area Marching Band

DCI Open Class

Newly formed Virginia based Open Class corps

Newly formed NC based open class corps

Newly formed SC based open class corps

Music City

DCI World Class

Carolina Crown

Spirit of Atlanta

Boston Crusaders of Florida

---------------------------------

Then we go to Georgia and the scholastic bands all change but the STANDS are packed!!

So the only thing you would have to do is ENTICE bands to have camp as soon as school gets out, put their fall shows together and compete at a handful of regional events in their area. World Class corps can stay closer to home without having to travel all over God's earth to have enough competing units to have a successful show. Independent corps receive appearance fees, and marching bands pay appearance fees.

What's in it for the bands? More adjudication opportunity before the fall.....more time to clean the show because you'll have to learn it early. A chance for kids to compete ON THE SAME FIELD as their DCI counterparts. Big show revenues for schools and DCI.

What does DCI do? Sanction the show, secure the judges. That's all...they are a the sanctioning body.

OK, I've had enough of this pie-in-the-sky dreaming and hallucinating.

Just create new corps out of whole cloth. Poof! There they are! You're not living in reality, my friend.

Oh, and what band director takes his first week of camp to get up to speed? What have you been doing all summer, watching ficticious drum corps shows?

I live in Real-ville. There's a house for sale next door. Maybe you should inquire...

OK, I've had enough of this pie-in-the-sky dreaming and hallucinating.

Just create new corps out of whole cloth. Poof! There they are! You're not living in reality, my friend.

Oh, and what band director takes his first week of camp to get up to speed? What have you been doing all summer, watching ficticious drum corps shows?

I live in Real-ville. There's a house for sale next door. Maybe you should inquire...

Really? Dude you can have an opinion without your dinobaggery. Really it just makes you lose all credibility.

• Like 1

no, LOL... but there should be...

Agreed....somebody is having fun with red minuses....i helped you out there.

While the economy is A factor, it's not THE main factor. The single largest contributor to the decline of drum corps is the fact that kids today have access to thousands of activities that they didn't have access to "back in the day".

Then why have some activities grown in the same time period? Take youth soccer, for example....or competitive marching band.

I'm sorry, but "more choices" isn't even a valid excuse, much less the primary one.

Then why have some activities grown in the same time period? Take youth soccer, for example....or competitive marching band.

I'm sorry, but "more choices" isn't even a valid excuse, much less the primary one.

Competitive marching bands have increased but band participation has decreased. Back in the 70's HS bands would have several hundred depending on the school. Now you're lucky to get 8% of the student population.

Maybe it's because of competition....it costs alot more to purchase new silks, new guard uniforms, pay drill writers, have custom arrangements, pay for travel, etc than it did back in the day when the director could write out the drill on a napkin, do 5 home football games, do a couple of parades and call it a day.

How expensive is soccer? I ask cause I don't know. My daughter is about to start dance.....I don't want to think of how much that will cost