DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

dp

Edited by DCImonkey

When it's the good stuff:

bombaysapphire175__23268_zoom.jpg

Well now that's a horse of a different color! You and G must be uppity drinkers! ...............I bet it's hard to tell the difference if you use that blue toilet cleaner in the toilet tank .....when you're throwing up! :tongue:

Edited by Plan9

DCI needs to go to a WGI model.

Most American HS bands are not BOA quality but nonetheless, many are competitive. If we make an AFFORDABLE standard circuit for these bands to compete on, (yes BOA I said AFFORDABLE), under the DCI umbrella, these bands will serve where many of your former Open Class corps served.

I'm thinking Scholastic Marching Band divisions, Independent Marching Band Division, Independent Drum Corps, hell even Scholastic Drum Corps..... More bands buying into the circuit creates: A) New fans B) Puts butts in the seats C) Brings school systems on board supporting a new competitive endeavor for their marching bands D) Provides show sponsors to make the Regional touring model a feasible possibility again.

As far as school boards not wanting to host corps. This may be true, but working in the school system I know 1 thing that is a fact. School Administrators work ALL SUMMER. They have the A/C on ALL SUMMER while they work. ....and the PRINCIPAL of a school makes 100% of the decisions related to his or her campus BY LAW. Not the school board. The Superintendent might have some say, but some elected ##### has NO say over the day to day dealings of the principal. (Yes, did I say I worked in public education)

You may know this for a fact at your school. Is it a fact that your school administration cools all areas of the school while they're working in the summer? Really? When no teachers are around and the building is generally empty? Wow.

Maybe if they stopped cooling areas that aren't used they'd save enough money to host a drum corps show!

You may be thinking about scholastic band divisions of drum corps, but that's a long leap from getting scholastic band divisions to include drum corps. There are lots of good ideas and good intentions, but very little actual practice and success with these good ideas.

Tell you what, because you work in public education, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience selling the idea to your school administrators. Are you going to start with a show first, or are you going to go right after the music program, turning it into a competitive band, and inserting it into this new BOA circuit? I'm curious, in this new BOA circuit, where and when will the G8 perform? And who's going to pay for this venue? The band program?

I'm sorry, but your idea falls flat on its face when presented with the reality of current scholastic music programs. Maybe you should expound a little more on how straight-forward and direct it will be to implement this plan of yours.

Why even mention BOA... BOA is an outdated model and obviously doesnt represent the best of the best... The USBands, formerly known as the USSBA, is a much higher quality circuit and representation...trust me George Hopkins, who is god in DCI's eyes and among music educators, has been pushing this idea of merging marching bands and drum corps for over 30 years.... Blue Devils organization right in step with him....( Blue Devils has kept pushing wood winds and stringed instruments to be allowed in DCI, but that's another story)...

Hoppy and Downey & Company have some very solid ideas on the subject

Edited by Da_Expert_has_spoken

Why even mention BOA... BOA is an outdated model and obviously doesnt represent the best of the best... The USBands, formerly known as the USSBA, is a much higher quality circuit and representation...

USBands, formerly USSBA is more along the "idea" that I've presented. It's cheaper and more accessible than BOA in my opinion.

Garfield, I presented an idea. You've presented a dinosaur RAAAAWWWRRR that is pessimistic at best and offer no solution of your own other than the sky is falling in the drumcorps world.

By all means, what do you suggest?

I mean I don't like all of George Hopkins ideas, but to his credit...at least he has the cajones to try something every once in a while. He doesn't stand around and complain about things and then do nothing

Why even mention BOA... BOA is an outdated model and obviously doesnt represent the best of the best... The USBands, formerly known as the USSBA, is a much higher quality circuit and representation...trust me George Hopkins, who is god in DCI's eyes and among music educators, has been pushing this idea of merging marching bands and drum corps for over 30 years.... Blue Devils organization right in step with him....( Blue Devils has kept pushing wood winds and stringed instruments to be allowed in DCI, but that's another story)...

Hoppy and Downey & Company have some very solid ideas on the subject

Um, no. Not so much. There are some very good bands in USBands/USSBA, but as a whole it's not any better or worse than any other regional circuit. BOA, on the other hand, isn't really a circuit, but an outlet for bands with the right resources to compete on a national level. No regional circuit is going to compete with the quality of bands that make Grand National Finals in BOA. And that's ok. While I like to check out BOA, the many regional associations are far more interesting (and realistic for most schools).

And before you jump in telling me I don't know what the heck I'm talking about, you should know I taught a USSBA National Champion.

Edited by Kamarag

Kamarag.... Do you think there is any model that could include both scholastic bands and drumcorps that could work "feasibly" in your opinion since you have experience doing both?

Um, no. Not so much. There are some very good bands in USBands/USSBA, but as a whole it's not any better or worse than any other regional circuit. BOA, on the other hand, isn't really a circuit, but an outlet for bands with the right resources to compete on a national level. No regional circuit is going to compete with the quality of bands that make Grand National Finals in BOA. And that's ok. While I like to check out BOA, the many regional associations are far more interesting (and realistic for most schools).

And before you jump in telling me I don't know what the heck I'm talking about, you should know I taught a USSBA National Champion.

woah, put the guns in the holster... have you really been told "you dont know what you're talking about" from that many people that necessitates you writing a disclaimer?

But who hasnt (at this stage) taught championship level corps and bands? That has nothing to do with it, its more about the strong organizational logistics that USBands provides... BOA just doesnt really cut muster anymore... Im not talking about the level of bands, but about the level of administration. And it might have to do with the DCI influence, because corps and corps directors are used to trying to turn #### into gold, making the best of nothing.... so they have to be organized and well planned.

oh... BTW, you dont know what you're talking about.... (joking, dont get your panties in a twist)

BTW, you played contra, didnt you? I think I might remember you....

Edited by Da_Expert_has_spoken

USBands, formerly USSBA is more along the "idea" that I've presented. It's cheaper and more accessible than BOA in my opinion.

Garfield, I presented an idea. You've presented a dinosaur RAAAAWWWRRR that is pessimistic at best and offer no solution of your own other than the sky is falling in the drumcorps world.

By all means, what do you suggest?

I mean I don't like all of George Hopkins ideas, but to his credit...at least he has the cajones to try something every once in a while. He doesn't stand around and complain about things and then do nothing

Yes, you presented idea. I've heard lots of those and I've seen little action. Because it's hard.

Want a solution that actually has a school system falling all over themselves to help? Check out the Dublin show. I RAAAAWWWRRR there, too.

:tongue: