DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

Changing the rules so that you can win by being more populist, even if other corps are better at marching & playing, would do nothing to make the activity more popular. When Bridgemen were at the height of their popularity in the late 70s/early 80s, they were also deadly good on the field, so clearly being 'popular' and being clean aren't mutually exclusive. But if the choice comes down to 'clean' and a little dry to some vs 'not nearly as clean but more populist", the ethos of the activity would still favor clean, I think.

So if I understand you correctly The Bridemen could be all things to all people except they might NOT win using the current judging/scoring system? Is that correct?

You said they were good, clean, popular, entertaining and competitive but implied that they just might NOT win. Again, I ask you; is that correct?

Who cares?

1) If you pooled the gate receipt$, the Bridgeman wouldn't care.

and

2) If you got rid of the judges, and let the audience in attendance vote with their Smartphones®, odds are they WOULD win.

Do we really need another one of (since your font is so big) these threads? We've heard it over and over this summer, and guess what, no one REALLY CARES after the first few.

ha ha ha... I guess this guy should know better in speaking for other people as in "no one really cares"... as this thread has over 160 replies in the matter of just a few hours... its seems they do care...including this same drummantx who's been all over this thread... LOL... that same type of foot in mouth is why Romney is way behind in polls

• Like 1

no one held a gun to your head and made you a) read the thread and b) reply.

just saying

Jeff did you read the thread are you are just going to make curt comments because you're cute?

I'm replying to someone diminishing my opinion because I'm young. I'm a 32 year old father of 2, not some HS kid.

Now back to your regularly scheduled dbaggery.

• Like 1

Jeff did you read the thread are you are just going to make curt comments because you're cute?

I'm replying to someone diminishing my opinion because I'm young. I'm a 32 year old father of 2, not some HS kid.

Now back to your regularly scheduled dbaggery.

I don't care how old someone is. You came in here dismissing the thread as worthless, so I called you out on it.

I also threw some good info back at you from one of your posts and you have ignored it.

oh and i don't schedule dbaggery. I just address it when I see it

Signed, a 43 year old father of an 8 week old

:bleah:

• Like 2

DCI needs to go to a WGI model.

Most American HS bands are not BOA quality but nonetheless, many are competitive. If we make an AFFORDABLE standard circuit for these bands to compete on, (yes BOA I said AFFORDABLE), under the DCI umbrella, these bands will serve where many of your former Open Class corps served.

I'm thinking Scholastic Marching Band divisions, Independent Marching Band Division, Independent Drum Corps, hell even Scholastic Drum Corps..... More bands buying into the circuit creates: A) New fans B) Puts butts in the seats C) Brings school systems on board supporting a new competitive endeavor for their marching bands D) Provides show sponsors to make the Regional touring model a feasible possibility again.

As far as school boards not wanting to host corps. This may be true, but working in the school system I know 1 thing that is a fact. School Administrators work ALL SUMMER. They have the A/C on ALL SUMMER while they work. ....and the PRINCIPAL of a school makes 100% of the decisions related to his or her campus BY LAW. Not the school board. The Superintendent might have some say, but some elected ##### has NO say over the day to day dealings of the principal. (Yes, did I say I worked in public education)

I don't care how old someone is. You came in here dismissing the thread as worthless, so I called you out on it.

I also threw some good info back at you from one of your posts and you have ignored it.

oh and i don't schedule dbaggery. I just address it when I see it

Signed, a 43 year old father of an 8 week old

:bleah:

God help you man! Congrats!

Hey, looking into my ball, Crown upsets BD on Saturday, and SCV wins within 5 years with their current staff.

My prediction . . .

RE: 2013 CHAMPIONSHIP

The term MOST POPULAR CORPS might be created as early as next season and this will be determined by a vote that is tallied following the performance at the end of the season. It will NOT be counted by scores of a dci set of judges. It will be calculated from a combination of online devices. The only question is whether dci will play a role in this voting or not.

If this same vote where held today, it is doubtful that BD would finish in the top 5 finishers.

In the long term, this will be good for BUSINESS. :thumbup:

Agreed. However, the "fan favorite" (voted on line) from previous years announced at finals night never meant much nor lessened the angst in the crowd when it didn't coinside with the judges. As I recall CC basically owned it.

Who cares?

I don't, personally, but there seems to be an awful lot of outrage from some people that corps who ARE winning aren't "as entertaining" as some others. Well, if it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter, right?

If all someone wants is to be entertained, they shouldn't care about the scoring system one way or another.

Edited by mobrien

If DCI truly wanted to go to a WGI model, how about eliminating all tour requirements for Open class corps? Open up the regionals to Open corps - they can attend any (or none) as their budget dictates. If they only want to do 1-2 then championships? No problem.

Mike

• Like 2

If DCI truly wanted to go to a WGI model, how about eliminating all tour requirements for Open class corps? Open up the regionals to Open corps - they can attend any (or none) as their budget dictates. If they only want to do 1-2 then championships? No problem.

Mike

THIS!

Let corps do what they can afford to do! ...and NOTHING MORE

...maybe DCI is afraid that if their judges don't see them enough, they won't be able to slot them properly....they might have to judge a performance based on its merits THAT PARTICULAR DAY