DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

But every new visitor who comes to a show for the first time and is WOWED by the experience but then walks out in a fog at the end --when Madison takes 7th and Crown takes 2nd and (here it comes) BD WINS! . . . does NOTHING to expand the customer base and win a new fan.

Funny thing is that I've never once taken a newbie friend or family member who wasn't able to pretty correctly predict who would place where at the end of their first show. Even virgins can see qualitative differences between a 9th place corps and a 1st or 2nd place corps.

Most people, it should be said, just aren't that into marching band, even if we insist that it isn't band. Changing the rules so that you can win by being more populist, even if other corps are better at marching & playing, would do nothing to make the activity more popular. When Bridgemen were at the height of their popularity in the late 70s/early 80s, they were also deadly good on the field, so clearly being 'popular' and being clean aren't mutually exclusive. But if the choice comes down to 'clean' and a little dry to some vs 'not nearly as clean but more populist", the ethos of the activity would still favor clean, I think.

In any case, if anyone wants to start more local corps, I'm sure DCI would welcome them. It's a lot of work, and you better be prepared to come up with $150k up front for gear and another $100-150k minimum per year to stay in business, but if someone's motivated to do it, they will. Otherwise, it's just Aesop's fable about belling the cat.

Edited by mobrien

Funny thing is that I've never once taken a newbie friend or family member who wasn't able to pretty correctly predict who would place where at the end of their first show. Even virgins can see qualitative differences between a 9th place corps and a 1st or 2nd place corps.

Most people, it should be said, just aren't that into marching band, even if we insist that it isn't band. Changing the rules so that you can win by being more populist, even if other corps are better at marching at playing, would do nothing to make the activity more popular. It's still just marching band.

When Bridgemen were at the height of their popularity in the late 70s/early 80s, they were also deadly good on the field, so clearly being 'popular' and being clean aren't mutually exclusive. But if the choice comes down to 'clean' and a little dry to some vs 'not nearly as clean but more populist", the ethos of the activity would still favor clean, I think.

In any case, if anyone wants to start more local corps, I'm sure DCI would welcome them. It's a lot of work, and you better be prepared to come up with $150k up front for gear and another $100-150k minimum per year to stay in business, but if someone's motivated to do it, they will. Otherwise, it's just Aesop's fable about belling the cat.

Every decade or so we seem to have a show designer that is able in that given year to put together a new and creative show, with demand and complexity, is clean, wins it all that year, AND is an audience favorite that year. Its sort of rare, but it demonstrates that it can be done... as it has been done before.

Edited by BRASSO

A new piece of trivia for me.... Also 1974 a reformed Sr corps came in last at DCA Prelims. Few years later they were runners up and won DCA years later.

Yeah.. you never can tell....

Here's the list. This supports Mr. Groove on a few levels.

1 - look at how many corps were at US Open just in Class A and All Girl!

2 - I said All - Girl!

3 - look how many marginal corps kicked marginal Bluecoats ###. We can't blithley write off so-called "Marginal" corps....

4 - only Bluecoats is still standing. This list represents several hundred heartbroken kids.

THURSDAY/FRIDAY AUGUST 8/9, 1974

MARION, OHIO

US OPEN

... CLASS 'A' & ALL-GIRL PRELIMS:

CAPITOLAIRES (G), WI 67.65

GLASSMEN, OH 65.90

MARQUIS, WI 65.40

BELVEDERES, PA 64.75

CHARIOTEERS, AL 64.55

CADETS OF GREECE, NY 62.25

GAUCHOS, NY 60.10

MARK TWAIN CADETS, NY 56.50

FIRE-ETTES (G), CT 56.00

WINDJAMMERS, WI 55.20

ST JOHN'S GIRLS, ON 55.00

FLORIDIANS, FL 53.00

CLEVELAND CABALLAROS, OH 52.95

FLYING DUTCHMEN, ON 51.35

FITCHBURG KINGSMEN, MA 51.30

TRI-TOWN CADETS, NY 50.65

LEGION VANGUARD,MA 50.60

LAKEVIEW SHORELINERS, NY 49.95

VENTURES (G), ON 48.45

ALPINE GIRLS (G), NY 48.10

NEE HI'S (G), IA 46.90

ROYAL KNIGHTS, WI 45.70

OPTIMIST KNIGHTS, ON 44.90

BLUEWATER BUCCANEERS, ON 44.05

BUCCANEERS, KY 41.00

BELLES OF ST MARY'S (G), WI 40.80

SHARPSBURG CADETS, PA 40.20

ROYAL COACHMEN, NY 37.50

CATHOLIC DAUGHTERS OF AMERICA, (G), PA 37.00

ST CLAIR SHORES VANGUARD, MI 36.95

CANTON POLICE BLUECOATS, OH 34.60

SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN, MA 34.45

84TH BUCKTAIL REGIMENT, PA 33.95

MIAMI VALLEY LANCERS, OH 30.00

SILVER SABRES, PA 27.75

SILVER KNIGHTS, FL 23.10

Edited by Grandpa

Stick to dry cleaning! :cool:

Just because you and some others don't agree with outcomes, doesn't change a thing, and most importantly, doesn't signify a trend. And suggesting the demise of DC (and a shrinking fan base) to bolster your argument is pure fiction and not supported by numbers at the gate. However, you did say it's your opinion...just don't expect it to end up in Wikipedia any time soon.

My prediction . . .

RE: 2013 CHAMPIONSHIP

The term MOST POPULAR CORPS might be created as early as next season and this will be determined by a vote that is tallied following the performance at the end of the season. It will NOT be counted by scores of a dci set of judges. It will be calculated from a combination of online devices. The only question is whether dci will play a role in this voting or not.

If this same vote where held today, it is doubtful that BD would finish in the top 5 finishers.

In the long term, this will be good for BUSINESS. :thumbup:

And (responding to Grandpa) just in the list you gave I can see enough corps from Finger Lakes (NY), western/central PA (even with Cambria Cadets missing this show) and Ontario to have 3 separate shows. And that's with each show having all local corps. With the costs of starting and running corps I can't see those areas able to afford full touring corps. And having seen the home of the Mark Twain Cadets few years ago and getting to know Western PA at college... yiiikes.... :shutup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

My prediction . . .

RE: 2013 CHAMPIONSHIP

The term MOST POPULAR CORPS might be created as early as next season and this will be determined by a vote that is tallied following the performance at the end of the season. It will be calculated from a combination of online devices.

Bob Barker will personally count the votes from the state of Florida to be certain of authenticity there as well.

Edited by BRASSO

I am so glad you have enlightened us by letting us know where these corps may or may not place.

since you're so good with predicting, can you let us know when Crown gets #1 and SCV gets another?

yeah seriously... I agree.. what a absurd boneheaded thing for this guy to say (the guy claiming "none of these corps would make it today")... corps like Star and Suncoast not placing... are you serious? Star basically single handedly drove the entire activity from 1990 to their bow out 1993 (tired of DCI's f***ing bullsh*T) not to mention that that 1993 Star Show has yet to be topped in the activity in both performance and legend. Suncoast was a powerhouse with a very stylish, contemporary percussion section... Al Murray's "Spider" streetbeat alone forever changed the streetbeat.

I wouldnt expect this guy to be on staff or be judging anytime soon with his poor perception skills

Edited by Da_Expert_has_spoken
  • Like 1

you're 100% correct.... it is band... there is no "corps" aspect of it anymore and hasnt been for a very long time; probably even before my time.

Well, I don't know if that's the case.

Drum corps is band, to be sure. But I do think drum corps sets itself aside as a much more specialized version of band, with the touring and lifestyle aspects. To be honest, I don't think in the grand scope of things that drum corps has changed nearly as much as marching band has.