DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

Just wondering what was in this post to draw 5 red negatives?

Let's see...

He's been on many staffs

Currently consulting with one

donates time and money

sad that more kids can't march

Yep - that's terrible. Hang him...

wow....

I've been trying to green plus him as much as possible.

I don't know about 30 years ago, but I know about 20 years ago and his comments have some merit.

• Like 2

I've been trying to green plus him as much as possible.

I don't know about 30 years ago, but I know about 20 years ago and his comments have some merit.

I agree... and that doesnt mean we are dissing the current state of affairs or the activity... it just means we are calling a spade a spade and acknowledging the facts... they dont simply cease to exist because we choose to hold our breath and look the other way.

• Like 1

DCI needs to go to a WGI model.

I personally believe that DCI has a little **too** much WGI model in it right now and it's driving some people a little batty... tongue.gifmusic.gif

• Like 1

God help you man! Congrats!

Hey, looking into my ball, Crown upsets BD on Saturday, and SCV wins within 5 years with their current staff.

I hope Crown upsets BD!

SCV better win in 3 at most!

• Like 1

I agree... and that doesnt mean we are dissing the current state of affairs or the activity... it just means we are calling a spade a spade and acknowledging the facts... they dont simply cease to exist because we choose to hold our breath and look the other way.

Local corps - regional shows. Lower costs. It's the only way we will grow the number of kids doing this again.

There's no mystery about this.

The bulk of disbandings began in the early 1970s when the activity was hijacked by two main disparate but allied-in-spirit types, the money/control-driven, and the artistes. They were brilliant at Machiavellian politicizing, and they were allowed by the defeatists in the Bottom 500 to allow this little bunch to make them buy incredibly-expensive equipment and pay living wages to instructors. The resultant budgets killed off corps after corps, which killed off the many nearby contests, which forced incredibly-long tours, which raised dues, which cost members. What you're seeing now is end-stage. Even the smaller units feel they must do world-class-type shows to fit into the game.

Today's lack of money stems from overpaid staff, overpriced equipment and diminishing participants. And still the drive continues to recruit trained talent with money to spend rather than to break in new rookies, the former bread-and-butter of the activity. What nobody seems to be able to grasp is that there's a very finite number of what the artistes still try to base the entire concept of the reinvented-away-from-rookies activity around: musically-experienced youth with money, time and interest.

I nominate Hup234 for king!

:worthy:

THIS!

Let corps do what they can afford to do! ...and NOTHING MORE

...maybe DCI is afraid that if their judges don't see them enough, they won't be able to slot them properly....they might have to judge a performance based on its merits THAT PARTICULAR DAY

Agreed!

You know, it amaze me how much movement happens at BOA ( or I should say HAS happened the years I've gone) during the different days of competition. That just doesn't happen at DCI. DCI is so "Strictly Ballroom"... The winner is known after the first few weeks of the season.

There's no mystery about this.

The bulk of disbandings began in the early 1970s when the activity was hijacked by two main disparate but allied-in-spirit types, the money/control-driven, and the artistes. They were brilliant at Machiavellian politicizing, and they were allowed by the defeatists in the Bottom 500 to allow this little bunch to make them buy incredibly-expensive equipment and pay living wages to instructors. The resultant budgets killed off corps after corps, which killed off the many nearby contests, which forced incredibly-long tours, which raised dues, which cost members. What you're seeing now is end-stage. Even the smaller units feel they must do world-class-type shows to fit into the game.

Today's lack of money stems from overpaid staff, overpriced equipment and diminishing participants. And still the drive continues to recruit trained talent with money to spend rather than to break in new rookies, the former bread-and-butter of the activity. What nobody seems to be able to grasp is that there's a very finite number of what the artistes still try to base the entire concept of the reinvented-away-from-rookies activity around: musically-experienced youth with money, time and interest.

Can you please give evidence of this statement? I've heard (hearsay) that some staff of struggling corps get paid poorly, if at all. We have heard horror stories of corps that lack food to feed their corps so I doubt those corps were lavishing funds upon the staff. Granted, some staff members make their living by running a corps so they should be given some sort of respectable salary.

I would agree with you that equipment is more expensive. Since pits have been grounded, we have seen them double, even triple in size. Corps numbers have increased, requiring more equipment. Sadly, corps feel the need to "keep up" with the top dogs so they max out their rosters and thus spend more money on equipment. Plus, electronics have factored in and those are not cheap.

Edited by hrnguy500

Local corps - regional shows. Lower costs. It's the only way we will grow the number of kids doing this again.

But why do we need to grow to the number of kids there were in the past? Don't we need to answer that question before making any drastic changes? If there isn't demand for more corps (and based on how difficult it is for some corps to keep their numbers up, it seems like demand for more spots is low), why would we change the entire model of DCI to try to create more corps?

I think the decrease in the size of DCI has as much to do with kids not feeling the desire to participate in drum corps (because they are satisfied with marching band) as anything else. Are there people clamoring to join a corps that don't have the opportunity to do it?