Are the Cavies a victim of slotting?

Cavaliers' staff deserves a lot of credit for dramatically improving/detailing their show over the course of the season. What they presented last night is nothing like what I saw in June and I liked it a lot. I feel like they and the Blue Devils are both out on the ledge of the next generation of drum corps, where it evolves into more an engaging multimedia experience, as opposed to one kept within the traditional parameters of a marching and music demonstration. Attempting a re-imagining like that is going to result in some bumps along they way, and they've learned that a lot this season.

The complexity of the ideas/electronics/texturing in their show is a huge contrast to the very conventional Roman idea that Boston presents, and trying to refine the focus and message took longer than they probably anticipated once they got into it. I'm sure they've learned from the experience and will start their plan earlier in the future.

The centering of the main idea on the Warhol theme has really made it communicate much more effectively, with the support of the revised/simplified guard costuming and silks, and the dance bit at the end is just fun, very distinctive to them and totally within their established style.

By the end of the performance, my friends and I all agreed that what they are attempting is something that has a good shot at reaching out to a broader audience. Once they get a handle on how make the correct choices early enough to allow the execution to really lock into place, they will be a force to be reckoned with at the top of the heap again. I doubt it will take too long.

Great to see the fresh thinking!

• Like 3

I don’t think they are being slotted, they are earning their placement – nothing to be ashamed of but I understand the disappointment

2009 Regiments came out of prelims in 7th and considering performance, not show design, I think that is where they should have remained as opposed to 9th. It felt like they were being punished in a close race for underachieving to their standards. And if they were, I’d agree and therefore, didn’t mind. Boston and Blue Stars turned in good years, made themselves proud so when it’s that close, I’d give them the bump and Regiment the boot too

Wonder if that will happen to Cavies this year?

quick question

The Bowie 'Fame' quote, are they gonna get nailed on that? Kind of shocked they used Bowie again after not getting the rights last year…is it short enough they dont need the rights?

Edited by cowtown

Boston should be beating them!

Yes, Madison Scouts too, imo. To the Cavies credit, their precussion line is good this year.

Oh, and no, they are not "victims" of slotting.

The notion that The Cavaliers might be " victims " here re. slotting goes clear right over my head. I don't see this at all. If anything they appear to be the beneficiary of some " give them the benefit of the doubt as afterall they are The Cavaliers here " in their scoring and placement. If Boston and Madison did the Cavs designed show this year, and the Cavs did Boston's or Madison's, both Boston and Madison would be 2 points or so ahead of this Cavs production. That said, it is what it is, no complaints, and thats that. Judges need to do what judges do. And thats cool and all too.

Edited by BRASSO

Cavaliers are not a victim of slotting; Cavaliers are a victim of 2012 being an AMAZING year for drum corps.

• Like 1

Cavaliers are not a victim of slotting; Cavaliers are a victim of 2012 being an AMAZING year for drum corps.

This statement is accurate. The Cavies are suffering from staff change, and I think I read somewhere they had a lot of rookies this year. I'd credit the whole year, placement wise, to the talent of the membership, and the staff being able to work their way up, and constantly improve. They started with raw ability, and a product that weren't top 6, and today we can honestly say... they'd be placing top 6 if they'd started the season like this.

I can't help but wonder if the Cavies would be placing in the Top 4 right now if they had started the season with most of their show done like they did last year. I am obviously not an expert, but I watched the show tonight it didn't look that much different than other Cavies' shows from the last 3 or 4 years. Is the Cavies performance level really that much different than it has been the last few years? I admit there were a couple muddy spots in the music, put I could also point to dirty parts in almost every other show as well.

With that said, I don't know who I would put the Cavies above this year. The Top 6 are all phenomenal this year. I just think the Cavies have ended the season belonging in the same conversation with the Top 6, and I suspect that if they had started the season higher they would probably have been placing somewhere around 3rd or 4th this year.

Am I completely off base? Are they making mistakes that I am not seeing? I am actually liking the show design much more than I did even a few weeks ago. I am a little surprised that they are so close to Boston in score. I love Boston (in fact, I like Boston's show better than the Cavies'), but they look a lot more sloppy than the Cavies to me.

I usually like what the Cavies put on the field but not this year. They are not a victim at all - in fact they are being given a gift to be placing as high as they are.

• Like 2

I can't help but wonder if the Cavies would be placing in the Top 4 right now if they had started the season with most of their show done like they did last year. I am obviously not an expert, but I watched the show tonight it didn't look that much different than other Cavies' shows from the last 3 or 4 years. Is the Cavies performance level really that much different than it has been the last few years? I admit there were a couple muddy spots in the music, put I could also point to dirty parts in almost every other show as well.

With that said, I don't know who I would put the Cavies above this year. The Top 6 are all phenomenal this year. I just think the Cavies have ended the season belonging in the same conversation with the Top 6, and I suspect that if they had started the season higher they would probably have been placing somewhere around 3rd or 4th this year.

Am I completely off base? Are they making mistakes that I am not seeing? I am actually liking the show design much more than I did even a few weeks ago. I am a little surprised that they are so close to Boston in score. I love Boston (in fact, I like Boston's show better than the Cavies'), but they look a lot more sloppy than the Cavies to me.

You're joking, right? I'm surprised they are placing as high as they are.