Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip Factory

Crown won visual performance????????

They looked great to me tonight. The drill was sharp and their body movement/dance is unmatched, they do unison work throughout the show, and in general they are attempting (and achieving) the most difficult visual program this year. I totally agree with that ranking. :thumbup:

• Like 1

George Bonfiglio- 27

Gail Royer- SCV

Don Porter -AK

Jim Jones- Troopers

Im guessing here but wasnt Blessed Sac A founding member though they didnt travel to the first DCI???? Any help here?

Jay, I'm 99 percent sure you're right... Blessed Sacrament was the 13th original member.

HAHAHAHAHA love those rings lol

Actually, I DO like the hula hoops.

They looked great to me tonight. The drill was sharp and their body movement/dance is unmatched, they do unison work throughout the show, and in general they are attempting (and achieving) the most difficult visual program this year. I totally agree with that ranking. :thumbup:

I didn't see the show tonight, but i saw the broadcast last nightt, and unless they did some pretty serious cleaning in 24 hours, their achievement of their program is nowhere near the level of that of BD, or even several other corps. That overwritten visual program has been their Achilles heel all season.

• Like 1

Is the soloist an age out? That felt a bit emotional today. That said ... I don't give 2 squats about split notes or playing loose when it's emotional. Well done young man!

Jon is not an age out - I believe he has at least 3 years left...

I didn't see the show tonight, but i saw the broadcast last nightt, and unless they did some pretty serious cleaning in 24 hours, their achievement of their program is nowhere near the level of that of BD, or even several other corps. That overwritten visual program has been their Achilles heel all season.

The thing a lot of folks forget to factor in is that the visual proficiency judge is on the field, and the sample size and sample areas change from corps to corps and night to night. It's entirely possible that the judge tonight saw stuff we didn't by both corps. And that could easily change tomorrow, like it changed from last night.

• Like 1

BD had some issues tonight in that area.

G

BD had some issues tonight in that area.

G

Well then that would likely explain it. I just find it hard to believe considering that is easily something BD has done better than everyone all year. Watching them move is like watching ballet. Its crazy how smooth it all is. Nobody else (in my opinion) has their visual presence and control.

• Like 1

I think your missing the basis of a subjectively judged activity. Its all about the rating and ranking, thats it. I don't think any Olympic gymnast cares what their final score is or how it got there, only if its good enough for gold, silver or bronze. I get that we all live and die by numbers, but there really is only 1 champion and a bunch of great groups behind them with a lower score.

Truth be told, we could give order of placement and not even announce scores except for the champion, but I think even more people would flip out if we took that approach.

Rank and Rate is a most crucial element to consistency and evenness in judging and as soon as you take that out of the mix, any type of subjectively judged athletic event goes with it. Its all about getting the right teams in the right order. Period.

Or, we could just go 98.8 to 99.9 from 12th to 1st and leave it at that when scores are announced. :tongue:

I doubt it would ever be crammed that far ... but seriously .. the criteria is on the back of the sheet for a reason. It's pretty much ignored as it stands.

I'm sure there would be enough variation in the sub captions to bear out a champion and still have an accurate assessment about the performance of the corps. I just made a comment earlier about SCV's brass being 9th, 5th and 7th overall .. then I thought about it ...... maybe that's right. Maybe the numbers they were given were RIGHT. If every judge did that ... it would make things more accurate and more interesting for all of us .. but I don't think it would jack up their score to a 99. WE're asking 10 judges to make a call with rank and rate. more often than not .. most of them agree on the rank and rate ... end result .. same results night after night. In truth .. we can see and hear where each corps has strengths and weaknesses. Rarely is that reflected in the recaps. The tendency for a judge to give a 3rd place corps a 9th in ensemble is unheard of ... even if they deserved it. Flipside ... There are brass sections in the lower 12 that are top 5 worthy ... same for color guards .. are they getting the rewards they deserve in that caption? No.