Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip Factory

i'm not buying the 3/4 gap. music ge judge 2 kept cadets the same and hopped PR up a point. 7th place when they were 3rd last night??? well there is +0.5. and you're going to put cadets percussion 222 last night and then 545 tonight?

not saying PR should be 4th, just not buying that gap right now.

Well, it certainly looks like the judges tonight just didn't read the recaps from last night quite close enough! :tongue:

Different folks, different strokes. That is life with so many fantastic groups. 1st to 7th is sometimes a very small change in quality at this level.

i'm not buying the 3/4 gap. music ge judge 2 kept cadets the same and hopped PR up a point. 7th place when they were 3rd last night??? well there is +0.5. and you're going to put cadets percussion 222 last night and then 545 tonight?

not saying PR should be 4th, just not buying that gap right now.

Not only that, that 2nd GE music GE judge had Cadets BEHIND Cavies. Someone must hate Christmas music.

Hoppy will be twisting that person's ear, though.

It should.

My biggest gripe has always been rank and rate ... but rank and rate at this point is pointless. Give the corps the number they earn according to the sheet criteria. So what if there's a tie. If anything .. all the top 12 corps would be scoring closer together and the recaps would look an ugly mess .. which I would love to see for once. It would be realistic.

I'd much rather have the judges forced into ranking the corps. They are there to decide the most successful corps according to the sheets. If the sheets don't allow enough room to comfortably rank all the corps achieving within a certain level that is another discussion, but by all means force the judges to make a decision.

Edited by Sideways

There are no more ties for championships. I believe the GE is the first tiebreaker. Can't tell you anything else.

Could have a tie lower down, but since the 3 ties in 5 years in the late 90s, it was no longer expedient to allow corps to tie for championships.

Don't ever say DCI doesn't listen to the fans.

I never minded ties, though.

I thought this rule was repealed a few years back, but I could be wrong.

Nice job BAC 6th in brass :smile:

• Like 1

Crown won in visual proficiency? Say what? They were 4th in that caption last night.

This recap was all over the board in comparison to last night. :blink:

Edited by TimbreDeBrass

It should.

My biggest gripe has always been rank and rate ... but rank and rate at this point is pointless. Give the corps the number they earn according to the sheet criteria. So what if there's a tie. If anything .. all the top 12 corps would be scoring closer together and the recaps would look an ugly mess .. which I would love to see for once. It would be realistic.

I think your missing the basis of a subjectively judged activity. Its all about the rating and ranking, thats it. I don't think any Olympic gymnast cares what their final score is or how it got there, only if its good enough for gold, silver or bronze. I get that we all live and die by numbers, but there really is only 1 champion and a bunch of great groups behind them with a lower score.

Truth be told, we could give order of placement and not even announce scores except for the champion, but I think even more people would flip out if we took that approach.

Rank and Rate is a most crucial element to consistency and evenness in judging and as soon as you take that out of the mix, any type of subjectively judged athletic event goes with it. Its all about getting the right teams in the right order. Period.

Or, we could just go 98.8 to 99.9 from 12th to 1st and leave it at that when scores are announced. :tongue:

Edited by trumpetcam

It should.

Totally agree with you there---they should have a deduction system like they do in gymnastics but I don't know how hard it would be to see all the errors from a large group of people at once as opposed to an individual performing.

Edit: didn't see the guy above me refer to gymnasts as well LOL---just thought that was funny!

Edited by NeutralNovice