2012 Drum Corps International World Class Championships

XV

Congratulations, Blue Devils!

And congrats are due all around, what a great year for drum corps!

+++

Some other awards DCI didn't have time to announce:

All by Myself Award - Blue Coats, 2 points in front of Boston, 2 points behind Santa Clara

Come from Behind Award: Boston, for catching and passing Cavaliers who themselves made a great late season run.

Underachievers Award: Crossmen, who after passing Blue Stars to make finals, nearly caught and passed Spirit of Atlanta!

haha... yes.

BD has the gold medal, and Crown has an overwhelming crowd response. They've both got something to be happy about. Just look at them on the field. We should all take a leaf from their book (now there's an old expression) and be as classy about it as they are.

Plus, this is the closest Crown has ever come to winning. Their year will come.

• Like 3

Plus, this is the closest Crown has ever come to winning. Their year will come.

Not so sure it will. They have been 2nd before.

We haven't had a new champ since 1996...and even that was a tie. I don't think we'll ever have a new one again, to be honest.

WELL IT WAS A GREAT YEAR. cONGRATS TO bLUE dEVILS. eXPERTISE IN PERFOMRNACE IS WHERE YOU EXCEL. cONGRATS TPO ALL CORPS THIS YEAR ESPECIALLY TO cROSSMEN FOR MAKING THE SHOW. aND TO bac OF COURSE. yOU KEPT AT IT AND WERE THE ONLY COPRS TO MOVE UP TONIGHT. tHE BOOKS ARE CLOSED, TIME TO MOVE ON. pREDICTIONS FOR NEXT YEAR?? WHY WAIT? gOODNIGHT TO ALL dcp'ERS. DADADATS ALL FOLKS. Sorry for the caps. I am tired and it is late.

• Like 1

No one is blaming the kids, Me (and most other people) just think that the Scores are a bit ridiculous,

No, why do you have to go and ruin a perfectly good debate with such a goofy, hyperbolic statement?! A simple "I think the scores are ridiculous" is perfectly fine, but once you tag YOUR personal opinion to those of the majority of drum corps fans with zero data to back up is just asinine.

But, FWIW let me play that game, too:

I (and most everyone on the planet AND the Mars rover Curiosity) all believe that Blue Devils scored a bit low, and should've scored higher in GE Music and Vis Proficiency.

See, opinions are perfectly fine; labeling your opinion as the majority opinion is hyperbolic and kills and credibility to your argument (at least for myself and most other people :tongue: )

• Like 3

Unfortunately, copying doesn't mean other corps would get the same credit from the judges.

With BD's show, I felt like I was watching a WGI show with a horn line and drum line playing. Just not my cup of tea.

Seemed to work for Blue Knights this year. From what others have said on here, it's somewhat similar in visual design and it ended up doing really well for them, so I think we're going to see more staging and less emphasis on form to form drill.

People bring their own negativity and project it onto the Blue Devils or whoever they happen to hate that year. Last year I saw a BD production full of engaging pop charts from the 70s 'elevator music.'

There's no winning with these people. That's why BD has largely tuned them out. Success breeds envy, jealousy, and spite. Period. The end.

last year nobody complained about the music BD was playing...what people object to is BD changing the entire paradigm of the activity they love. There was not this much discontent in to 00's with the Cavaliers because they were pushing established boundaries, not creating new ones.

BD is like Schoenberg. very cerebral, but very polarizing

To be fair, they would need Gaines AND a kick butt Vis Caption Head as well to clean. Looking at the recaps, it's easy to write-off the 2nd place because of percussion, but look at these spreads in the Vis captions:

GE Vis: -.45 (luckily, though, they at least won GE Music, so the detriment of Vis in GE was only .35)

Vis Analysis: -.7

Color Guard: -.5

-----

Overall Visual: -.5

Having a 6th place percussion certainly didn't help (yet they also won Music Analysis, so percussion didn't completely kill them in Music: HOWEVER, their percussion score put them -.25 in overall Music).

But having those wide spreads in the vis captions across the board was, IMO, their biggest downfall. If Crown's Music Analysis was comparably lower (say, 3rd instead of 1st) because of percussion, you'd be on to something. But their Visual deficiency was their largest, and their visual issues hurt them considerably.

That all being said, when you look at the recap Crown 2012 is a corps with an incredible brass section and good but not great Visual program and sub-standard percussion. It's easy to watch their show and get caught up into the excitement of their sound and the great show. But looking at a score breakdown I think one could argue that Carolina Crown is currently a "one trick pony:" consistent Championship caliber brass but sub-Championship visual and percussion programs. You can't win a Championship on brass line alone, and until they address the deficiencies in all other captions, they won't come any closer than 2nd.

Of course, they clearly had the crowd on their side, and 2nd is an awesome accomplishment. They were clearly far above everyone but Blue Devils this season, and if their goal is to place Top 3 consistently I think they're in a great spot. If their goal is to win DCI, though, they have quite a bit of work to do.

I don't know what the answer is, and I think their percussion and visual are better than previous seasons. Maybe they're in the right place, and their vis designers just need tweak their design and figure out the formula between great, complex and effective drill design that is also achievable and able to be perfected by the members.

Regardless, this was a(nother) great DCI season. Bones was back in Finals, there were several crowd-pleasing shows, and once again the corps with the least amount of flaws wins: a Champion with no less than FOUR judges scoring them perfect!

They'll be fine.

They'll work on their weaknesses.

I'm not worried! Congrats Crown! And BD, and the other stellar corps this year, as well.

No, why do you have to go and ruin a perfectly good debate with such a goofy, hyperbolic statement?! A simple "I think the scores are ridiculous" is perfectly fine, but once you tag YOUR personal opinion to those of the majority of drum corps fans with zero data to back up is just asinine.

But, FWIW let me play that game, too:

I (and most everyone on the planet AND the Mars rover Curiosity) all believe that Blue Devils scored a bit low, and should've scored higher in GE Music and Vis Proficiency.

See, opinions are perfectly fine; labeling your opinion as the majority opinion is hyperbolic and kills and credibility to your argument (at least for myself and most other people :tongue: )

Yeah that comment was stupid of me, My mind is a bit mush at the moment (You try to sit through Cowboys and Aliens on a blind buy).

It was a rude comment to make, I was actually trying to make a semi-decent point, but it already went out the window.