2013 Predictions

Preseason Predictions (Top 20) V.1:

1. Carolina Crown- Going west is going to be huge for them. Crown will dance with the Blue Devils 13 times before the first regional which will make for a fun race the entire season. However, if Crown can't pull it off this year while going west and being head to head with BD the whole time someone else will slip in front of them and Crown will lose their momentum. A reputable world class director made that comment to me in the lot and it had me thinking (and worrying.)

2. Blue Devils- As much as I hate to say it, winning is in their blood. They will put up a good fight but will once again pull silver. There is something to be said about consistency and the Blue Devils have it.

3. Santa Clara Vanguard- The west coast dominance is making a return. With a crazy stacked staff and a building talent pool Vanguard built for the future and that future is now. Rennick, Shaw and Fiedler will prove to field an unstoppable force that will once again make BD sweat a little bit.

4. Phantom Regiment- 2012 treated Phantom well but there is tough competition this year and the honeymoon period is over.

5. Bluecoats- Arguably the most underrated hornline will finally get its moment. Blue will start its climb upward as the other aspects of the corps gain some stability.

6. The Cadets- The judges don't buy into "Both Sides Now." George goes back to the drawing board and 2014 will of course bring...West Side Story.

7. Boston Crusaders- I hate to keep this corps in the same placement but considering the competition above I have no choice. They will undoubtedly being their A-game though.

8. The Cavaliers- Can't quite find their mojo and once again place 8th.

9. Crossmen- Bones is hungry and isn't stopping for anyone. Building upon previous successes the Crossmen leap once again and look to the future. This years show brings heavy hitting and a deeper message. Morrison & Co. are looking to the top.

10. Madison Scouts- Another corps I hate to not be abe to move up but the interest in pleasing the crowd isn't showing in precision. I'm not knocking this but it isn't scoring points. Plus, anniversary shows are more nostalgic than truly competitive.

11. Spirit of Atlanta- Spirit will present a show with the same formula as the last two year which will bore the judges. The fans will love it but a new paint job isn't innovation.

12. Blue Knights- Avian took off at the end of 2012 but this years show can't keep the ascent. A slip up by BK only leaves room for rebound in 2014.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13. Blue Stars- The addition of great new staff members doesn't prove to be an immediate fix (Browns fans could've told you that) and another year to simmer is required.

14. The Academy- Academy are moving up and taking on tougher challenges. Piano Man should prove to be a crowd favorite and the judges should agree. One step closer to Saturday.

15. Pacific Crest- A wonderful job in 2012 makes the corps hungry for 2013. A rise in the ranks is just what they need.

16. Glassmen- I REALLY hate to do this but I have no choice. Financial trouble and a dismal hornline showing at camp (28) will prove to be painful. If the corps even fields...

17. Colts- No longer all by themselves the colts prove steady and look to the future.

18. Oregon Crusaders- After almost beating the Troopers in 2012 OC will finally pull it off. A strong WC start leaves many predicting good things in the future.

19. Jersey Surf- A roaring crowd favorite, Surf will bring soul to the midwest and move up a spot.

20. Troopers- Still not securing their identity the troopers long to bring back the magic of 2009.

• Like 1

Here are my current hopes based on what few programs have been announced, new staff announcements and, really, what I'd really like to see happen.

1. Carolina Crown - This has been overdue for YEARS! 2009 and 2012 should've been Crown victories, but I won't rehash any of that here. Carolina Crown have been fan favorites since 2007 and it's high time the scores reflect this. I believe that Crown will build on the growth in the percussion and visual sections this year and finally get their first Championship, that should be their third. Plus I see Crown going on a West Coast tour and seeing Blue Devils early on in the season as something that will really help them get to the top.

2. Santa Clara Vanguard - Another underscored corps, I really believe that Santa Clara will build on what they did last year and finally medal again. I wanted them to medal this year and in 2009, but obviously that didn't happen. I really feel that, no matter what the scores reflect, Santa Clara is the Best of the West! Hopefully, this year, they'll finally be back in the Top 3 again.

3. The Cadets - Honestly, just from hearing what they're doing musically and concept wise, I'm ready to hype the 2013 Cadets. I know some people have not really liked them lately, with 2011 being the obvious exception, but this show just screams Top 3 just from what we've been told about the design. I can't wait to see what they come up with using the whole "Both Sides Now" concept.

4 or 5. Phantom Regiment - Phantom Regiment is such a strong corps. With the exception of 2009, they've really been a powerhouse since at least 2001 and especially since 2007. I don't see them slipping any lower than fourth.

4 or 5. Blue Devils - I know I'll get blasted for this, but it could happen. It has happened. They've been in 5th before (1991) and they've been in 4th many times. What I see happening is that the four corps listed above will come out stronger than normal and will top Blue Devils by the end of the season. IF this does happen, it will be CLOSE like it was in 1980.

6. Bluecoats - Always a strong corps and always a fan favorite. I just don't see them pulling up again unless they come out with an amazing show and get some new talent.

7. Madison Scouts - Building on the successes of the past three seasons, I see Madison finally rising up in to the Top 8 -- a place they should've been last year. I'd love to see them higher, but that may be too much to hope for. They have an incredible staff and have had a fantastic talent level the past three seasons. They're definitely a corps to watch. If things keep up as they have, I see them medalling in either 2014 or 2015. I'd love to see Madison win another Championship too, though!

8 or 9. Crossmen - Another corps building on their successes. Crossmen had a fantastic year this year and, deservedly, made it into Finals again. If they can keep this up, I see only good things for them in the future. This may be a little too much to hope for, but I see talent recruiting going up for Crossmen after last year. It's hard to decide between Crossmen and Spirit of Atlanta when it comes to who is going to be in 8th or 9th, though.

8 or 9. Spirit of Atlanta - That being said, I see Spirit of Atlanta rising as well. I thought they should've been higher this year, but that's just how I felt. They've been doing so well lately and I just want to see them rise in the rankings. It's just hard to say who I want to be where, like I just said, between Spirit of Atlanta and Crossmen.

10 Boston Crusaders - The only reason I put Boston here is because I want to see Madison, Crossmen and go up in the rankings -- which means Boston has to come down. They are an incredible corps and I love their shows every year. But, for what I want to see happen with Madison, Crossmen and Spirit, they have to go down.

11. The Cavaliers - I really think that their problems last year with their show design and performance will haunt them again this year and they will actually drop lower. Until they can recapture what they were in 2000-2004, I don't see them getting back to the top again -- nor do I honestly want them to. This is nothing against the performers. It's just that I can't stand the way their shows have been designed from 2005 to present, with the exception of 2008. The shows they presented during those years, with the exception of 2008 as I said, seemed too mechanical and never have any heart. If they don't go back to their heyday in the early 2000's, I don't see them doing any better.

12. Blue Knights - They did well this year, and I like Blue Knights, but for what I want to see happen above them, I had to place them here. I'd love to see them lower, but only because there are corps I'm putting below them that I'd love to see higher ... but that is nothing against the corps. I just want to see those others recapture previous success and move up in the rankings. However, I don't think Blue Knights could realistically place any lower than 12th.

--

13. Troopers - With the new staff appointments, I am already hyping Troopers 2013. They're going to be a beast this year! If other things I want to happen above them don't, I could see Troop making finals again this year.

14. Blue Stars - I love the Blue Stars ... but, for me, if they don't go back to what they did in 2011 and do it better, they won't get back into Finals. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think their 2011 show was amazing! It was actually my second favorite show from the season. I'd love to see them do something like that again, but improve on those areas that kept their show from being higher in the rankings.

15. Jersey Surf - This is one of the most out there moves of this list, but I do think it could happen. Jersey Surf had a fantastic program in 2012 and I think that's going to lead to a huge jump in membership interest and talent. That being said, if they can keep with that kind of show and do it just as well, if not better, with more talent I do see them moving up to 15th or somewhere around here. Fun like what they presented last year is something that is missing from Drum Corps. If Jersey Surf makes this their identity within DCI, they WILL attract new members and more talent and rise through the rankings. If they can keep it up ... I see them making it into Finals in 2015 ... maybe even 2014, but that's probably a long shot.

16. Glassmen - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

17. The Academy - Just because of where I placed corps above them. But, they will place much higher in brass.

18. Oregon Crusaders - I always hope that a new World Class Corps will do well in their first season. I wanted Teal to place 15th or higher in their first season. But, considering where Oregon Crusaders placed at Prelims and Semis last year, this seems VERY possible. Being a World Class corps now, I think it's likely they will see an increase in membership and talent level, so I see this as highly possible.

19. Pacific Crest - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

20. Colts - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

21. Mandarins - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

22. Cascades - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

23. Pioneer - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

As I said, this is just pretty much what I want to see happen, within the constraints of being as realistic as possible. Honestly, if I wasn't trying to be realistic, the Top 12 would look more like this:

1. Carolina Crown

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

3. Madison Scouts

4. The Cadets

5. Phantom Regiment

6. Bluecoats

7. Spirit of Atlanta

8. Crossmen

9. Boston Crusaders

10. Blue Stars

11. Troopers

12. Jersey Surf

I know ... incredibly unrealistic. Those are just the corps I'd love to see in the Top 12. I know there's absolutely no way it would ever happen that all 12 of these would be in the Top 12 at the same time, though.

Thank you for your honest hopes and opinions. I really disagree with you about the Cavaliers. I thought that you had forgotten them until I got to 11th. I think it's a little wacky to put them there, but I realize that they're not your favorite corps. Still, that's crazy talk until they have a couple of years below 5th.... This would be true for ANY top DCI corps. I can say that I'm with you on Crown. I would like to see them win it all. Hey, we've got that in common! smile.gif

• Like 1

1. Cadets! Both Sides Now blows the judges away with the avant guard that they love but still engages the audience as a fan favorite.

2. Phantom On an STRONG upward swing. If they can only up their drill difficulty... they will be here.

3. Blue Devils... you know, something tells me that if they do another show about randomness the judges will slot them here. But if they experiment something outside their design comfort zone then maybe they will be higher and win.

4. Crown They are As consistent as Cadets... If Cadets are up then Crown will be down and visa versa.

5. Bluecoats No reason they should be 5th, except they just kinda get stuck here?

6. SCV This is a comfy spot

7. Cavies I knew this was going to be another problem for Cavies... they are TRYING TO HARD TO BE CAVIES!! They want to be like the Cavies they were and it's not going to happen. By thinking about the past and wanting to be like "frameworks" or "The machine" they are actually being un-cavies like. People can tell when they are trying too hard and it is PAINFUL to watch! Just chill out, and put together a show that isn't trying to be anything other than the future of drum corps, forget the past Cavies!

8. Madison Anniversary year bump! may beat Cavies honestly.

9. Boston

10. Spirit

11. Crossmen STRONGER!

12. Academy

13. Glassmen

14. Blue Stars... :( great staff... but a rebuilding year is a rebuilding year...

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 3

Why not? I need to take a break from doing serious stuff anyway!

Do we know of any additions or subtractions to the list? Im just copying the list from last years prelims and adjusting from there. I think OC was the only move right?

Anyway....

1.Carolina Crown-I do agree the west coast will treat them well.

2.Phantom Regiment-This is more of a hope than anything. It is so hard to tell how they will do because their shows are for the fans, not the judges sheets.

3.Blue Devils-Last years show grew on me! Cant realistically put them any lower.

4.The Cadets-Depending on how "Both Sides Now" turns out, they could move a spot either way, dont think they will move any further.

5.SCV-As long as they come out with a good design, they are a lock for 5th.

6.Bluecoats-Staff changes might hurt their underrated brass, but Im picking them to take percussion.

7.Cavaliers-Hearing some scary reports coming from those camps.

8.Madison Scouts-I am sure the desing will be great, worried about how they are doing their camps this year.

9.Boston Crusaders-I think the back 6 is gonna be a down year throughout.

10Spirit-Not sure I can get into this show... again...

11.Blue Knights-Judges thought their show was better than I did, by a long shot.

12.Blue Stars-Depends on how good their staff does educating a probably less talented group.

13.Crossmen-Barely made it last year... I dont see them being significantly better.

14.The Academy-Hopefully.

15.Pacific Crest-Depends on design.

16.Troopers-Taking another step backwards in my eyes.

17.Oregon Crusader-Their drill design is better than some top 12's.

18.Colts-Need some changes.

19.Jersey Surf-Fun, fun!

20.Glassmen-Makes me sad hearing the reports from them. Hope they can manage to make the full season.

21.BDB-Welcome back to BDB domination.

22.Vanguard Cadets-Solid lock here

23.Spartans

24.Cascades

25.Mandarins

26.Gold

27.Pioneer

28.Legends

29.7th Regiment

30.Genesis

31.Music City

32.Colt Cadets

33.Raiders

34.Blue Saints

35.Les Sentors

Haters gonna hate on this one!

1) The Cavaliers

2) Bluecoats

3) Boston Crusaders

4) Madison Scouts

5) Spirit of Atlanta

6) Blue Knights

7) Crossmen

8) Troopers

9) Oregon Crusaders

10)Jersey Surf

11)The Academy

12)Colts

13)Glassmen

14)Pacific Crest

15) Mandarins

16)Gold

17) Music City

18) Spartans

19) Velvet Knights

20) 7th Regiment

21) New start up Corps ( former DCI powerhouse )

22) New start up Corps ( former DCI powerhouse as well )

Oh well, as we know, its never too early to do predictions, so this is for 2014 ( not sure just yet about 2015... I'll think about this, and maybe do this one right after the Holidays)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I see what you did there.

1) The Cavaliers

2) Bluecoats

3) Boston Crusaders

4) Madison Scouts

5) Spirit of Atlanta

6) Blue Knights

7) Crossmen

8) Troopers

9) Oregon Crusaders

10)Jersey Surf

11)The Academy

12)Colts

13)Glassmen

14)Pacific Crest

15) Mandarins

16)Gold

17) Music City

18) Spartans

19) Velvet Knights

20) 7th Regiment

21) New start up Corps ( former DCI powerhouse )

22) New start up Corps ( former DCI powerhouse as well )

Oh well, as we know, its never too early to do predictions, so this is for 2014 ( not sure just yet about 2015... I'll think about this, and maybe do this one right after the Holidays)

1. Cadets! Both Sides Now blows the judges away with the avant guard that they love but still engages the audience as a fan favorite.

2. Phantom On an STRONG upward swing. If they can only up their drill difficulty... they will be here.

3. Blue Devils... you know, something tells me that if they do another show about randomness the judges will slot them here. But if they experiment something outside their design comfort zone then maybe they will be higher and win.

4. Crown They are As consistent as Cadets... If Cadets are up then Crown will be down and visa versa.

5. Bluecoats No reason they should be 5th, except they just kinda get stuck here?

6. SCV This is a comfy spot

7. Cavies I knew this was going to be another problem for Cavies... they are TRYING TO HARD TO BE CAVIES!! They want to be like the Cavies they were and it's not going to happen. By thinking about the past and wanting to be like "frameworks" or "The machine" they are actually being un-cavies like. People can tell when they are trying too hard and it is PAINFUL to watch! Just chill out, and put together a show that isn't trying to be anything other than the future of drum corps, forget the past Cavies!

8. Madison Anniversary year bump! may beat Cavies honestly.

9. Boston

10. Spirit

11. Crossmen STRONGER!

12. Academy

13. Glassmen

14. Blue Stars... :( great staff... but a rebuilding year is a rebuilding year...

Colts’s 50th

Mandarins’s 50th

Carolina Crown’s 25th

Pacific Crest’s 20th

Cavies 65th

• Like 1

Colts's 50th

Mandarins's 50th

Carolina Crown's 25th

Pacific Crest's 20th

Cavies 65th

75th is much more significant then all of the above plus this is the most traditional corps there is were talkin' about, they're mile-stone anniversary is a big deal.

• Like 1

I would like to add that i have heard that the Glassmen have made up over 40% of their debts, and that I have also heard a lot of buzz around the Texas camps. Besides, it's too early to decide whether or not about he horn line. Besides the camp was held really close to hell week for college students.

Preseason Predictions (Top 20) V.1:

1. Carolina Crown- Going west is going to be huge for them. Crown will dance with the Blue Devils 13 times before the first regional which will make for a fun race the entire season. However, if Crown can't pull it off this year while going west and being head to head with BD the whole time someone else will slip in front of them and Crown will lose their momentum. A reputable world class director made that comment to me in the lot and it had me thinking (and worrying.)

2. Blue Devils- As much as I hate to say it, winning is in their blood. They will put up a good fight but will once again pull silver. There is something to be said about consistency and the Blue Devils have it.

3. Santa Clara Vanguard- The west coast dominance is making a return. With a crazy stacked staff and a building talent pool Vanguard built for the future and that future is now. Rennick, Shaw and Fiedler will prove to field an unstoppable force that will once again make BD sweat a little bit.

4. Phantom Regiment- 2012 treated Phantom well but there is tough competition this year and the honeymoon period is over.

5. Bluecoats- Arguably the most underrated hornline will finally get its moment. Blue will start its climb upward as the other aspects of the corps gain some stability.

6. The Cadets- The judges don't buy into "Both Sides Now." George goes back to the drawing board and 2014 will of course bring...West Side Story.

7. Boston Crusaders- I hate to keep this corps in the same placement but considering the competition above I have no choice. They will undoubtedly being their A-game though.

8. The Cavaliers- Can't quite find their mojo and once again place 8th.

9. Crossmen- Bones is hungry and isn't stopping for anyone. Building upon previous successes the Crossmen leap once again and look to the future. This years show brings heavy hitting and a deeper message. Morrison & Co. are looking to the top.

10. Madison Scouts- Another corps I hate to not be abe to move up but the interest in pleasing the crowd isn't showing in precision. I'm not knocking this but it isn't scoring points. Plus, anniversary shows are more nostalgic than truly competitive.

11. Spirit of Atlanta- Spirit will present a show with the same formula as the last two year which will bore the judges. The fans will love it but a new paint job isn't innovation.

12. Blue Knights- Avian took off at the end of 2012 but this years show can't keep the ascent. A slip up by BK only leaves room for rebound in 2014.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13. Blue Stars- The addition of great new staff members doesn't prove to be an immediate fix (Browns fans could've told you that) and another year to simmer is required.

14. The Academy- Academy are moving up and taking on tougher challenges. Piano Man should prove to be a crowd favorite and the judges should agree. One step closer to Saturday.

15. Pacific Crest- A wonderful job in 2012 makes the corps hungry for 2013. A rise in the ranks is just what they need.

16. Glassmen- I REALLY hate to do this but I have no choice. Financial trouble and a dismal hornline showing at camp (28) will prove to be painful. If the corps even fields...

17. Colts- No longer all by themselves the colts prove steady and look to the future.

18. Oregon Crusaders- After almost beating the Troopers in 2012 OC will finally pull it off. A strong WC start leaves many predicting good things in the future.

19. Jersey Surf- A roaring crowd favorite, Surf will bring soul to the midwest and move up a spot.

20. Troopers- Still not securing their identity the troopers long to bring back the magic of 2009.

Any corps placing in the top 12 in 2013 will do so by earning it. Just reading through your list and comments further illustrates that point. I'd say I can't wait, but I also am looking forward to the journey to Indy!

PS - We will see Glassmen on the field this year. I'm not only counting on it, but confident as a paying parent, that the corps will be just fine. Anyone interested in enjoying a terrific drum corps experience, come join!

• Like 1