2013 Predictions

I had a dream this morning of reading the recap article on DCI.org from finals (though it could be any of the regionals I suppose). Anyway, I only got through the top 7 before waking up, so here's what the article said:

1- Blue Devils (as much more of a fan favorite than recent years)

2- Cadets (.1 or .2 away)

3- Bluecoats (something about their "America" theme making an impact & making people connect/think)

T-4th- Phantom/SCV

At this point of the article, I start scratching my head because the next thing I read is

6- Boston Crusaders

I then scroll the article asking if there was an editing typo, & then I see

7- Carolina Crown (something about disappointment from something not clicking in the show as we've grown accustomed to seeing)

This was all I got, but if this comes true, it's going to be an interesting season for sure!

Edit- I just want to add that these aren't my "prediction picks" because I in no way actually Crown in 7th, but I thought my dream "prediction" was outlandish enough to post on here as well lol.

Edited by loopin' froot loops

Reliable sources tell me Troop is fielding their largest corps ever this year.

Thats good to hear. Their music and theme chosen for this season seems to fit them to a T, imo.

Look, I think Crown will win this year if they get even close to being clean, but my reasons for believing this are much more grounded in a bit of conspiracy theory. My point is that I just can't understand the (common) assertion that Crown should have won in 2012. It literally causes my brain to short circuit.

Seriously...that ending drill was dirty from day 1 to finals day. I never saw that rotating box clean even once. Not saying it's easy...but it's gotta be clean if you want to win!

• Like 6

Seriously...that ending drill was dirty from day 1 to finals day. I never saw that rotating box clean even once. Not saying it's easy...but it's gotta be clean if you want to win!

Crown finished 6th in Percussion at Finals ( 7th in Semi's ) last season. Its hard to win a Title with any section finishing in these placement spots. But this is a new season, and they start fresh once again.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Based off of design, instruction, consistency and politics, this is a realistic placement:

1. Crown

2. BD

3. Cadets

4. SCV

5. Phantom

6. Bluecoats

7. Cavaliers

8. Boston

9. Madison

10. Blue Stars

11. Spirit

12. Crossmen or BK

Not sure where this thought of having a large number of people at audition camps means your corps will move up in placement. Even large vet retention is no promise. Look at Bluecoats 2007, a predominantly vet horn line and the corps fell from 4th to 7th. These days, design is approx. 70% of your success. Members can be solid and instruction at the highest level, but if the design is flawed the overall success of the corps will be limited. The top 6 on the list have consistently proven to design effective shows in recent years. The bottom 6 have not shown enough consistency in design and/or instruction to not have a good year be considered luck. Boston has come close, but still hasn't been able to add up to the corps above. Let's be honest, Boston beat Cavaliers last season because the Cavaliers were not in their prime. Boston had a great show, but if Cavaliers were on point as they have been in recent years, they would not have fallen and Boston would not have moved up. Same goes for Crossmen. Blue Stars were not at their best which made room for Crossmen to shine.

The reality is that the top 12 are eat or be eaten! If a corps slips up, there are several other hungry corps ready to take their place. Or a lower corps may decide to sharpen their teeth, do some things different and best a complacent corps. Regardless, it's exciting and why it's fun making predictions based off of literally no admissible data.

Based off of design, instruction, consistency and politics, this is a realistic placement:

1. Crown

2. BD

3. Cadets

4. SCV

5. Phantom

6. Bluecoats

7. Cavaliers

8. Boston

9. Madison

10. Blue Stars

11. Spirit

12. Crossmen or BK

Not sure where this thought of having a large number of people at audition camps means your corps will move up in placement. Even large vet retention is no promise. Look at Bluecoats 2007, a predominantly vet horn line and the corps fell from 4th to 7th. These days, design is approx. 70% of your success. Members can be solid and instruction at the highest level, but if the design is flawed the overall success of the corps will be limited. The top 6 on the list have consistently proven to design effective shows in recent years. The bottom 6 have not shown enough consistency in design and/or instruction to not have a good year be considered luck. Boston has come close, but still hasn't been able to add up to the corps above. Let's be honest, Boston beat Cavaliers last season because the Cavaliers were not in their prime. Boston had a great show, but if Cavaliers were on point as they have been in recent years, they would not have fallen and Boston would not have moved up. Same goes for Crossmen. Blue Stars were not at their best which made room for Crossmen to shine.

The reality is that the top 12 are eat or be eaten! If a corps slips up, there are several other hungry corps ready to take their place. Or a lower corps may decide to sharpen their teeth, do some things different and best a complacent corps. Regardless, it's exciting and why it's fun making predictions based off of literally no admissible data.

How do we account for Phantom's 9TH PLACE finish only three years ago? Is this the "consistently proven" design effectiveness of which you speak? Everytime someone tries to pidgeonhole Boston as not capable of being in the top six and certain other corps are escounced in the top six, history continues to get in the way.

• Like 2

How do we account for Phantom's 9TH PLACE finish only three years ago? Is this the "consistently proven" design effectiveness of which you speak? Everytime someone tries to pidgeonhole Boston as not capable of being in the top six and certain other corps are escounced in the top six, history continues to get in the way.

Lol -- it's ok . The 7th and 8th place Crown predictions happen like clockwork on DCP as well.

FWIW I agree BAC usually outperforms their predictions here. And that's a good thing :-)

• Like 4

check out their placements the years Jamey Thompson wrote their drill (05,06,07,11,12) .... pretty consistently good.

• Like 2

I don't agree with the predictions showing the Cavaliers in the bottom 6. I think they will come back quite strong this year.

I think they will bump a number of corps placing higher in pre-season predictions.

Edited by LincolnV

Not sure where this thought of having a large number of people at audition camps means your corps will move up in placement.

You must have gotten that " thought " perhaps away from DCP, as its not on this thread. Although it was stated on here that, as a general rule, its better for staff to have large numbers of auditioneers to select from than smaller numbers.

I do agree that Design of shows is the most important element, and within the show design itself, the current judging captions reward Guard and Visual. As such, most predictions probably would probably be well served to look first at the quality of the Guard that a Corps is working on in the offseason, and the staff's history of designing quality Visual Shows. I would prefer that the judging captions were more weighted toward the Brass and the Percussion, but nobody asked me ( lol! ) when they designed the current sheets and what is most rewarded. Thus, if a Corps is expected to have a large and capable Guard, along with an expansive and creative Visual show and theme, they should do well this season, imo. I can't predict placements very well as I frankly don't have a clue on Guard qualities among various units, although to be sure it seems like BD has had Guards the last few years that are a cut above all the rest ( winning Guard, 3 out of last 4 years. )

Edited by BRASSO