2013 Predictions

I don't think people realize, it was really design that got Crossmen into finals. Especially visual. Their performance captions, especially music were not all that great (color guard got shafted... that guard was great IMO). Ed Devlin's drill might not look all that spectacular.. with all the curvilinear forms morphing all over the field, but it still moves. It's not that much different than say jamey Thompson (although I think he writes on a completely different level than Ed... Jamey's drill is awesome).. or even BD. It needs some work.. and honestly it's kinda boring, but the staging is there, the integration is there. Field coverage could be better, although he does get there most of the time... it's just uninteresting... and not the easiest to clean... and it's especially uninteresting for the fan after watch the ridiculous #### Rosander gave the Blue Stars to feast on...

I think Crossmen can definitely move up with their current design team. I think it is limited though... just like it was in the early 2000s... pretty much the identical team... they were performing just as well as the top corps... music was great.. what hurt them? The drill (2001 KILLS me... what a great show... a shame they didn't march for most of it). And then a couple more good years.. then the #### hit the fan... and here we are again.

I have the most confidence in Chuck Naffier along with the percussion designers (they ain't chop liver!) on that design team to keep carrying the corps into the upper echelon of DCI. Klesch and Chuck are my top two arrangers in the activity at this time. I'm not completely sold on the rest of the design team yet.

In the meantime, Crossmen just have to put out another good design (looks promising) and all they have to do is perform it better. I'm pretty sure they have the music staff in place.. I know the brass is solid, have a new percussion caption head coming in, so we'll se how that goes. Guard will be strong, some change with the rest of the visual staff, but I think that will work out pretty well too. Lots of vets, lots of talent. This alum is gonna hype the #### out of it.

• Like 8

My gut tells me that once again those DCP'ers that think they are "in the know" probably are not as usual. :devil:

1. BD

2. Cadets

3. Phantom

4. SCV

5. Crown

6. Madison

7. Bluecoats

8. Boston

9. Cavies

10. Crossmen

11. BK

12. Spirit

The Rest

But possibly the most entertaining season since the 90's

At Least I hope so!

• Like 4

My gut tells me that once again those DCP'ers that think they are "in the know" probably are not as usual. :devil:/>

1. BD

2. Cadets

3. Phantom

4. SCV

5. Crown

6. Madison

7. Bluecoats

8. Boston

9. Cavies

10. Crossmen

11. BK

12. Spirit

The Rest

But possibly the most entertaining season since the 90's

At Least I hope so!

You said to be in the know, but you have Madison over Bloo and SCV in 4th ;) Having heard camp recordings from all parties mentioned, I can confidently say that will not be the order.

• Like 3

You said to be in the know, but you have Madison over Bloo and SCV in 4th ;) Having heard camp recordings from all parties mentioned, I can confidently say that will not be the order.

It's a sad day for drum corps if Finals placement can be accurately predicted from camp recordings.

I'll give it a whirl:

1. BD (I've never predicted a BD title, but I think Rite of Spring is right up their alley for where they've been design-wise the last few years.)

2. SCV (Wishful thinking, but this show could be special if they're the corps that finally does Les Mis right [sorry, '89 Cadets].)

3. Cadets

4. Crown

5. Phantom (I don't think they'll repeat top 3 with another 7th-place percussion section.)

6. Bloo (I've heard great things, but I just can't put them any higher. I wouldn't be shocked to see them at 4 or 5.)

7. Cavies (genuinely hoping they prove me wrong, but they gotta show me last year was just a fluke; I think losing Gaines was much bigger than most people are letting on.)

8. Boston

9. Madison

10. Spirit

11. BK

12. Crossmen

13. Blue Stars (12th wouldn't surprise me at all.)

14. Troopers (So what if I'm bumping them up because of Rennick writing and his former students teaching there; this is my prediction, I'll do what I want. tongue.gif)

15. Pac Crest

16. The Academy

17. OC

18. Colts

19. Surf

20. Mandarins

21. Cascades

22. Pioneer

Edited by Tyler C.

if they're the corps that finally does Les Mis right [sorry, '89 Cadets]

Cadets '89 is the second-highest scoring fifth-place show ever.

You will reply: "Comparisons of scores from different years mean nothing!" And I will concede, because I prefer Cadets '89 to the highest-scored fifth-place performance: SCV '09.

Cadets '89 is the second-highest scoring fifth-place show ever.

You will reply: "Comparisons of scores from different years mean nothing!" And I will concede, because I prefer Cadets '89 to the highest-scored fifth-place performance: SCV '09.

That '89 show holds a spot close to my heart too (getting goosebumps just thinking about it). I'm really excited to hear SCV put their spin on it this year, it's the single show I'm most looking forward to.

Forget the fact that it's WAY too early. It's all for fun.

1. Carolina Crown - I believe that they will finally find their luster, and harness their dynamic designs into something that's awe inspiring and 1st place achievable.

2. Blue Devils - They'll still have the same thunder they had this season, but it is time for a new champion.

3. Santa Clara Vanguard - Bringing them back to the top 3. The last time was 2004. They have one of the best perc/brass writers in all of drum corps, and this year's production was outstanding.

4/5/6. Cadets/Phantom Regiment/Bluecoats - it's a toss up between these two.

7. Cavaliers - Like Phantom Regiment after 2009, they will rise back up, but it will be a slow rise.

8. Blue Knights - Personally I'd love see my favorite corps make the top 8 again, and they have the design team to do it.

9/10. Madison Scouts/Boston Crusaders - Two corps that have impressed and produced fan favorites as of recent years.

11. Crossmen - They got the fire started back up, and they wont stop any time soon.

12. Spirit of Atlanta - Still a finals corps, I just don't know how far they'll move up.

I would write in the rest, but I'm too lazy too.

Top 4 in no order: Boston, Crown, Phantom, SCV. Have a great day.

Top 4 in no order: Boston, Crown, Phantom, SCV. Have a great day.

The only current World Class Division Corps that Boston has never beaten are the Blue Devils.

Some additional stats on the Blue Devils:

Only once since 1975... 38 years ago.... have the Blue Devils finished out of the top 4. This was 1991, where they came in 5th. BD biggest placement drop since 1975 has been 3 positions... from 1st in '86 to 4th in '87. Other than that, they are the model of consistency of excellence.

I don't see BD coming in lower than 4th this year, but who knows.

• Like 2

The only current World Class Division Corps that Boston has never beaten are the Blue Devils.

Some additional stats on the Blue Devils:

Only once since 1975... 38 years ago.... have the Blue Devils finished out of the top 4. This was 1991, where they came in 5th. BD biggest placement drop since 1975 has been 3 positions... from 1st in '86 to 4th in '87. Other than that, they are the model of consistency of excellence.

I don't see BD coming in lower than 4th this year, but who knows.

I know that. No disrespect to BD. Best corp in DCI history.