2013 Predictions

I agree with you! I should have specified it, but I was speaking in terms of what the corps' fans hype every year. Ask anyone who supports a certain corps, most of them who don't really know the inner workings will say that the corps is "better", "on fire", "awesome" or any other description one can think of.

BTW, I like a healthy debate BRASSO and have enjoyed the back the and forth. Thank you, take care.

True. I enjoy the fans that " hype " their Corps. Its passionate, hopeful, and it fills the offseason well, and guess what ? Sometimes their Corps does do better than many predicted within their mix of corps within their grouping. If I had to think of a Corps that does seem to do a little bit better than many fans think in the offseason, it would be the Boston Crusaders. Are they going to place in the Top 3 this Year ? Doubt it. Are they going to fall out of the top 10 ? Doubt it. Thats about as " consistent " as it gets, imo. But we can say this just as easily for example with the Bluecoats too. Or Pioneer, or Pacific Crest, or Santa Clara Vanguard, Blue Devils, Madison, Jersey Surf, and all the others, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree with you! I should have specified it, but I was speaking in terms of what the corps' fans hype every year. Ask anyone who supports a certain corps, most of them who don't really know the inner workings will say that the corps is "better", "on fire", "awesome" or any other description one can think of.

BTW, I like a healthy debate BRASSO and have enjoyed the back the and forth. Thank you, take care.

Ha, that's true from a fan perspective, it seems.

"My corps has had record turn out at camps, members & rookies are more talented than ever before, we've already learned most of the show by April, and we're going to be on fire/better than last year by a lot!" :tongue:

Weird thing, though: maybe for the most part that's actually correct! If every corps does get better every year (for the most part), then placements would generally be similar every year (for the most part). That seems to happen, so maybe all of the pre-season hype is mostly true, it just happens to every corps for the most part?!

• Like 1

Exactly!

sincerely, 2009 Regiment & 2012 Cavaliers (among many others)... tongue.gif

I do see what you are saying, though you are making grave assumptions over design vs. membership in scoring, but we shall roll with it.

But I would like to ask to you, and really all in here, Phantom took 2 years of downturn before getting back into their ways (5th in 2011 was a 95.050 so I would say they were being consistent again). How long do you expect it to take the Cavaliers after last year? The buzz around their show this year hasn't existed since the years of 2010, 2008, or 2006. Their is huge potential for their design (comparative to 15 MoF) and with the editions of Jeremy Earnhart, Mitch Rogers, and Alan Spaeth their seems to be a very huge change in show design. The corps is ahead of where they usually are and from all I have seen and heard I wouldn't be surprised if the corps scores a 94 or so this year. Now the best part about DCI is placements change with how other corps perform. So this 95 could mean anywhere from (realistically) 5-2 (or maybe just 3). It may be one of the most surprising jumps of DCI history, but I think they will not mess around this year and lollygag when the Cavalier reputation is on the line.

My predictions for this year are:

1. Blue Devils

2. Crown

3. Cadets

4. Cavaliers

5. Santa Clara

6. Phantom

7. Bluecoats

8. Boston

9. Madison

10. Spirit

11. Crossmen

12. Blue Knights

Now, no dissing of Phantom, Boston and BK. I think with the Designs already presented that the top 9 could all be in the 90s this year. Of course the new judges scoring sheets can "hurt" some corps, this year will be one to remember IMHO. If y'all would like me to cite certain placements I have no problem answering your questions, though I do believe I already justified my Cavaliers placement.

Have a wonderful day pretour/spring training/move-ins/whatever your corps called it starts this month boys!

That's true: either they consistently over-achieve, or DCP consistently has lowered expectations for them. That is an intriguing observation

It may be just me, but as a Boston supporter since 1977, it really aggravates me that in the last few years, some of our DCP braintrust continue to disparage the corps. I know full well that not everyone is a fan(especially in this discussion forum), and I can absolutely accept that. BUT, as one who is very close to the organization, it sometimes galls me that some folks give so little credit to them.

This is an organization which HAS survived for 73 years, and that fact alone should be creditworthy. The management and design team go out of their way to generate audience-friendly productions while reinforcing BAC's "Old School" persona AND simultanteously staying current with the lastest design trends. I don't think some folks appreciate either the magnitude or the challenges inherent in that particular balancing act.

And, we also have some folks who have incredibly short memories, and have convinced themselves that the current top 6 have ALWAYS been there. Some of this may be generational, and I get that.

For my own part, I go out of my way to NOT hype the corps in the off season, as well as not disparage other corps. You will find very few, if any, Boston people on here posting the typical hype. Perhaps that lack of hype is the reason for the annual "low balling" of expectations on DCP.

In any event, this summer the Boston Crusaders will likely place somewhere between 4th and 8th. So, I guess I have now made my prediction.

Ha, that's true from a fan perspective, it seems.

"My corps has had record turn out at camps, members & rookies are more talented than ever before, we've already learned most of the show by April, and we're going to be on fire/better than last year by a lot!" :tongue:/>/>/>/>

Weird thing, though: maybe for the most part that's actually correct! If every corps does get better every year (for the most part), then placements would generally be similar every year (for the most part). That seems to happen, so maybe all of the pre-season hype is mostly true, it just happens to every corps for the most part?!

A few years back I made a fictional report that I had gone to a World Class Corps camp and came back with the review that the Corps only had 32 brass in audition attendance, including 4 tubas, 4 mello's ( one player in an armsling ), and the brass instructor was working on them playing the chromatic scale. I also said I watched the snare line of 4 play for a bit all alone under an oak tree.

I think I freaked out at least a dozen of their fans and alums, 2 of whom emailed me... So I immediately retracted the made up fictional story. I found out that my attempt at humor on this was an epic fail, and that I should never, EVER, do something like this again...... lesson learned ( haha !)

Edited by BRASSO

In any event, this summer the Boston Crusaders will likely place somewhere between 4th and 8th. So, I guess I have now made my prediction.

Boston is going to finish 13th this season, Craiga

There.... for balance.

( duck and cover !!.... incoming ! )

Boston is going to finish 13th this season, Craiga

There.... for balance.

( duck and cover !!.... incoming ! )

LOL!

I think with the Designs already presented that the top 9 could all be in the 90s this year.

Eventually, it might turn out to be accurate... who knows. But who have the Corps " Designs already been presented to " ? The printer ? DCP ? Who ? Just curious thats all, as I really have no idea what this means.

LOL!

haha!

My predictions are the same as the DCI judges….everyone starts this year the way they finished last year until proven otherwise; based upon the communal chatter, the biggest meltdowns from the most named staff tempered with the it must be Art multiplier bumping up the sub-captions and of course the WCI + 2 pt spread, just because

• Like 1