What does BDs’ victory really mean?

In reality, I think corps should look at this as an opportunity for experimentation. If you look at BD since 2008 - (the initial start of this current trend and only a subpar percussion performance away from 4 straight), 09 was (musically and programming wise) fairly mainstream, 2010 was the a continuation of the state of BD begun in 08, 2011, they tried to incorporate mainstream with their “new” direction and almost pulled it off. This year they were once again successful with a show that was uniquely all their own. What this tells me is, the judging community wants corps to take risks, think outside the box. How different, really, were most of the corps shows from years past? Regiment (loved it) thematically though, pretty much the same as 08, 09, 10, & 11. So, what do corps need to do to be (competitively) successful? Well, let’s stick with the Regiment, outside the box thinking here, they need to do a show based on the musical Hair! WHAT? That’s sacrilege! Really?

Hair makes many references to Shakespeare’s plays, especially Romeo & Juliet and Hamlet and, at times, takes lyrical material directly from Shakespeare. For example, the lyrics to the song "What a Piece of Work Is Man" are from Hamlet (II: scene 2) and portions of "Flesh Failures" ("the rest is silence") are from Hamlet's final lines. In "Flesh Failures/Let The Sun Shine In", the lyrics "Eyes, look your last!/ Arms, take your last embrace! And lips, O you/ The doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss" are from Romeo and Juliet (V: iii, 111–14).[/url]<A name=MemBusLending>

So, pick your corps and place them way outside the box and let your imaginations run wild!

RM

• Like 1

Well, let’s stick with the Regiment, outside the box thinking here, they need to do a show based on the musical Hair! WHAT? That’s sacrilege! Really?

Regiment should just continue to be Regiment. I could do without the seemingly recurring "death" themes, at least for a year or two. But they do what they do very well, especially musically.

While 2008 was clearly their best "effect" effort, 2012 came pretty close, and was far and away the best musical performance of the last five or six years, and easily my favorite since 2003. Nessun Dorma, for me, transcended drum corps. It was brilliant.

• Like 7

In reality, I think corps should look at this as an opportunity for experimentation. If you look at BD since 2008 - (the initial start of this current trend and only a subpar percussion performance away from 4 straight), 09 was (musically and programming wise) fairly mainstream, 2010 was the a continuation of the state of BD begun in 08, 2011, they tried to incorporate mainstream with their “new” direction and almost pulled it off. This year they were once again successful with a show that was uniquely all their own. What this tells me is, the judging community wants corps to take risks, think outside the box. How different, really, were most of the corps shows from years past? Regiment (loved it) thematically though, pretty much the same as 08, 09, 10, & 11. So, what do corps need to do to be (competitively) successful? Well, let’s stick with the Regiment, outside the box thinking here, they need to do a show based on the musical Hair! WHAT? That’s sacrilege! Really?

Hair makes many references to Shakespeare’s plays, especially Romeo & Juliet and Hamlet and, at times, takes lyrical material directly from Shakespeare. For example, the lyrics to the song "What a Piece of Work Is Man" are from Hamlet (II: scene 2) and portions of "Flesh Failures" ("the rest is silence") are from Hamlet's final lines. In "Flesh Failures/Let The Sun Shine In", the lyrics "Eyes, look your last!/ Arms, take your last embrace! And lips, O you/ The doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss" are from Romeo and Juliet (V: iii, 111–14).[/url]<A name=MemBusLending>

So, pick your corps and place them way outside the box and let your imaginations run wild!

RM

For every Corps that was successful ( BD ) by " going outside the box " ( as you said ) some Corps " go outside the box " and they disappear to us or suffer placement slide. BK used to do " dark shows ", but suffered placement slide. They developed a more accessible fan friendly show the last 2 seasons and moved up in placements and secured better scores with that. They did an " outside the box " show this season however and before pulling it all together with a good precussion line and guard it looked for awhile in June like they might fall" outside the Box" we call the Top 12 this year. The Troopers used to do shows with a western motif. They then decided to do some " thinking outside the box " with their shows and themes. And now unfortunately, they are completely lost to us right now, as they apparently have no idea anymore how they becamefondly known as " America's Corps " with recent shows and themes that are uncharacteristic for them now. SCV went back to accessible music and show this year after getting lost 2 years ago with Bartok's boring ( my opinion anyway ) " thinking outside of the box "show production from them. The appear to have found their mojo again. BD is to be commended for winning with what they do. Do I think that Phantom Regiment should forego their classic style and go Avarde Garde ? Only if they want to lose themselves for a season as the Cavaliers did with their " thinking outside of the box" show production from them this year.

Edited by BRASSO

It means BD has the talent and moxie to do anything they want. I was being humorous and not serious minded when I said they could sit on a toilet while juggling, looking in a mirror and playing hula hoop..... All the while playing everything from Burt B to Bird N Bella in Bb. I just think that having superior talent means you can take risks. As does the fact that they've won more titles than anyone the "normal way." They have nothing to prove in the activity and thus there is a no fear attitude in design and performance that exceeds that of any other corps. Til someone has equal talent and teaching they will continue to win with any show.

Wes P

• Like 1

For every Corps that was successful ( BD ) by " going outside the box " ( as you said ) some Corps " go outside the box " and they disappear to us or suffer placement slide. BK used to do " dark shows ", but suffered placement slide. They developed a more accessible fan friendly show the last 2 seasons and moved up in placements and secured better scores with that. They did an " outside the box " show this season however and before pulling it all together with a good precussion line it looked for awhile in June like they might fall" outside the Box" we call the Top 12 this year. The Troopers used to do shows with a western motif. They then decided to do some " thinking outside the box " with their shows and themes. And now unfortunately, they are completely lost to us right now, as they apparently have no idea how they became " America's Corps " withshows that are uncharacteristic for them. SCV went back to accessible music and show this year after getting lost with Bartok's boring ( my opinion anyway ) " thinking out of the box "show production from last season. BD is to be commended for winning with what they do. Do I think that Phantom Regiment to forego their classic style and go Avarde Garde ? Only if thwey want to lose themselves for a season as the Cavaliers did with their " thibnking outside of the box" show production of " everybody is famous for 15 minutes ".

So are you saying that only BD can successfully go "outside the box?" That then begs the question, is it because they are BD? If, for example, Bluecoats did BD's 2012 show to the same level of performance, would they have won with that show? If the answer is "no", then the question becomes, why can corps "A" get away with what they do while corps "B", also removing itself from "the box", is slammed?

I agree, both Cavaliers and Knights were outside their usual "boxes" and no, it didn't fare well for them. Are we going down the "if BDs doing it, it must be the thing to do" road?

RM

Are we going down the "if BDs doing it, it must be the thing to do" road?

RM

I doubt it. We've never had a year where Corps copy the top Corps in hopes of winning. Did BD change up their style after Phantom Regiment won with an understandable " Spartacus " theme in 2008 ? And going back just a bit further, did Phantom Regiment adopt the style of the winning Cadets show " The Zone " ? Was the winning " Spartacus " show and theme anything like the Cadets " The Zone " ? Crown nearly won with " Triple Crown " and this years show. Are these shows anthing at all like The Cavs " The Machine " winning show ? Is BD's " Dada " winning show this season anything at all like the Cadets " Angels and Demons " winning show from last season ?

So no, I have little fear that we'll be seeing ( for example ) Phantom Regiment doing a non classic show because BD won with their style of show this season.

Edited by BRASSO

In reality, I think corps should look at this as an opportunity for experimentation. If you look at BD since 2008 - (the initial start of this current trend and only a subpar percussion performance away from 4 straight), 09 was (musically and programming wise) fairly mainstream, 2010 was the a continuation of the state of BD begun in 08, 2011, they tried to incorporate mainstream with their “new” direction and almost pulled it off. This year they were once again successful with a show that was uniquely all their own. What this tells me is, the judging community wants corps to take risks, think outside the box.

I don't think it tells us anything about what the judges want. It's most definitely not about taking risks or thinking outside the box. Blue Devils' shows the last few years are clever wrappers for technical showcases, but they are as safe as can be. Here's our triple-tongue feature, here's our precision marching, here's our dance, here's our individual demand, here's our ripple toss, here's our unison toss, here's our posturing drum feature, here's our sequential drum solo feature. Here's our pretty brass section, here's our loud swinging brass section, here's our atonal brass section, here's our brass playing spread across the field, here's our unique guard equipment, here's our high-speed brass runs. Nothing is executed more often than necessary to get credit from the judges, but they hit all the de-facto compulsory design elements along the way.

Amazing skill and precision? Yep. Clever and unique designs? Sure. Avoiding drum corps show design cliches? Well, some anyway. But risky? Not in the least.

• Like 5

It means BD has the talent and moxie to do anything they want. I was being humorous and not serious minded when I said they could sit on a toilet while juggling, looking in a mirror and playing hula hoop..... All the while playing everything from Burt B to Bird N Bella in Bb. I just think that having superior talent means you can take risks. As does the fact that they've won more titles than anyone the "normal way." They have nothing to prove in the activity and thus there is a no fear attitude in design and performance that exceeds that of any other corps. Til someone has equal talent and teaching they will continue to win with any show.

Wes P

BD can not do whatever they want. They can only do what BD can do. Avant guard drill design/music and jazz. They cannot do what Cadets, Crown, and Phantom have done. BD does a niche of drumcorps. BD could not pull off a Christmas show, or tell the story of Romeo and Juliet, or Be Superhumans. I think Crown and Cadets are more versatile drum corps. Just look at their themes year to year and styles of music! Uncomparable.

And BD does not have the best teachers or designers in drum corps. There are more and equally talented educators in other corps. A DCI score is no indication of teaching talent.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 3

Simply, it means they designed and performed a show that at every event they were in, the judges found superior to their competition. /thread

• Like 1