What does BDs’ victory really mean?

I'm confused by your comment that crown nearly won with their triple crown show. In what universe is 6th place early winning?

I should have explained myself better re Crown. I meant to state their " Grass is Always Greener " Show ( 2nd place ), not " Triple Crown ", referring to my comment re. their " show that almost won ". Sorry for the confusion with the misstatement of Crown's earlier 2nd place show theme that I meant to say above.

Edited by BRASSO

I say all of the corps do what they did so well last year: stick to their identity.

• Like 1

I figure each Corps should keep doing what they're doing. This year had great variety in entertainment

and I enjoyed pretty much every show I got to see!

Edited by madalumni
  • Like 3

BD's victory means thy won the title. Period. This is no small accomplishment, but any year the Blue Devils win, it's not a surprise. I've said on other posts that the Blue Devils are going to do what the Blue Devils will do, and they don't usually have followers. They do set the standard, but they are not trend setters and there is a difference. So I am not expecting "Cabaret Voltaire" look-alikes next year. If you loved BD this year, drum corps has not been saved, and if you hated them, well, their victory is not the end of drum corps so don't call the undertaker and plan the funeral.

Now I loved Crown's show this year and actually thought their semi's show was the best of the three nights and should have topped BD at least that evening. Now we can have all sorts of debates as to which show was superior, but there is one thing I noticed about BD that I believe made a difference. Crown's show was fast paced and there was little to no time to digest what was happening which was an advantage and disadvantage. BD also had a fast paced show, but there were small intervals where what they were doing could be processed. Judges had a better chance to evaluate what was happening. This would not have changed Crown's percussion issues, but it might have helped visually and with guard. And as I've said before, BD knows what it takes to win, took the time to make sure their show was clean before heading out for the major portion of the tour, and this strategy worked. Strategy is part of competition too.

• Like 2

What does it really mean?

It means the dinos are running the table in this game, that's what.

Check out the elders on BD staff:

Dave Gibbs

Pete Emmons

Scott Chandler

Jay Murphy

Jack Meehan

Scott Johnson

Todd Ryan

Average age?

Well, let's just say this geezer marched with a couple of those cats.

And a few of them are older than that.

Many other people who have huge influence on the activity are also middle-aged.

Cesario?

dino.

Hoppy?

dino.

Acheson?

dino.

Where is the youth connection coming from? You do the math.

Edited by breezemont
  • Like 1

In reality, I think corps should look at this as an opportunity for experimentation. If you look at BD since 2008 - (the initial start of this current trend and only a subpar percussion performance away from 4 straight), 09 was (musically and programming wise) fairly mainstream, 2010 was the a continuation of the state of BD begun in 08, 2011, they tried to incorporate mainstream with their “new” direction and almost pulled it off. This year they were once again successful with a show that was uniquely all their own. What this tells me is, the judging community wants corps to take risks, think outside the box. How different, really, were most of the corps shows from years past? Regiment (loved it) thematically though, pretty much the same as 08, 09, 10, & 11. So, what do corps need to do to be (competitively) successful? Well, let’s stick with the Regiment, outside the box thinking here, they need to do a show based on the musical Hair! WHAT? That’s sacrilege! Really?

Hair makes many references to Shakespeare’s plays, especially Romeo & Juliet and Hamlet and, at times, takes lyrical material directly from Shakespeare. For example, the lyrics to the song "What a Piece of Work Is Man" are from Hamlet (II: scene 2) and portions of "Flesh Failures" ("the rest is silence") are from Hamlet's final lines. In "Flesh Failures/Let The Sun Shine In", the lyrics "Eyes, look your last!/ Arms, take your last embrace! And lips, O you/ The doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss" are from Romeo and Juliet (V: iii, 111–14).[/url]<A name=MemBusLending>

So, pick your corps and place them way outside the box and let your imaginations run wild!

RM

I thought that Carolina Crown was pretty good at doing something a bit different from all of the rest of the corps and their show looked pretty innovative. They didn't win, but I liked Carolina Crowns outside the box thinking too and it seems like they been doing such in recent years

Dave Gibbs

Pete Emmons

Scott Chandler

Jay Murphy

Jack Meehan

Scott Johnson

Todd Ryan

Average age?

Many other people who have huge influence on the activity are also middle-aged.

Cesario?

dino.

Hoppy?

dino.

Acheson?

dino.

Where is the youth connection coming from? You do the math.

Actually, it is John Meehan (Jack's son).

By the way, how many of those noted above are in the DCI Hall of Fame?

• Like 1

What does BD's victory mean?

They're gonna have to get a bigger trophy case. :cool:

• Like 4

Dave Gibbs

Pete Emmons

Scott Chandler

Jay Murphy

Jack Meehan

Scott Johnson

Todd Ryan

Average age?

My corps had one of them on staff when I was a MM...the first year of DCI.