What does BDs’ victory really mean?

Simply, it means they designed and performed a show that at every event they were in, the judges found superior to their competition. /thread

I'll concur. It was well-designed and extremely well performed. I'm not loving their choice of themes, but, as I've said multiple times before, the first time I saw this show that it was being performed at a level far above everyone else on the field. Excellence in achievement was no accident.

side rant: If BD wants to go the avant guarde route, please program it a bit better. A show can be more on the intellectual side without being overtly abrasive most of the time. There's something to be said for beauty from simplicity. And for the love of all things holy, please lay off the horrid color palette. Even a blind gay man would say that it's just too ###### loud!

• Like 5

For the record I don't care for the direction BD has gone in the past 4-5 years. I really love the way groups like Crown, Cavies, Cadets and Phantom can take on diverse varieties of shows. That said the best teaching can be defined as a lot of things... That Said BD has been so consistent over so many decades that I feel it's a no brained to say they have the best teaching/talent in the business. They have consistency in every section every year. I don't want to see the type of show they are doing win, but they deserve to. I applaud their organization for having the fortitude to try different things to push boundries. I would still just rather see something more accessible from them but whatever. It is what it is...

Wes P

Brasso I would disagree with you about BK. In their "dark years" they were 7th in 06, 8th in 07, 9th in '08. Placements actually went down in '09 as the transition was made, 2010 they stayed 11th (though the show was a great step forward) and moved to 9th in 2011.

I don't think it tells us anything about what the judges want. It's most definitely not about taking risks or thinking outside the box. Blue Devils' shows the last few years are clever wrappers for technical showcases, but they are as safe as can be. Here's our triple-tongue feature, here's our precision marching, here's our dance, here's our individual demand, here's our ripple toss, here's our unison toss, here's our posturing drum feature, here's our sequential drum solo feature. Here's our pretty brass section, here's our loud swinging brass section, here's our atonal brass section, here's our brass playing spread across the field, here's our unique guard equipment, here's our high-speed brass runs. Nothing is executed more often than necessary to get credit from the judges, but they hit all the de-facto compulsory design elements along the way.

Amazing skill and precision? Yep. Clever and unique designs? Sure. Avoiding drum corps show design cliches? Well, some anyway. But risky? Not in the least.

"Better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

• Like 1

A DCI score is no indication of teaching talent.

I'd agree with this. I submit that the best " teaching of DCI Drum Corps" comes from Corps well below the top echelon Corps as a matter of fact. Its certainly much easier to "teach" a marcher that has spent time in DCI Drum Corps than it is a rookie doing his or her first year on tour doing DCI Drum Corps. And the more rookies coming into Corps for the first time, the more " teaching " must take place on tour. Some Corps that score low in World Class Division have wonderful " teachers ". So its just as you said, " a DCI score is no indication of teaching talent ".

Edited by BRASSO

Brasso I would disagree with you about BK. In their "dark years" they were 7th in 06, 8th in 07, 9th in '08. Placements actually went down in '09 as the transition was made, 2010 they stayed 11th (though the show was a great step forward) and moved to 9th in 2011.

I hear you Wes. But sometimes it takes a year of two of a style to determine effect on the Corps. For example, I believe that if BK does a similar type show as this year next year, that in the offseason of 2013, BK would see a diminuation of camp numbers and overall talent trying out for their Corps. The Madison Scouts fell out of the top 12 not that long ago. They decided to change course and went back and developed a more traditional style... both in retro uniform changes,down to even to the selection of music. It brought them back to life. Crowds favorably responded, camp numbers went up, and their scores went up each season from there. The Troopers however went modern with a non western motif on " Theatre " and their scores quickly headed south in successive seasons. I hope BK decides to adopt the more accessible, fan friendly shows they have had the last 2 seasons that worked very well for them in my opinion.. both audience wise and scoring wise. But thats their decision, and whatever they decide I wish them the best, Wes.

Edited by BRASSO

but is BD really thinking out of the box?

You say Phantom has been the same since 08 and need to change it up. Well, BD has been the same since 2008 too.

I think BDs shows are "the norm" nowadays and are not outside the box. They are just... unique.

I doubt it. We've never had a year where Corps copy the top Corps in hopes of winning. Did BD change up their style after Phantom Regiment won with an understandable " Spartacus " theme in 2008 ? And going back just a bit further, did Phantom Regiment adopt the style of the winning Cadets show " The Zone " ? Was the winning " Spartacus " show and theme anything like the Cadets " The Zone " ? Crown nearly won with " Triple Crown " and this years show. Are these shows anthing at all like The Cavs " The Machine " winning show ? Is BD's " Dada " winning show this season anything at all like the Cadets " Angels and Demons " winning show from last season ?

So no, I have little fear that we'll be seeing ( for example ) Phantom Regiment doing a non classic show because BD won with their style of show this season.

I'm confused by your comment that crown nearly won with their triple crown show. In what universe is 6th place early winning?

• Like 1