What does BDs’ victory really mean?

Blue Devils had the best corps? And, another year of Crown fans complaining that they should have won?

No, that's not it. I would have no problem with Blue Devils winning 4 out of the last 6 years if I actually liked one or two of their championship winning shows. When Cadets were dominating in the 80's I really liked their shows. When the Cavies were dominating in the early 2000's I really liked their shows. I didn't march with any corps so I really don't have a favorite.

With that said, I really really want to like the Blue Devils championship shows from the last 6 years but they all just seem so blah to me. That's why I'm so frustrated with the Blue Devils right now.

• Like 1

From a fan standpoint, I would say that's highly debatable which wasn't the case last year.

Not this fan!

• Like 1

What does it really mean?

It means the dinos are running the table in this game, that's what.

Check out the elders on BD staff:

Dave Gibbs

Pete Emmons

Scott Chandler

Jay Murphy

Jack Meehan

Scott Johnson

Todd Ryan

Average age?

Well, let's just say this geezer marched with a couple of those cats.

And a few of them are older than that.

Many other people who have huge influence on the activity are also middle-aged.

Cesario?

dino.

Hoppy?

dino.

Acheson?

dino.

Where is the youth connection coming from? You do the math.

IMO, this is the guy who really keeps them on top every year. The marching technique that he teaches is unbelievable.

• Like 2

IMO, this is the guy who really keeps them on top every year.

Yep.

He is also one of the nicest, most humble people you'll ever meet.

Todd and Tommy Strachan are why Madison marched so well in '81.

I don't know what happened after I left, but obviously they should have never let him go.

Edited by breezemont

It means BD has the talent and moxie to do anything they want. I was being humorous and not serious minded when I said they could sit on a toilet while juggling, looking in a mirror and playing hula hoop..... All the while playing everything from Burt B to Bird N Bella in Bb. I just think that having superior talent means you can take risks. As does the fact that they've won more titles than anyone the "normal way." They have nothing to prove in the activity and thus there is a no fear attitude in design and performance that exceeds that of any other corps. Til someone has equal talent and teaching they will continue to win with any show.

Wes P

\

BD was incredible in every way, however down the road it will be about Jersey Surf in 2012 memories...

• Like 1

In reality, I think corps should look at this as an opportunity for experimentation. If you look at BD since 2008 - (the initial start of this current trend and only a subpar percussion performance away from 4 straight), 09 was (musically and programming wise) fairly mainstream, 2010 was the a continuation of the state of BD begun in 08, 2011, they tried to incorporate mainstream with their "new" direction and almost pulled it off. This year they were once again successful with a show that was uniquely all their own. What this tells me is, the judging community wants corps to take risks, think outside the box. How different, really, were most of the corps shows from years past? Regiment (loved it) thematically though, pretty much the same as 08, 09, 10, & 11. So, what do corps need to do to be (competitively) successful? Well, let's stick with the Regiment, outside the box thinking here, they need to do a show based on the musical Hair! WHAT? That's sacrilege! Really?

Hair makes many references to Shakespeare's plays, especially Romeo & Juliet and Hamlet and, at times, takes lyrical material directly from Shakespeare. For example, the lyrics to the song "What a Piece of Work Is Man" are from Hamlet (II: scene 2) and portions of "Flesh Failures" ("the rest is silence") are from Hamlet's final lines. In "Flesh Failures/Let The Sun Shine In", the lyrics "Eyes, look your last!/ Arms, take your last embrace! And lips, O you/ The doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss" are from Romeo and Juliet (V: iii, 11114).<A name=MemBusLending>

So, pick your corps and place them way outside the box and let your imaginations run wild!

RM

I don't think it matters whether they go outside the box or mainstream. They have been successful doing both. Just as successful, in fact. Face it. The Blue Devils success is simply because year in and year out, they are the most consistent drum corps in the activity. There is not a more consistent corps or staff anywhere in the activity. That's a fact. The Blue Devils own the activity. There is not another corps in the activity that is more put together than they are (both on AND off the field). Go ahead and red minus me for saying that. I speak the truth.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 9

BD can not do whatever they want. They can only do what BD can do. Avant guard drill design/music and jazz. They cannot do what Cadets, Crown, and Phantom have done. BD does a niche of drumcorps. BD could not pull off a Christmas show, or tell the story of Romeo and Juliet, or Be Superhumans. I think Crown and Cadets are more versatile drum corps. Just look at their themes year to year and styles of music! Uncomparable.

BD can't do a Romeo and Juliet show? They won prelims in 1998 with one and were 0.7 away from winning finals. Does that meet your standard for versatility?

• Like 2

BD can not do whatever they want. They can only do what BD can do. Avant guard drill design/music and jazz. They cannot do what Cadets, Crown, and Phantom have done. BD does a niche of drumcorps. BD could not pull off a Christmas show, or tell the story of Romeo and Juliet, or Be Superhumans. I think Crown and Cadets are more versatile drum corps. Just look at their themes year to year and styles of music! Uncomparable.

And BD does not have the best teachers or designers in drum corps. There are more and equally talented educators in other corps. A DCI score is no indication of teaching talent.

Definition of hater.

• Like 3