Shaun Canon Performance

So, all of you here that thought this performance was so terrible...How many of you boo'ed Star of Indiana in 1993 and then applauded them in 2010? ...maybe you are just slow learners :)

I think the critics here are missing the point. The point of this performance was to get middle school kids excited about music and drum corps. I think that mission was accomplished by DCI. The secondary goal was to have a nice performance for the crowd. I'm sure some people liked it, some didn't, and some were neutral. It was only a 3 minute performance, so if you didn't like it I doubt it ruined your night. Anyone that has ever been to Drum Corps Finals should know that they have a lot of stuff happen before the first corps actually takes the field, so if you don't like that sort of thing you can have one more beer before you head over to finals.

Bands of America does this sort of thing all the time, so this was hardly something that had never been done before. The difference is that Bands of America fans are much more supportive of the students then Drum Corps fans are. I can't imagine a BOA crowd ever boo'ing a performing group or getting on a message board to state how terrible one band was. This group of middle school students practiced together for a day and a half. I have seen many drum corps that practiced the same show for a whole year that were terrible, yet I would never think of boo'ing them or getting on a message board to tell them how terrible they were. I wish the drum corps fans could celebrate the activity more instead of always putting each other down so much. I don't disagree that the vocal and piano were too loud and I am sure that will be addressed if this group performs next year, but that doesn't mean it was a terrible performance.

• Like 1

Shaun Canon is very aware of the comments both positive and negative on this forum. He is a great guy with a huge heart. He truly wants to help fund music education projects at a level DCI has never seen anyone else step forward to do. He asked on Saturday night if there were any drum corps that he could help out with benefit concerts. He asked how he could do more to expose people to the marching arts. He is committed to helping this activity. Why don't we let him?

• Like 4

This was posted on DCI's facebook page...Shaun is here to help the activity. Could your corps or school program use a financial boost?

If you need extra support and funding for your school's music program or drum corps, contact Shaun Canon's manager, Jeff Arcio: USAbooking@liveformusictour.com. Shaun Canon is doing benefit concerts for music programs all across the country, raising 10s of thousands for struggling programs! He also workshops with your students to motivate and inspire them, and give them an opportunity to PERFORM WITH HIM on the big stage. He only has a FEW SLOTS left for his tour, so contact his manager ASAP!

It was silly and uncomfortable. Period.

It was something I didn't see coming and didn't feel like it was appropriate for the setting we were in.

• Like 1

Shaun Canon is very aware of the comments both positive and negative on this forum.

Didn't he get the "Only the Grouchy Dinos go to DCP" memo? Of course posters wont like him on here, he plays on something and sings into to something.... "electronic".

Edited by CloudHype

Shaun Canon is very aware of the comments both positive and negative on this forum. He is a great guy with a huge heart. He truly wants to help fund music education projects at a level DCI has never seen anyone else step forward to do. He asked on Saturday night if there were any drum corps that he could help out with benefit concerts. He asked how he could do more to expose people to the marching arts. He is committed to helping this activity. Why don't we let him?

A lot of this similar discussion took place early June (pre-season) in a topic I posted when I broke the news about his upcoming finals appearance. There were many polarizing views then as well.

Shaun Canon to Perform at DCI Finals

I thought it was downright awful & a shameless self promotion. The sound was balanced so that you couldn't even here the poor band kids playing, and worse, the guy can't reven really sing.

Harvey

If by self-promotion you mean promoting drum corps, you might have a point. No wonder the drum corps fan base is so small. Someone tries to help promote it, and he gets crapped on by a bunch of fans.

Do you honestly think he played at finals in order to sell more of his own records? Give me a break!

Edited by jasgre2000

When you make public donations very little goes to the actual cause. Someone at the top of the chain always takes their cut. If I'm going to donate I'll do it directly to the people affected like a school district etc. I do applaud his efforts but we all know when we "donate" at safeway where a good portion of it actually goes.

I think the point is that some people like his music (not me, personally), and that when they buy the music for their own personal pleasure, he is donating some of the profits (which would normally go into his own pocket for his own personal gratification) and giving it to music programs. Is this really something to criticize? He is a musician, not a charity.

• Like 1

While I appreciate what Shaun Canon was/is attempting to do - it was a shame that we couldn't hear the band kids. I was waiting for them to start and then finally noticed the drummer's hands going and cymbals crashing - then realized they were already playing. I may have actually heard a cymbal once - but I don't recall any other sounds from the kids (was in the 300 section - 45 yard line).

I suppose there was no time to do a sound check before the program.

Shaun Canon is very aware of the comments both positive and negative on this forum. He is a great guy with a huge heart.

Something about the self-promotion of this seems wrong/strange. Shaun Canon is very aware of the comments. So? What is the purpose of that statement? He is a great guy with a huge heart. OK.... so are the parents of just about each and every current and past marching member. And I would be willing to bet that a whole lot of them have given of themselves for the betterment of dci, whether that be their time, talent and/or treasure. And they didn't have surrogates coming on here talking about how great they are. You want to know who the greatest advocates and influencers of youth in the arts are? Their parents. The ones who, when all their peers are quitting band, make their kids stick it out, knowing that the reward will come later, when their kids thank them for "making them" stay in band. Does this ring true to any of you?

Maybe Shaun Canon IS a great guy with a huge heart - I don't know him. I'll assume he is! But I'm not impressed with his public relations people - you come off as arrogant and defensive.

Edited by HockeyDad