Shaun Canon Performance

Well...most of these comments here are pretty ridiculous.

<snip>

For those of you that did not see the performance by Shaun Canon and the INPact band, here it is.

I think most of the comments are pretty honest. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't make them ridiculous. It does make you look bitter however. And thanks for the link - having now viewed the performance, I would have to agree, it was out-of-place, and he drowned out the kids.

• Like 3

Thanks for the link.

I'm not seeing the problem here. I think anything that gets kids playing, interested in music in whatever form they chose, is a good move for everyone. Anyone I've shown Shaun Canon's video thought it was great and we will be playing it at our upcoming open house. If the video pulls a few more kids to marching music, the down side is - where exactly?

• Like 6

When you make public donations very little goes to the actual cause. Someone at the top of the chain always takes their cut. If I'm going to donate I'll do it directly to the people affected like a school district etc. I do applaud his efforts but we all know when we "donate" at safeway where a good portion of it actually goes.

Isn't 50% of something better than 0% of something?

• Like 7

Well...most of these comments here are pretty ridiculous.

I got up at 4am the day of semi finals to drive 10 of my students up to participate in this band on my last free day before I started school. I passed up a free ticket to sit in a suite for semi finals so 9 of my students could experience drum corps for the first time. The 10th student was my daughter who has seen a lot of drum corps.

During class today I asked all of my students if they had enjoyed their drum corps weekend, and they all said yes. This rarely happens in middle school. They all wore Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, and Carolina Crown gear to the first day of school. Most of their parents, brothers and sisters came to watch them, most of who were seeing drum corps for the first time. My school superintendent came to experience drum corps as well and loved it. There were 265 students in the INPact Band, most of who brought their parents, brothers, sisters, grandma, and grandpa. I would estimate that because of the INPact band, there were 700-800 more people at finals that would have not gone before and had never seen drum corps before.

Shaun Canon is a very good singer. If you think otherwise, then I really question your knowledge of music. How many artists do you know that actively promote music education, give money to music education, and make video consisting of high school marching bands, music programs, and drum corps. Personally I don't know of any to ever do anything like this. After our rehearsal Shaun stayed for quite a long time signing autographs for any kid in the band that wanted one. He told the students how he had played clarinet in his high school marching band and encourage them to stay in music. Yet, the comments posted in this thread are "kind of a bust", "the guy can't even really sing", "awkward", "downright awful". Gee, I bet every singer across the country was lined up at DCI Headquarters on Monday to sign up to sing for free at Drum Corps International World Finals next year.

The funniest comments posted were that it was silly to talk about supporting music education at a place where everyone is for music education. Really? Where might I ask should music education be promoted then? Maybe in a prison to death row inmates? As a music educator I think supporting music education needs to be promoted everywhere.

In 1985 as a college freshman I begged my parents to let me audition for the Star of Indiana. My Dad said no. I needed to work in the summer to make money for college. Drum corps was just me wanting to get out of working all summer. That summer I drug my Dad to see a drum corps show in Bloomington, IN After that show I begged him just to let me march one year, and he agreed. I have never been the same person since. I bet there were a lot of people that were up in the stands on Saturday that were just like my Dad.

For those of you that did not see the performance by Shaun Canon and the INPact band, here it is.

It was awkward. It was sort of a bust (performance wise).

People were there to watch drum corps... sitting in a seat, clapping, yelling when appropriate, etc. Not to stand up, jump around, scream, etc. It was a concert in a non concert setting. People were uncomfortable during the performance because thats not why we were there.

It was awkward. It was sort of a bust (performance wise).

People were there to watch drum corps... sitting in a seat, clapping, yelling when appropriate, etc. Not to stand up, jump around, scream, etc. It was a concert in a non concert setting. People were uncomfortable during the performance because thats not why we were there.

I wasn't there to feel the vibe like you were, but I would be very surprised if a drum corps crowd wouldn't be able to make a connection with kids, music, and a football field.

Great point! I also suspect the kids, who likely were being introduced to drum corps, ran around to buy a number of t-shirts as well from corps. Does anyone know someone from a corps' souvie sales who can comment on seeing a bunch of INpact kids showing up in the souvie area?

Yep---I was one of 4 working in the Colts booth from gates open until the end of the first intermission. Lots of kids in INpact shirts (And lots of others too). The kids all seemed very happy and excited, had bags of free stuff from the music vendors, and had bags of shirts and other things from various corps. We sold a bunch of general things like drumsticks, dogtags, and shirts to the kids, and a few signed up for information on the corps (It might have helped that we had some 12-13 year old Colt Cadets helping out too!)

I am sure some of these kids are now driving parents nuts spinning stuff and banging drumsticks on every available surface, and hopefully telling all their friends about it. :thumbup:

• Like 2