Did Surf get it right?

Not looking to have more corps do Surfs type of show. Just looking to see if it would be more entertaining for a corps to do more recognizable music , likes Surfs show, or more DADA type of music like BD?

I read a lot of posts stating that they wished more shows were done with music they recognized. Doesnt have to be stuff played in the past. There is plenty of recognizable music out there. Just wondering if some corps went in that direction, would the activity become a little more appealing.

One of the objectives of drum corps is to educate. Obviously, that applies primarily to the members but I've learned about new music from attending shows as well. Some I enjoyed, some not so much. Other than Nessun Dorma, I didn't recognize any of the music from Turandot because I'm not an opera fan. That doesn't mean I didn't appreciate the show. How many of us were familiar with "Strawberry Soup" or "Niner Two" or various Holsinger works before hearing them performed by drum corps?

Besides, playing recognizable music for the sake of being recognizable is overrated. As much as I love Firebird, for instance, I wasn't a big fan of BK's adaptation (Or that of Cavies 15+ years ago.) Even BD's show, ironically enough, had quite a bit of recognizable music for drum corps fans. They've played some of it before. The music was fine, though I could have lived without the underlying narration.

Perhaps the better question is do you care about overly conceptual shows, regardless of what the music is? If I remember my Latin, and I'm sure I don't, "sit musica loqui sibi." Let the music speak for itself.

• Like 1

With the exception of Blue Knights, I don't mind if ANY corps does a show like Surf's...as long as they play more or less complete songs like Surf did. Snippets won't cut it.

For BK, however, I hope they stay away from such shows. I'd rather see more complex and creative shows such as Avian. As long as they play more or less complete songs...like they did with Avian.

Will be interesting to see which direction surf will go next season... more bridgemen, more tributes, more comedy etc.

1) I loved Surf's show this year. It made me smile more than any show in recent memory. Some of my emotions were definitely tied to my youth, when Bridgemen were at the top of their game.

2) I don't not want to see everyone else go this route. This was essentially a throwback show.

3) I don't think people should have expectations that this type of show could score or place much higher. Things were very different back when Bridgemen and VK were placing high in finals. Among other things, they had some top-notch talent. But no matter where Surf places, if they can come close to connecting with the audience even close to how they did this year, they will once again be fan favorites.

4) Suggested show material for consideration: 1712 Overture by PDQ Bach. This would be a perfect fit!

I loved Surf's show but one corps doing that kind of thing is enough. IMHO, I don't want to see more corps doing the clown prince thing any more than I want to see all classical or all jazz shows. I like the diversity of the entertainment, even if I don't love every show.

In the 80's, I loved watching VK but when they left the field I usually enjoyed the next corps, albeit in a different way. Seeing every corps playing old school rehashes would get tired.

I'm with you; I wouldn't say I loved Surf's show (it didn't do much for me, but I guess that's at least partly because it was pretty dirty execution-wise). I also really like the diversity of show designs in DCI currently, even if that means the cleanest & most sophisticated show wins out over a dirtier fan favorite.

• Like 1

Considering most DC fans take of Surfs show this year, could easily have been the most entertaining show this year, should more corps go the way Surf did? Yes, I know there are those who wished the show was a lot cleaner, but for pure entertainment, I believe Surf did a great job entertaining the fans this year.

Would fans like to [be] entertained with a modernized version of old school or a vague idea of a show that is performed to perfection?

After telling your readers that Surf was the most entertaining corps of the summer, you then ask: would you prefer to be entertained by a fun(!) show that reminds you of the good old days (like Surf's), or have to sit through a boring show that no one understands (like Blue Devils/Cavaliers)?

Is it a "leading" question or "loaded" question - or both? In any case, it sounds like you've made up our minds for us.

Fred O.