Why did that corps play THAT SHOW?

I'm going to take this as shows that seem very uncharacteristic of a corps::

2004 Cadets (Jethro Tull)

1995 Crossmen (School for Scandal)

1993 Vanguard (Walton)

1996 Vangaurd (La Mer)

2007 Cavaliers (Billy Joel)

2001 Boston (Harmonium)

I actually liked the Billy Joel show. My wife, who is not biggest drum corps fan, really liked that show. Of course, she is a big Billy Joel fan.

I'm going to take this as shows that seem very uncharacteristic of a corps::

2004 Cadets (Jethro Tull)

1995 Crossmen (School for Scandal)

1993 Vanguard (Walton)

1996 Vangaurd (La Mer)

2007 Cavaliers (Billy Joel)

2001 Boston (Harmonium)

I thought it was. It wasn't clean at all, but I could see a clear projection from 2000 to 2001 (kind of like a Spain to Africa thing).

My biggest confusion with the Cavies Billy Joel show is that it didn't even use his most popular song, Piano Man. Wasn't really surprised by the source material initially b/c of 007.

Edited by c.l.

Cadets 2007 - just not my cup of tea.

Cavies 2012 - just too disjointed.

Freelancers- 1985

The music was good...it was the visual program that was such a head-scratcher for me.

And I was going to post earlier....but Marwan beat me to Suncoast 87....first one I thought of!

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but I'll throw out 93 BK.

I have a problem when corps play music that my daughters marching band played while in the stands during a football game, either my daughters band is REALLY good, or the drum corps picked some EASY music.......I think the second is the answer.....

• Like 2

Yowza Yowza Yowza

A-freaking-men. I don't know what they were thinking with that show, but good LORD was that obnoxious.

• Like 2

Crown 2006 - Not sure why this show was necessary.

Blue Knights 2012 - Good drumline and visual, but let's face it...we will not miss this show

Cavies 2012 - or this one. Staff should be fired after this show.

BD 2005 - A let down all the way around

Cadets 2006

Crown 2010 - I don't really think anyone got the point of this show.

For this show, you either love it or you hate it. I don't think there's that many lukewarm people for BK 2012.

Please do not confuse my picks below with "dislike." These are just the shows that come to mind when I think of significant stylistic shifts at the time.

Phantom 2004 - Phantom with Latin music seemed a bit odd to me at the time.

Cadets 2005 - Became one of my favorite shows of all time. I just remember seeing them in 2005 and thinking "this is REALLY not like the Cadets..."

Blue Devils 2005 - Yowza...

Boston 2006 - Slightly minimalistic and lesser-known music for a corps that has enjoyed most of their success in the 2000s playing more audience-friendly well known literature. I did enjoy this show, though I didn't think Boston would be the ones to do it.

Cavies 2007 - Hearing them play a show entirely made of popular music was strange to me at the time.

Crossmen 2007-2009 - Aaron Guidry's arrangements for a Drum Corps with a strong existing identity.

Boston 2008 - same effect as 2006 for me (sans "minimalistic").

I LOVE that show. I guess it being in between two really big Cavies staples gave it that appeal. The Cavaliers show (besides 2009) that makes me wonder is their 2009 show, Great Divide. Great moments and writing, but it seemed very "un-Cavalier".

Please do not confuse my picks below with "dislike." These are just the shows that come to mind when I think of significant stylistic shifts at the time.

Phantom 2004 - Phantom with Latin music seemed a bit odd to me at the time.

My issue with Phantom 2004 wasn't because of the music, it was the visual. Their guard outfits looked like they came from the bargain bin at Pepe Ganga and the drill was really basic.

Does anyone remember the tall mirrored "shields" they used in the percussion feature at the beginning of the season? They never made it to finals (Thank Goodness).

Watch Phantom 2004 and then Phantom 2005 to see the incredible change in drill Jamey Thompson brought to Phantom.