Cadet's show converted me

You know, I did miss that. I was in such a state because there was a 2012 drum corps playing an entire performance of music I actually recognized that I wasn't myself. I was all verklempt. I'll look for it in the dvds.

Don't feel bad about missing it. Someone missed my smiley face.

• Like 1

I find it humorous that so much great music was written directly for the church and those songs are not considered offensive. I guess Bach is the best example of this.

"Because if they didn't it was off with your head"

-Frank Zappa

I find it funny that those who seem to think they're the most open-minded and "inclusive" are also at the front of the line to claim something offends them. Seems like a contradiction.

I find this comment most interesting, as it is buried in a post about religious inclusiveness and yet it seems to be an implied dig at the non-religious. You also keep commenting about people finding the show offensive... which not a single person in the entire thread has ever said. Indeed, only one post (from the OP) suggest that people MIGHT be offended by this show. Most of the thread's semi-serious discussion has been a debate about the inclusion of religious motifs that are only tangentially applicable to the modern christmas holiday. Yet you seem to be bristling that it is even being discussed. Not condemning, just observing. Perhaps I'm reading too much into your posts.

Personally, I don't believe in the concept of "being offended." As I've seen floating around the web recently, saying "I'm offended" basically means "I can't control my emotions, so you need to adapt to suit me." So no, I certainly didn't find the Cadets show offensive... just a little cheesy. I thought it was so heavy on the symbolism as to border on overkill.

Interestingly, I still vividly remember some VERY disparaging remarks I heard in the stands during performances of the Blue Devils' 1995 show. There certainly was not a spirit of inclusiveness and camaraderie coming from some of the religious members of the audience that season. Perhaps we, as a society, have gotten better since then. Perhaps not.

• Like 3

So, Cadets follow it up next year with a "Book of Mormon" show? It's sure lighting up Broadway right now, and it's coming out west next month.

I wonder if any corps would be ballsy enough to do a show based on that musical?

• Like 1

So, Cadets follow it up next year with a "Book of Mormon" show? It's sure lighting up Broadway right now, and it's coming out west next month.

I wonder if any corps would be ballsy enough to do a show based on that musical?

I hope not. It is an extremely offensive show.

• Like 2

I hope not. It is an extremely offensive show.

Really? Have you gone to see it live? It's supposed to be a satire and a parody, so it's supposed to be funny and edgy. It's the people that created South Park, so lots of the stuff was put in to be controversial. But there's some great music in it, and I find it extremely funny.

I find this comment most interesting, as it is buried in a post about religious inclusiveness and yet it seems to be an implied dig at the non-religious. You also keep commenting about people finding the show offensive... which not a single person in the entire thread has ever said. Indeed, only one post (from the OP) suggest that people MIGHT be offended by this show. Most of the thread's semi-serious discussion has been a debate about the inclusion of religious motifs that are only tangentially applicable to the modern christmas holiday. Yet you seem to be bristling that it is even being discussed. Not condemning, just observing. Perhaps I'm reading too much into your posts.

Actually I think that suggestion was made both explictly and implictly in this thread and HockeyDad referenced the matter fairly with dignity and class, and is not deserving of this description.

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 4

Really? Have you gone to see it live? It's supposed to be a satire and a parody, so it's supposed to be funny and edgy. It's the people that created South Park, so lots of the stuff was put in to be controversial. But there's some great music in it, and I find it extremely funny.

I would say the discussion of the merits of the play is clearly off topic and heads off in a direction that would likely elicit comments worthy of getting the thread blocked according to the rules described earlier. Let's stay on topic.

As to whether a corps would actually do the play anytime soon; of course not - it's too controversial (regardless of whether it should be). A corps might do a Darwin show, though. Or some kind of Spirit of Wonder theme with science-y things happening. Those shows could not reasonably be construed as making fun of or expressing overtly critical opinions of somebody's worldview. That's the difference.

I would say the discussion of the merits of the play is clearly off topic and heads off in a direction that would likely elicit comments worthy of getting the thread blocked according to the rules described earlier. Let's stay on topic.

As to whether a corps would actually do the play anytime soon; of course not - it's too controversial (regardless of whether it should be). A corps might do a Darwin show, though. Or some kind of Spirit of Wonder theme with science-y things happening. Those shows could not reasonably be construed as making fun of or expressing overtly critical opinions of somebody's worldview. That's the difference.

But a corps could do the music, like Dutch Boy did in 2006 with "South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut." I will not forget that because I had to write the TEP program books press release, which stated, in part, <The corps isn’t portraying the movie…they’re just having fun with the oft-wacky music.> But the main reason I remember it is I had to employ asterisks when I got to writing about the drum feature, which was about engaging in an activity with a relative.

• Like 2