Can they do THAT in DCI?

Actually, they started the season with Ben (the DM) actually playing a trumpet on the podium. They switched to a faux heralding trumpet, then finally the plastic trombone, after they moved the part to the synth. I read on their FB page that they could not play from the podium (or maybe read that here... I don't know).

Disclaimer: I by no means claim to be an expert on DCI rules...

Interesting. I'm just wondering if it's a rule or not, because I think it in 2010, Pioneer had their drum major do a mellophone solo from the podium. Does anyone else remember this happening?

Considering that corps have played from tunnels and cross the sideline, I see no reason that they couldn't play from the podium.

Perhaps they couldn't do it because it didn't work for them?

Otherwise, It just seems like a strange rule considering Phantom's Into the Light Show and Santa Clara's Carmen show...

1978 Blue Stars. The show opened with a soprano solo from the DM podium. And Tambourine.

Regarding the Surf podium playing issue, we were told during the course of the season that multiple staffs had complained to DCI regarding Ben playing from the podium. Eventually, we were given a warning to stop playing on the podium or else face severe penalties for A) Playing on the podium, which leads me to think that there IS a rule against it now, and B) for playing in front of the front boundary line, which Surf had been remembered for doing way back in 04.

So that was that, and Ben wasn't allowed to play on the podium anymore... Didn't stop him though at one of the late-season shows (it was either Salem or West Chester) when there was a problem with the synth, and Ben went all "#### the torpedoes" on the rules book. Everyone was stoked because we got a high score that night and thought that it included expected penalty. It turns out the judges were too busy enjoying the show to notice.

Oh, and BTW, I personally loved and preferred Ben's disintegrating P-bone to the trumpets. The first time he did it in rehearsal, we had to pause the run-through because the entire corps and staff cracked up. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

To what degree can the audience participate? Like, SCV yell - could there be a call-and-response with the audience

Maybe in their 75th year in 2015, the BAC will end with a very good version of Conquest and finish by having the audience (who received the words/music from the corps web-site or handouts as they entered stadiums beginning at Allentown or sooner.) sing Giant along with the corps.

Edited by Ghost

this is one of my favorite shows... that had to be faked. Chances someone in the guard can play like that has to be basically zero.

I always figured it was faked, but you never know. They could have just taught the person to play just one note on soprano, stranger things have happened.

That's such a great show. The impact going into the closer is ear-bleedingly loud

this is one of my favorite shows... that had to be faked. Chances someone in the guard can play like that has to be basically zero.

Not necessarily. There was a guy in BD's 04 guard who'd played mello the previous year (don't know if it was for BD, tho)

As for number of certain instruments, I also recall the 1988 Bluecoats entire percussion section picking up snares. It blew me away at the time because like the title says, I wondered "Can they DO THAT in DCI?"

As some have said, no playing instruments from the podium. Surf was almost penalized for it and thats why they had to slightly alter that aspect of their show. Apparently trumpets from the synth are better than trumpets from the podiumhuh.gif