Troopers 2013

Anytime your staff includes Bon Jovi song in the repertoire, it's time to clean house.

They really only had Bon Jovi at the beginning of the show, some quotes in the opener, the company front (which was actually very cool), and the end.

Other than that they didn't really play Bon Jovi that much during that show.

They really only had Bon Jovi at the beginning of the show, some quotes in the opener, the company front (which was actually very cool), and the end.

Other than that they didn't really play Bon Jovi that much during that show.

I admire your attempt to justify ANY Bon Jovi in any show.

bonjovi.jpg

• Like 1

I admire your attempt to justify ANY Bon Jovi in any show.

bonjovi.jpg

I admire your attempt at selective parsing of your values, Granny.

Robert Smith was involved in programming Madison's 2011 show. DVD was there as well. The show contained a song by a noted drug dealer with a past in gang warfare. A man who shot his own brother for stealing a ring from him.

This OK by you?

(BTW - it is OK by me. But then again, so is John Bon Jovi ... if programmed properly.)

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

I admire your attempt at selective parsing of your values, Granny.

Robert Smith was involved in programming Madison's 2011 show. DVD was there as well. The show contained a song by a noted drug dealer with a past in gang warfare. A man who shot his own brother for stealing a ring from him.

This OK by you?

(BTW - it is OK by me. But then again, so is John Bon Jovi ... if programmed properly.)

Oh...do you think I have issues with drugs and gang warfare? Not at all. Everybody here in the home loves drugs and we're all part of some gang. I happen to belong to the Quilts and our colors are many.

I feel like I'm being called out, so let me just admit that I was always jealous of BJ's hair (and to avoid rumors, it's the hair on his head that I was jealous of).

• Like 4

Oh...do you think I have issues with drugs and gang warfare? Not at all. Everybody here in the home loves drugs and we're all part of some gang. I happen to belong to the Quilts and our colors are many.

I feel like I'm being called out, so let me just admit that I was always jealous of BJ's hair (and to avoid rumors, it's the hair on his head that I was jealous of).

Tough, but fair. That's what I like about Granny.

• Like 2

Also, in case I'm being misunderstood, I have the utmost respect for one of the greatest teams the Troopers had ever assembled...although I would have much rather they chose Paul Anka over Bon Jovi.

• Like 1

The Troopers face a unique challenge in drum corps today. They have to maintain their identity which is tied to a look and geographic region while still being competitive. They have to be the Troopers we all remember while at the same time be something totally original. If 27th Lancers and Kilties were still in existence today, they would probably face similar challenges. While there are other corps that face the difficulty of being traditional in a contemporary The Troopers face a unique challenge in drum corps today. They have to maintain their identity which is tied to a look and geographic region while still being competitive. They have to be the Troopers we all remember while at the same time be something totally original. If 27th Lancers and Kilties were still in existence today, they would probably face similar challenges. While there are other corps that face the difficulty of being traditional in a contemporary competitive environment, namely Boston Crusaders and Madison Scouts, they have more flexibility in show styles.

Last season the Troopers took quite a bit of criticism and while I will agree that the show's theme and music did not quite fit, it was not the debacle that many people claimed, at least I didn't think so. They did survive prelims and they topped the four corps who moved up from Open Class. While Troopers placed lower than in the past few seasons, this past season was different. 13-20 was more competitive this year. Pacific Crest was stronger this year, Jersey Surf stole the show, the Colts were underrated, and Glassmen and The Academy made great strides as the season progressed and Crossmen made it clear they were not going to be in the 13-20 grouping at the end of the season and competed with this attitude. Yet as we look to next year, Crossmen may be the corps to keep in mind when evaluating the Troopers. Crossmen found themsleves in 17th in 2011. People began predicting that good things were going to happen for Crossmen in the new year. There were those who said it was only wishful thinking from Crossmen fans but they had the right show, the right people involved, and a grit and determination we haven't seen in years. It's no wonder that when they performed at semi's last August, people knew from the first chords that they would do it and were in tears at the end of the show, but it took the entire season for this to happen. Will we see a repeat of this next yaer with the Troopers?

Just a few other notes. If anyone from the Troopers is reading this post, even with new drill designs the sunburst will still work and the audience will go wild. Also, for anyone involved with scheduling, a tour that includes the Troopers coming to the Boston area is long overdue!

I decided about a week ago to audition for Troop, these are really exciting me. :)

DCP readers will no doubt miss your insights and enthusiasm next summer, but if you have the chance to wear blue and gold and compete across the country, take it.

• Like 2

Yes, BUT... why was there a staff exodus after 2009? Some went on to greener pastures (e.g., brass caption head to Cavies). Some of the designers moved on as well. They had an all-star staff that left after the finals year. Not sure if it was a money thing, but I'd hate to see the corps "go for broke" for a great year then see everything go downhill again. The staff that is being compiled looks great - I hope they can sustain (afford) it. (remember Magic in 2002...)

yes the magic thing was a mess..especially for those trying to save the corps after that year....I believe 1 of the players ( management ) from those MAgic days has been involved with troopers the past 2 or 3 years.in some capacity..:lookaround: .but a hot staff for fleeting success..( then cant keep up with whats promised ) can destroy not only a reputation but a corps.......... :blink:...Troopers need to be around especially because of the rich history in our activity.........good luck troopers

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Also, in case I'm being misunderstood, I have the utmost respect for one of the greatest teams the Troopers had ever assembled.

The Troopers are uniquely positioned to pull of themes that other Corps would have supreme challenges with. Its much easier for The Troopers for example to do an Americana, early West motif themed show than ( say )Phantom Regiment, Boston Crusaders, Cavaliers, Crossmen, Spirit of Atlanta, Mandarins, etc. Additionally, there are mountains of music that would fit their ethos, style, etc. They might have logistical issues perhaps in recruitment, but there seems no excuse that in the future that The Troopers can't find a show theme, music that'll work for them in this day and age. All they need is the right desiign staff with the creative acumen to make such appropriate themes work for them, thats all. Those themes, music are out there for the taking... and the Troopers are the appropriate Corps to pull it off too, imo. I think Smith has the creative ideas in his head to bring this to fruition too, but we'll just have to see.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1