Troopers 2013

I may be in the minority here, but I actually really liked the Troopers music this past season and thought the brass was not a problem at all. I do think that they suffered from a problem that, quite frankly, I felt numerous corps suffered from this past season: questionable (at best) concepts/visual programming. The music on its own terms was very solid (albeit not necessarily the most in-your-face or "western" type show that people may want). But, when the music was placed in the context of the overall concept or theme for the show, it just didn't make sense and made it virtually impossible for the music to be effective. So, while cleaning house as a way of reloading the Troopers program may very well be a great move, I do not think it fair to attack the music (at least the brass) on its own from last season.

• Like 2

I do not think it fair to attack the music (at least the brass) on its own from last season.

It appears the DCI judges would disagree however. In the Semi's, The Troopers finished 17th in Music Analysis, and their Brass line finished 18th. For a Corps that made it into the Finals as recently as 3 years ago, this is simply not going to cut it.

Edited by BRASSO

Anytime your staff includes Bon Jovi song in the repertoire, it's time to clean house.

:worthy:

Kilties, BITD, played Roll Over Beethoven and Roundabout....How traditional is that? LOL

The Troopers face a unique challenge in drum corps today. They have to maintain their identity which is tied to a look and geographic region while still being competitive. They have to be the Troopers we all remember while at the same time be something totally original. If 27th Lancers and Kilties were still in existence today, they would probably face similar challenges. While there are other corps that face the difficulty of being traditional in a contemporary The Troopers face a unique challenge in drum corps today. They have to maintain their identity which is tied to a look and geographic region while still being competitive. They have to be the Troopers we all remember while at the same time be something totally original. If 27th Lancers and Kilties were still in existence today, they would probably face similar challenges. While there are other corps that face the difficulty of being traditional in a contemporary competitive environment, namely Boston Crusaders and Madison Scouts, they have more flexibility in show styles.

Last season the Troopers took quite a bit of criticism and while I will agree that the show's theme and music did not quite fit, it was not the debacle that many people claimed, at least I didn't think so. They did survive prelims and they topped the four corps who moved up from Open Class. While Troopers placed lower than in the past few seasons, this past season was different. 13-20 was more competitive this year. Pacific Crest was stronger this year, Jersey Surf stole the show, the Colts were underrated, and Glassmen and The Academy made great strides as the season progressed and Crossmen made it clear they were not going to be in the 13-20 grouping at the end of the season and competed with this attitude. Yet as we look to next year, Crossmen may be the corps to keep in mind when evaluating the Troopers. Crossmen found themsleves in 17th in 2011. People began predicting that good things were going to happen for Crossmen in the new year. There were those who said it was only wishful thinking from Crossmen fans but they had the right show, the right people involved, and a grit and determination we haven't seen in years. It's no wonder that when they performed at semi's last August, people knew from the first chords that they would do it and were in tears at the end of the show, but it took the entire season for this to happen. Will we see a repeat of this next yaer with the Troopers?

Just a few other notes. If anyone from the Troopers is reading this post, even with new drill designs the sunburst will still work and the audience will go wild. Also, for anyone involved with scheduling, a tour that includes the Troopers coming to the Boston area is long overdue!

For the record, I don't believe that their show this past year really strayed too far from the base values of the Troopers. America's Corps playing arguably the most influential American composer's music doesn't stray far from the homeland, in my mind. I understand it didn't work. But I still think there was an effort to maintain the history while trying to take the corps in a new direction.

• Like 2

For the record, I don't believe that their show this past year really strayed too far from the base values of the Troopers. America's Corps playing arguably the most influential American composer's music doesn't stray far from the homeland, in my mind. I understand it didn't work. But I still think there was an effort to maintain the history while trying to take the corps in a new direction.

I concur: the design left something to be desired, but it was well within the sphere of their identity.

Also, for anyone involved with scheduling, a tour that includes the Troopers coming to the Boston area is long overdue!

My understanding is that the Troopers have been asked to participate in the shows in Canada next year. Thus putting them in the New England area for the 4th of July festivities (i.e. Bristol parade). However, they do need to show good PR by going back to Casper/Cheyenne/Denver to do the home shows. So there might be a scheduling conflict. But stay tuned. If there is any group that can haul ### from one coast to another it would be team Troop.

I believe 1 of the players ( management ) from those MAgic days has been involved with troopers the past 2 or 3 years.in some capacity.

That is correct. The current assistant director for Troop was heavily involved with bringing Magic to where they were in 2002. The main difference between Magic and Troop is money. Troop has it and is currently sustaining it, while Magic ran out. Magic bought the staff in 2002. Colin McNutt for percussion? Gino Cipriani for brass? Jeff Sactig writing the drill? So Troop could easily buy a staff, which as you have seen they are starting to do. Money talks and bulls**t walks.

Edited by ma24le

I'm excited brass-wise for this year, definitely.

I just hope the visual team is up to par... I don't want Troop to look like Madison. Take that however you will, but the visual team (not design) was probably the best/most consistent part of the corps for the last five years.

• Like 1

I'm excited brass-wise for this year, definitely.

I just hope the visual team is up to par... I don't want Troop to look like Madison. Take that however you will, but the visual team (not design) was probably the best/most consistent part of the corps for the last five years.

No doubt, Troopers were one of the corps I liked watching march because their technique was more consistent than other corps around them.

My understanding is that the Troopers have been asked to participate in the shows in Canada next year. Thus putting them in the New England area for the 4th of July festivities (i.e. Bristol parade). However, they do need to show good PR by going back to Casper/Cheyenne/Denver to do the home shows. So there might be a scheduling conflict. But stay tuned. If there is any group that can haul ### from one coast to another it would be team Troop.

I'd love to see them in Bristol for July 4th--always a great show and an even better parade If the CYO Nationals Tribute is the follwoing day, believe me Troopers will get an ovation like no other. That being said, after seeing the genuine heart and effort of Blue Saints and Les Stentors in Indy, and knowing the great effort it took these corps to travel last summer, and how both corps hope to be part of a revival of drum corps in Canada, if the Troopers forgo New England and head to Canada, that's worthwhile too since having shows in Canada may help the efforts to revive drum corps in Canada. They'll just have to put New England on the tour in 2014.

Edited by Tim K