If Crown wants to win.,,,,,,,

ohbaby

My advice to crown would be 2 fold.... drum better and make your drill just little easier so it can be cleaned to the nth degree in time for finals night.

Do that and they might just take gold.

PS. Don't ask me how they do that, that would be why I'm not a corps director.

• Like 1

My advice to crown would be 2 fold.... drum better and make your drill just little easier so it can be cleaned to the nth degree in time for finals night.

I don't know... I would rather them have a hard, entertaining drill than an easier one just so they can win finals. It's not all about the gold, but about crowd entertainment as well.

• Like 2

My how the mighty have fallen!!! Through most of the summer Crown seemed poised to win and critics claimed DCP was slanted in favor of Crown against Blue Devils. Things have changed a bit.

I wanted to see Crown win last year, and I thought they should have won Allentown and semi's. It didn't happen and it's not as if they placed second to an unworthy corps.

I have thought that Crown relies too heavily on its horn line in the past, though it was less so this past year. I thought the drum line was enjoyable to watch and they were heavily invested in the show, but percussion people I know seemed in agreement that while Crown used their percussion section well visually, this matters little as far as music is concerned. They also seemed in agreement that Crown had the talent and good staff people, but the pieces didn't quite come together. This is fixable and some off season planning should solve this problem.

If I could give Crown some advice, I would suggest focusing on personal best and not focusing so much on winning. In East Rutherford, Crown did a scaled down version of their show--no judges just admiring fans and it was electric. A few days later in prelims they were great, but the show had moments that felt on edge. The same was true in finals. I can imagine the pressure of finals, combined with a desire to outdo Blue Devils with a late season Phantom ready to roar and a Cadets who could easily have learned there really is a Santa and taking home at least a medal must have been immense, but a few missteps and a few missed notes which did not happen just a week earlier seemed to be a case of jitters. This again is something that can be solved. Olympians often say they compete against themselves and from what I can see, the Blue Devils feel they compete against themselves, perhaps this would work for Crown as well.

Also, Crown may have to wait until 2014 for a title. Blue Devils are great at repeats, but they have yet to "threepeat."

• Like 3

FACT: CAROLINA CROWN HAS DONE THE WHAT OTHERS COULD NEVER DO!!!

THE MEDIAN AGE OF CAROLINA CROWN IS STILL FAR BELOW THEIR LEADING RIVAL BD BUT STILL CAN HOLD THEIR OWN...

THE LEVEL OF EDUCATION THAT CROWN RECEIVES IS FAIRLY UNMATCHED AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED...

DRUM CORPS US MORE THAN JUST WINNING... THESE YOUNG PERFORMERS ARE STUDENTS RECEIVING AN EDUCATION!!!

CROWN NEEDS TO CHANGE VERY LITTLE!!!!

THE ONLY MAJOR CHANGE NEEDED IS MORE VIRGINIA BEACH PERFORMANCES....LOL

First, turn off caps lock. Nobody wants to read your internet shouting. Second, why are you replying to me? I'm not advocating any staff changes. I'm simply pointing out who their existing staff is, and what their roles are.

• Like 1

When I read this first statement I thought you were saying they should fold, not that your advice was Two Fold.

• Like 5

I don't know... I would rather them have a hard, entertaining drill than an easier one just so they can win finals. It's not all about the gold, but about crowd entertainment as well.

Not easy drill, a show design with drill that's easier to clean.

Their drill was amazing to watch but even to my untrained eye (spent all my marching years in the pit facing forward) could see that on occasion they just weren't making the straight lines in their forms... purely due to the speed an difficulty of their marching.

Honestly - I didn't think Crown's drumline was bad. They were 6th behind some fantastic lines. No shame in that.

• Like 7

Hey, dude...I'm 56; but I can still rock down with the kiddies. And, despite being a percussionist, I can hear that mosquito ringtone that no one over the age of Ryan Seacrest should be able to hear. Now get off my lawn!

Was a few months shy of 65 this Spring when the buzz arrived. I had the pleasure of directing a 40+ hornline and 12 member drumline. With the size of todays sections, I'm shocked to see the number of DM's and any corps/staff member who does not wear ear plugs. It's required in some sections, but should be mandatory for anyone on the field. Hell, I wear them if sitting in a small stadium.