What if DCI judges acted like NFL referees?

Fun topic. Unless DCI judges suddenly form a union, though, this discussion will be purely hypothetical.

I think if the current DCI judges actually went on strike, replacement judges would be obtained so that the DCI season could proceed. There should be enough capable people available, as there are dozens of marching band and winter guard/percussion circuits.

With an entire set of new faces and fresh opinions, early-season contest results in the strike season would have a few surprises. Results would not be as predictably consistent from night to night. Inevitably, whichever groups feel wronged by those outcomes would start complaining - and by that, I do not mean complaining here on DCP. They would complain through official channels, lobby to remove judges that deviate from the norm, and put pressure on leadership to provide consistency, just as corps staffs have been doing for the past 30-40 years. In all likelihood, the DCI judging administrator (even if he is a strike replacement himself) will feel compelled to respond to the demands of the corps (his employers), and pass that message along to the judges in a variety of ways. Not sure exactly how quickly the process would happen, but I would expect that by the start of the following season, the "problems" would be "fixed", and judging would once again have that familiar "consistency" (slotting) expected from DCI.

That first season sure would be fun, though.

• Like 1

Hmm, well if DCI had instant replay I dare say some champions may not have won.

Edited by Mello Dude

Hmm, well if DCI had instant replay I dare say some champions may not have won.

Suddenly had a vision of GH throwing the challenge flag when he saw no hashmarks on the field.... :tongue:

Fun topic. Unless DCI judges suddenly form a union, though, this discussion will be purely hypothetical.

I think if the current DCI judges actually went on strike, replacement judges would be obtained so that the DCI season could proceed. There should be enough capable people available, as there are dozens of marching band and winter guard/percussion circuits.

With an entire set of new faces and fresh opinions, early-season contest results in the strike season would have a few surprises. Results would not be as predictably consistent from night to night. Inevitably, whichever groups feel wronged by those outcomes would start complaining - and by that, I do not mean complaining here on DCP. They would complain through official channels, lobby to remove judges that deviate from the norm, and put pressure on leadership to provide consistency, just as corps staffs have been doing for the past 30-40 years. In all likelihood, the DCI judging administrator (even if he is a strike replacement himself) will feel compelled to respond to the demands of the corps (his employers), and pass that message along to the judges in a variety of ways. Not sure exactly how quickly the process would happen, but I would expect that by the start of the following season, the "problems" would be "fixed", and judging would once again have that familiar "consistency" (slotting) expected from DCI.

That first season sure would be fun, though.

regardless of who is judging I doubt the results throughout the season would be much different because the placement of the corps is pretty accurate from show to show. All you have to do is watch a show to know that the order is pretty accurate night to night.

• Like 1

This one is easy. Much like the NFL, DCI would see a sudden and profound affection for the regular judges. We would lament the subs and long for the regulars, who wouldn't have made so many mistakes and who are - are you ready for this one? - reliably consistent in their evaluations!

C'est la vie...

HH

• Like 1

As long as they actually judge GE Music the right way I'm all for it. The current judges have no clue what to do with that caption, and are, in my opinion, pretty far off in some cases.

I'm sorry, but to say the above is pretty naive. "the current judges have no clue what to do with that (GE) caption..."

Nine times out of ten, on DCP I would say the person making that baseless comment has no clue what the caption actually entails, or at the very least has no clue how DCI judges are trained to judge the sheets.

• Like 4

NFL refs have been on strike for a couple of weeks now and the replacement refs are causing near-fights with bad calls. The season's team standings are being drastically affected by the stand-in refs.

What if DCI judges went "on strike" (not that they could) and next season was judged by a batch of new judges, maybe inexperienced ones? How would it change the season?

it'd be ###### entertaining

I'm sorry, but to say the above is pretty naive. "the current judges have no clue what to do with that (GE) caption..."

Nine times out of ten, on DCP I would say the person making that baseless comment has no clue what the caption actually entails, or at the very least has no clue how DCI judges are trained to judge the sheets.

well, I think he's kind of right actually. They know how to judge the old sheets. I'm not sure they have the new ones down

• Like 1

" Intentional Grounding "

Instantly thought of the flying bari at the end of PR '91.

NFL refs have been on strike for a couple of weeks now and the replacement refs are causing near-fights with bad calls. The season's team standings are being drastically affected by the stand-in refs.

What if DCI judges went "on strike" (not that they could) and next season was judged by a batch of new judges, maybe inexperienced ones? How would it change the season?

A corps might score a 95 in early July, followed the next day by a 47.

• Like 1