Renegades to Europe in 2013

This being Empire's last year on the field.

Probably should go into a separate thread.

Agreed. I was just answering the question posed.

Out of curiosity, does DCE have a prelims/finals format? Are there any shows reasonably close (time wise) to the event? How much bang for the buck do you get from a DCE trip? Anyone have experience with this?

DCE does a have prelims/finals structure. I don't know about your other questions.

Out of curiosity, does DCE have a prelims/finals format? Are there any shows reasonably close (time wise) to the event? How much bang for the buck do you get from a DCE trip? Anyone have experience with this?

Mike

I just made the European tour and would be willing to share...

on Sept. 17th I flew to London... On Sept. 22nd DCUK had their championship up north in Mansfield England... It is a one day affair - old DCA style... prelims in the late morning/afternoon and finals at night... They had 11 open class corps and took 8 into open class finals... they did do something I found VERY wise... they did NOT eliminate anyone... the 4 lowest scoring open class corps went on first at night and competed for the Class A championship... how to take a lousy situation and turn it into a positive... very well done...

On Sunday Sept. 23rd, I flew from Manchester England to Rome Italy and toured rome... a biggie on my "Bucket List"...

On Wednesday Sept. 26th I flew to Frankfurt and spent a day in Frankfurt and then drove to Cologne - my FAVORITE city on the trip... what a great party town... spent the rest of the week there and then on Saturday Sept. 29th it took me 40 minutes to go 55 miles (gotta love the autobahn) to Kerkrade The Netherlands... for the DCE Championship

They limited the open class preliminary competition to 22 corps... you were seeded into prelims based on your score in a participating country championship... participating countries use the same rules and many of the same judges... They are England, The Netherlands, Germany, France and Italy... (and maybe Ireland?) There absolutely WERE corps that were eliminated from the DCE championships and I personally spoke with at least one corps director who was excluded and he felt the system is very much BROKEN... he felt he would have easily made finals and was excluded unreasonably because his local championship was 3 weeks earlier... it seems they have to stager the championships because of using many of the same judges... and of course it's weekend warrior time for these guys... the entire system is all aged in open class and VERY similar to DCA - not DCI... So any way, they have their problems and controversies too... They took the top 10 into the evening finals...

The next day I went back to Frankfurt and flew to London and on Wednesday completed the 17 day event returning to New York... very tired but thrilled at the opportunity...

Now, bottom line is, IF DCUK would take an outside corps and IF the tour could be say 10 days, and IF the budget would pay for the Atlantic crossing and the expense of getting to Kerkrade and back (flying to London or Manchester and returning from Cologne/Frankfurt or Amsterdam would be ridiculously expensive)... then, if the outside corps was accepted and achieved a score high enough to be seeded in Kerkrade prelims... then you go there IF DCE allows it... IF the corps wanted to go directly to DCE, they - I would hope - would have to modify their rules or make some exception and since the attraction might sell some tickets - IF they see that as a positive... hopefully they would allow it...

but what you see here is a whole bunch of IF's...

I also had a conversation with a MAJOR player in Europe who voiced his opinion that the potential traveling corps in question is EVERYTHING many of the Europeans HATE and fear... Big, Loud and obnoxious... He even thought that they may not score high enough to make finals... now wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth... take a major DCA top 10 corps 6000 miles or more at say $300,000 (a very educated guess) expense to MISS finals.... YIKES!!!!

Now, my normally active retired brain would like to say - heck, that couldn't happen... I KNOW DRUM CORPS....

BUT

Let me tell you that I sat on the 50 yard line and watched every corps in Kerkrade... I have NEVER watched a drum corps show - and I watched hundreds since the early 50's where I got the final order of finish so wrong... In one case, a corps finished .15 in third behind Kidsgrove... I would have had them between 5th and 7th... One of the Dutch corps I thought was magnificent - a tremendous color guard that tore the stands apart and a brass sound that was so sweet, controlled and blended that it brought tears to your eyes - and would be a close third to KS - and boom... they got blown out of the water...

What can I say folks... Foreign drum corps can be quite wonderful but it is NOT North American drum corps...

Edited by TomPeashey
  • Like 3

well if they go and don't score well, we can look forward to the international incident that follows

• Like 3

well if they go and don't score well, we can look forward to the international incident that follows

Team Evil vs Brit way of handling problems... OY! (and I ain't Jewish)

1995 trip to see relatives in Bristol. Coming home at Gatwick (or was it Heathrow?) there was a older Arabic couple ahead of us heading down the jetway to the plane. He's way over dressed in western style clothes and she has the veil and 5 step behind. Guard motions to her to remove the veil and he jumps in between them with a very angry line of verbal abuse.

Guards response in a very calm voice (picture Benny Hill :tongue: ): "Well... you DO want to get on the plane don't you?".

Took the guy 3 seconds to allow his wife to drop the veil.... after HE said to :rolleyes:

I'm not aware of any cultural aspect of the Renegades that would lend itself to damaging a hotel. If that was done it was done by individuals. Perhaps if there had been a pattern of hotel damage for more than one year, it could be said that the Renegades contributed to the situation. Otherwise, it was an single unfortunate incident that DCA can deal with in whatever way they choose.

• Like 5

For the last few years I have kept my mouth shut about things but at this point I am still nearly OFF the radar so s**** it.

I have read the first few pages of this and listened to one 2nd-hand account, As a journalist I must admit that to you and also advise that my words are VERY VERY biased in favor of The Renegades and anything management decides to say or do.

That said, do you know who stood in front of the hornline the 1st time I put my horn up to play at SCV? That would be Chris Nalls. He gave me my 1st chance [to be a top 6 player...]

You know who took care of me when I had NOTHING? That would be Greg Gilman, Roland Garceau and Rich Skare (may he rest in peace).

I love all of you and I know that we can weather this. I will speak plainly;

Whatever may or may not have happened in the Lot or the hotel, I disagree w/ the sanction. This type of character assassination could do undue damage to a drum corps and is antithetical to the establishment clause of a Drum & Bugle Corps organization; which should be "to protect and promote drum corps."

No protection, huh?

I'm calling "shenanigans" on all of this.

[remainder removed to prevent repercussions to this writer/editor... except- can anyone say "good-ole-boy-club?"]

This is my interpretation of truth. Get at me if you disagree. -T

• Like 2

For the last few years I have kept my mouth shut about things but at this point I am still nearly OFF the radar so s**** it.

I have read the first few pages of this and listened to one 2nd-hand account, As a journalist I must admit that to you and also advise that my words are VERY VERY biased in favor of The Renegades and anything management decides to say or do.

That said, do you know who stood in front of the hornline the 1st time I put my horn up to play at SCV? That would be Chris Nalls. He gave me my 1st chance [to be a top 6 player...]

You know who took care of me when I had NOTHING? That would be Greg Gilman, Roland Garceau and Rich Skare (may he rest in peace).

I love all of you and I know that we can weather this. I will speak plainly;

Whatever may or may not have happened in the Lot or the hotel, I disagree w/ the sanction. This type of character assassination could do undue damage to a drum corps and is antithetical to the establishment clause of a Drum & Bugle Corps organization; which should be "to protect and promote drum corps."

No protection, huh?

I'm calling "shenanigans" on all of this.

[remainder removed to prevent repercussions to this writer/editor... except- can anyone say "good-ole-boy-club?"]

This is my interpretation of truth. Get at me if you disagree. -T

Make us understand more and fill in the blanks. Alluding to what happened and complaining about the result is counterproductive. Especially on DCP to the 8 or 9 people who read these things. But If you truly want people to believe you. Help them believe you. Or deal with the consequences.

• Like 1