The Neuroscience of Stage Fright

"...upwards of 27% of symphony orchestra musicians use beta blockers to help alleviate the symptoms of stage fright."

You failed to finish the quote from the NY Time Article from Oct 17, 2004 which completes this statement in context: "... a survey conducted by the International Conference of Symphony Orchestra Musicians, representing the 51 largest orchestras in the United States, revealed 27% of its musicians had used beta blockers and 70% obtained them from friends, not physicians." This fits right into the (illegal) use of drugs which has permeated the music scene for many, many years. Drugs of various degrees have been used for many reasons in the arts; some people even claiming their creative genius is enhanced through the effects of using psychological altering drugs. I, for one, am not an advocate for any drug use except in: a)very, very rare cases (such as a person goes into life threatening convulsions through the fight-flight response and therefore needs beta blockers to keep from dying); and b) the use of medication should only prescribed to very, very few people by real honest physicians (ie 'not' the docs who prescribe marijuana for tummy-aches to thousands of people).

"...upwards of 27% of symphony orchestra musicians use beta blockers to help alleviate the symptoms of stage fright."

You failed to finish the quote from the NY Time Article from Oct 17, 2004 which completes this statement in context: "... a survey conducted by the International Conference of Symphony Orchestra Musicians, representing the 51 largest orchestras in the United States, revealed 27% of its musicians had used beta blockers and 70% obtained them from friends, not physicians." This fits right into the (illegal) use of drugs which has permeated the music scene for many, many years. Drugs of various degrees have been used for many reasons in the arts; some people even claiming their creative genius is enhanced through the effects of using psychological altering drugs. I, for one, am not an advocate for any drug use except in: a)very, very rare cases (such as a person goes into life threatening convulsions through the fight-flight response and therefore needs beta blockers to keep from dying); and b) the use of medication should only prescribed to very, very few people by real honest physicians (ie 'not' the docs who prescribe marijuana for tummy-aches to thousands of people).

It's actually a pretty common Rx (I see it all the time), just not for managing anxiety.

Any drug, repeat, any drug that is seen that often is being 'abused' by either the physician, the user, or both.

I'll be sure to tell that to all the Type II diabetics I see taking Metformin.

• Like 3

That's given me a fright, I just need to find a stage now.....

Yeah; I have that affect on people.

Edit: Someone didn't appreciate that I used "affect" instead of "effect." My bad.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

. . .did you pick up a doctorate in Pharmacology we don't know about in the off-season? :tongue:

well he had every degree possible in finance and ethics, so he wanted to branch out

• Like 2

ya know, given the medical procedure i'm having in a month, I'm ok with taking 20

It depends on the performer. I've not had issues with performance in music, but it's been a part of my life since I could remember.

The numbers don't surprise me, as I know of a number of music majors/minors where I went to college that freaked out over performances (usually solo recitals or juries).

Which is almost completely off the topic. If you'd like to start a thread over this, you're welcome to.