The Neuroscience of Stage Fright

Yeah; I have that affect on people.

Edit: Someone didn't appreciate that I used "affect" instead of "effect." My bad.

Actually, I did notice that. :cool:

Years back, I read an interview with Frank Sinatra in which he said he had some level of stage fright/anxiety before every one of his performances.

I gotta figure... if the guy who is arguably the greatest performance artist in history, with a career that spanned decades and various forms of entertainment (stage, screen, TV, recording, etc.) got stage fright and dealt with it, then hey... we can have it, and deal with it, too.

Not talking diabetes; talking about something non life-threatening like stage-fright.

:blink:

But that's not what you actually said.

You responded to this post from me: "It's actually a pretty common Rx (I see it all the time), just not for managing anxiety."

With this: "Any drug, repeat, any drug that is seen that often is being 'abused' by either the physician, the user, or both."

Well, medications prescribed for diseases like diabetes and heart disease also happen to fit into the "any drug, repeat, any drug" category. Come to think of it, ALL drugs do. :smile: Beta blockers happen to be commonly prescribed to people with a history of heart disease.

• Like 2

:blink:

But that's not what you actually said.

You responded to this post from me: "It's actually a pretty common Rx (I see it all the time), just not for managing anxiety."

With this: "Any drug, repeat, any drug that is seen that often is being 'abused' by either the physician, the user, or both."

Well, medications prescribed for diseases like diabetes and heart disease also happen to fit into the "any drug, repeat, any drug" category. Come to think of it, ALL drugs do. :smile: Beta blockers happen to be commonly prescribed to people with a history of heart disease.

Look; this is my point: We have become a 'drug fixes all' culture because they are easier than dealing head on with lifestyle issues which is not what drugs were designed to accomplish. A physician who really cares for a patient will actually do almost anything to prevent a patient from going on a drug in the first place; and if they have to prescribe something the physician will do anything to help a patient get off of drugs. Nevertheless, our culture has developed into a society of give me a drug to fix the problem. I mean come on, most people, not all, but most with stage-fright should never take a beta blocker, period. Why? Because like all prescription drugs they can have severe side effects and should only be used in rare cases of stage-fright. Some people have to takes meds or they will die, that is true. However many, not all, but many with health issues can actually control those issues with shear diet, exercise, as well as stopping smoking; but in the culture of today many just rely on the gimme the drugs instead of changing their lifestyles. And this I know from personal experience; as long as I remain on my physician monitored diet and exercise regime my own heart condition is controlled without meds; but if I go back to the weight I was at previously and go back to the couch with chips and sodas instead of the bike and water I will be right back on those meds. So, again, in my opinion we are way to quick and way to dependent on drugs to fix our problems; especially with what are typically minor issues like stage-fright.

• Like 1

So, again, in my opinion we are way to quick and way to dependent on drugs to fix our problems; especially with what are typically minor issues like stage-fright.

I respect your opinion, but I suggest no issue is minor to a person when they're the one trying to deal with it.

Look; this is my point: We have become a 'drug fixes all' culture because they are easier than dealing head on with lifestyle issues which is not what drugs were designed to accomplish. A physician who really cares for a patient will actually do almost anything to prevent a patient from going on a drug in the first place; and if they have to prescribe something the physician will do anything to help a patient get off of drugs. Nevertheless, our culture has developed into a society of give me a drug to fix the problem. I mean come on, most people, not all, but most with stage-fright should never take a beta blocker, period. Why? Because like all prescription drugs they can have severe side effects and should only be used in rare cases of stage-fright. Some people have to takes meds or they will die, that is true. However many, not all, but many with health issues can actually control those issues with shear diet, exercise, as well as stopping smoking; but in the culture of today many just rely on the gimme the drugs instead of changing their lifestyles. And this I know from personal experience; as long as I remain on my physician monitored diet and exercise regime my own heart condition is controlled without meds; but if I go back to the weight I was at previously and go back to the couch with chips and sodas instead of the bike and water I will be right back on those meds. So, again, in my opinion we are way to quick and way to dependent on drugs to fix our problems; especially with what are typically minor issues like stage-fright.

um, no offense, but since doctors often get kickbacks for reccomending drugs, and HMOs pay better f they are prescribed, doctors do what pays the bills.

signed,

the guy who turns down most every drug suggested to him

Sometimes I take a couple of shots before a big performance if I start feeling nervous...

That's the same thing as taking a pill basically.

The question is what does the most damage? The pill or the alcohol. Any professional medical opinion?